Chart talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/03/2021 13:50
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
@LedZep, do they sell 100% real maple syrup in Croatian supermarkets? If so, it's almost certainly worth picking up some before you're in our neighborhood. Even mediocre pure maple syrup is far better than that flavored corn syrup.
There's this American shop near me that sells a lot of American brands that aren't widely available or loved in these parts (dr. Pepper or Reese's for example). I've bought a maple syrup there once, and once in Lidl (German supermarket chain) and both were ok, but neither was great. Now I know virtually nothing about maple syrups, so it's possible that I bought some mishmash that's not pure maple syrup. But I'm taking notes here, this thread is seemingly full of maple syrup experts Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2021 16:02
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
@LedZep, do they sell 100% real maple syrup in Croatian supermarkets? If so, it's almost certainly worth picking up some before you're in our neighborhood. Even mediocre pure maple syrup is far better than that flavored corn syrup.
There's this American shop near me that sells a lot of American brands that aren't widely available or loved in these parts (dr. Pepper or Reese's for example). I've bought a maple syrup there once, and once in Lidl (German supermarket chain) and both were ok, but neither was great. Now I know virtually nothing about maple syrups, so it's possible that I bought some mishmash that's not pure maple syrup. But I'm taking notes here, this thread is seemingly full of maple syrup experts Very Happy

You have to look at the ingredient list to make sure you're getting the real deal. There's only one in pure maple syrup.

Anyway, cool chart Hayden! My dad is a big fan of Stan Rogers so his music was a staple of my childhood. What's your favorite studio album of his?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/03/2021 18:22
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Anyway, cool chart Hayden! My dad is a big fan of Stan Rogers so his music was a staple of my childhood. What's your favorite studio album of his?

Studio studio? Fogarty's Cove. But I think his live albums are genuinely better (the one on my chart and the Halifax releases). The energy he got out of a crowd made it a blast. Great singer/songwriter. Always knew his limits and understood the music he wanted to make. Had a voice 20+ years older than he actually was too. Hoping people give the concert a chance, even if it's not entirely their thing. I'm didn't know his audience ever grew too much outside of Canada to be honest. Neat to hear he was a staple to some families south of the border. Razz

I think he had an incredibly definitive Canadian sound. No way I was leaving him off the first page of that chart. Barrett’s Privateers alone is essential.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2021 22:47
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:

Note to self, don't get between Hayden and maple syrup (hehe, just messin).

I wanted to make sure that post came across with the least amount of aggression possible Laughing. As long as you don't come out swinging saying table syrup is better, we're good.

(Haven't been to Bavaria, but Vienna is stellar— only been for a couple days in winter, but it's probably one my favourite cities in Europe).

Laughing

Yeah Vienna is quite the place. Spent over a year living off the Linke Wienzeile near Mariahilfestrasse.

Munich and Nurnberg are great places to be too.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/13/2021 03:10
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Hayden wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:

I wanted to make sure that post came across with the least amount of aggression possible Laughing. As long as you don't come out swinging saying table syrup is better, we're good.

(Haven't been to Bavaria, but Vienna is stellar— only been for a couple days in winter, but it's probably one my favourite cities in Europe).

Laughing

Yeah Vienna is quite the place. Spent over a year living off the Linke Wienzeile near Mariahilfestrasse.

Nice! Very Happy Always great to have those sort of chapters in life. I just hopped over for a quick few day Christmas stay during a stint while I was living in France. Cheap last-minute let in Landstrasse. Hoping to go back some day, maybe for a few weeks in summer or something. Really enjoyed the vibe there. I've spent the holiday season in a few countries, and it was unquestionably my favourite. Fantastically festive. Feels like a place you can really sink your teeth into and enjoy living. Even did okay speaking German for a few days, but I really didn't talk to a whole lot of people. Haven't been to Munich or Nurnberg, but hopefully my feet land in both of them one day.

Best damn bratwurst I've ever had too. Stupidly good. You think you know sausage, and then BAM. You don't.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/13/2021 09:51
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Hayden wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:

Laughing

Lovely spots alright, my partner spent some time living in the south of Germany so I've got a certain fondness for the wider area and used be back and forth a bit.

