ALC #11: Conduit by The Spill Canvas

View previous topic :: View next topic
Keatownrodriguez
Aimless Angler

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2021 18:43
  • Post subject: ALC #11: Conduit by The Spill Canvas

Conduit by The Spill Canvas

I'm not sure if very many people are familiar with this band but they're one of my all-time favorite groups from the 2000s. Notably, their album Car Crashes & Sunsets with great tracks like The Tide and All Hail The Heartbreaker. So I was already really excited to see that they had a new project out but I ended up liking Conduit quite a lot too. It has a bit more of an anthemic rock album vibe as opposed to their old bedroom emo sound but it still feels like the same band to me. I think Firestorm would've worked beautifully as an opener but it's still great to have a high-energy rocker like that so early in the run. Darkside keeps that energy up even if I'm not as huge of a fan of it. Calendars, Blueprints, and Cost seem to be a slower section of the album delivering great emotional moments but then the end of Cost some out of nowhere as a MASSIVE heavy hitter with a gut-punching bridge. Akathisia and Conduit are more great rocking tunes with molecules thrown in between them to break things up a bit before the end of the record.
I'm really eager to hear what everyone else thinks about this one because it's been really fun for me to have these guys back!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2021 19:01
  • Post subject:
Can't say this sounds like my thing, but it'll go in the queue Smile

Haven't heard anything about this one yet.

EDIT: I gave a couple tracks a spin, but I'm not sold this is for me Confused

Last edited by Hayden on 04/18/2021 14:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2021 23:59
  • Post subject:
Short comment: this was meh, not bad but also not really what I'm looking for in 2021.

Slightly longer comment: I haven't heard of The Spill Canvas before, but had I been introduced to them in the 2000s as you were Keatownrodriguez, I'm sure I would've loved them. I've certainly clung to bands I loved around that time like Sum 41 and Muse; their recent music has been just okay but I've still enjoyed it.

While I've only heard a couple of their 2000s songs, I can already see how they evolved from emo into a more straightforward rock sound. It's a pretty cool progression, and I'd like to hear more of the beginning and the in-between. Thanks for the recommendation Keatownrodriguez, you've inadvertently led me to seek out The Spill Canvas' back catalogue.
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/17/2021 15:43
  • Post subject:
More or less what EyeKanFly said, this one really flew under the radar. Not only hadn't I listened to anything by them until now, I didn't even know they existed - which is somewhat puzzling considering this emo/pop style was quite successful for a good part of the '00s, not that I was a fan even back then but most of the cool kids were - judging by demographics of its fan base, I should have been 3-5 years older for the perfect timing - , so it was impossible to ignore the existence of this sub-genre. Anyway, I checked their 2004 album first - from what I understand it is viewed as their best - and it was kinda ok, at least taken into the context of its time period it didn't stand out in a positive or negative way compared to other emo/pop I'm familiar with (My Chemical Romance / Say Anything) . Also, there was another pop group, they had a couple of hits and then disappeared, I think their name included the phrase Last Night or This Night or something similar, maybe someone else remembers them. In any case, the vocals here reminded me of them. Then I moved on to their newest album, which was also somewhat middle of the road for me, but I guess once you're out of their target group age-wise it's not that easy to relate.
All in all, I wasn't particularly excited, but thanks for sharing an album with personal significance, it's like allowing us to get a glimpse of your character and I consider this more important than choosing a great album which doesn't mean that much to you.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2021 12:37
  • Post subject:
I was at least ten years too old for style of music when it came out in the 2000s. I tried to listen to some of the bigger names of this genre - emo pop per RYM- just because I like to keep abreast of musical trends and I pretty much like all kinds of music. So with that said, I think this fits in perfectly with the best of what I've heard from this sub-genre. Not something I would typically reach for (just because I'm OLD! LOL), but solid radio rock.
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 06/08/2021 22:22
  • Post subject:
I'll be perfectly honest the only thing that kept me from hating this was the fact that it sounded close enough to stuff that might come on my pandora stations during a late night of too much homework in middle school. but ultimately there's very little for me here. vocals manage to be actually worse that standard emo/pop punk/hot topic white-boy-whining as they veer towards post-grunge grunting, and lyrically it's uh... well there's a reason it brings me back to middle school. instrumentally it's got that awful warped tour vibe where everything despite being sleekly produced and fairy staid and saccharine structurally is played as if it's the edgiest shit on earth, but like this would've been tired in 2005 let alone [current year]. sorry fam can't say I'm a fan