Canadian maple syrup is great though, you guys do it right, London is probably the only place I've found it that was that good in Europe (now admittedly I don't look for it all that often or go out of my way to get it, given it lasts months for me, but still...).

Canadian meat and veg on the other hand, not for me...

Also, what's the deal with scones in Canada? I once spent an afternoon driving around Calgary with a mate who was showing me different versions of scones, trying to find ones similar to those back home and none were remotely close, like I genuinely have no idea what they were, but they sure weren't what we call scones.

Anyway, my ever-changing 21 chart hit 100 entries recently so figured I'd make it public, comments supposed to be coming and a lot of changes needed but I'm in the final month of a post-grad whilst working full time so yeah, it can wait. It's definitely full of albums you've all probably already heard anyhow, Irish local stuff to be added in time (the good stuff...).

Top 100 Music Albums of 2021 by Patman360

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/13/2021 14:36
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:

... well, okay, fair Embarassed (even locally we don't have good stuff... we mostly stock American produce. It's a shame, cause there's tonnes of farms and farmland, and most of them harvest pretty good stuff (berries, potatoes, onions), but our logistics and quality checks are incompetently poor, and costs are outrageous. I've worked on farms here, and clearly the quality stuff doesn't get out to market for some reason. Doesn't help we're also really uncreative with our meat. Just... y'know... overdone beef. Right now we're in the midst of #buttergate. (and don't get me started on the quality of our restaurants). No idea why you guys would buy our stuff in Ireland.

Being said, we have maple syrup! Very Happy

And you talking about these?

Did you have to drink a bucket of water afterwards? During? Hopefully before?

(there's also a bit on Curb Your Enthusiasm about them).
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 04/13/2021 14:54
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

After unquestionably far too much time, Maple Syrup.

where's the great big sea
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/14/2021 11:38
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Patman360 wrote:

... well, okay, fair Embarassed (even locally we don't have good stuff... we mostly stock American produce. It's a shame, cause there's tonnes of farms and farmland, and most of them harvest pretty good stuff (berries, potatoes, onions), but our logistics and quality checks are incompetently poor, and costs are outrageous. I've worked on farms here, and clearly the quality stuff doesn't get out to market for some reason. Doesn't help we're also really uncreative with our meat. Just... y'know... overdone beef. Right now we're in the midst of #buttergate. (and don't get me started on the quality of our restaurants). No idea why you guys would buy our stuff in Ireland.

Being said, we have maple syrup! Very Happy

And you talking about these?

Did you have to drink a bucket of water afterwards? During? Hopefully before?

(there's also a bit on Curb Your Enthusiasm about them).

Couldn't get used to Canadian beef alright when I was living there and you're right, costs were outrageous for what you get, but I think we're just spoiled in terms of meat and veg in Ireland, we don't produce much exotic food or fancy dishes, but we do some top tier meat and veg (and being an island, fish), I think food is the thing we all miss most when we're away, there was actually an Irish/Scottish shop in downtown Calgary that stocked a ton of Irish food that was expensive but worth it, naturally no meat however...

Your maple syrup though, amazing, and Tim Hortons is dope (I know there's a fair bit of controversy around them and their treatment of employees and they generally sound terrible to work for) but their stuff is great, there's a few in the UK now and none on our side of the border, but queues were generally ludicrous, planned on getting to the Birmingham one a few times but could never get close to getting in the door...

Those are the ones and some variations on that anyway, a lot of water was needed, it was just fascinating to me how difficult it was to get a simple plain scone that wasn't insanely dry, think that season of Curb Your Enthusiasm actually sums them up quite well!

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/14/2021 16:11
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Hayden wrote:

After unquestionably far too much time, Maple Syrup.

where's the great big sea

They... umm.... are somewhere, just... not... there. (there's a lot of big names excluded to be fair— I didn't even put Rush or The Tragically Hip on the board).

Patman360 wrote:
I think food is the thing we all miss most when we're away,

It's usually the food I look forward to getting away from the most when I leave Embarassed. The Canadian pallet isn't... great. And grocery prices are squeezing people like mad, especially up north, where a head of broccoli can be £7.50, easy. Even where I live in the south, I've seen watermelons go for up to 17CAD. Most nationals really into food (or talented in the kitchen) typically leave for Europe. I'm not thrilled with Tim's. Won't get into it, but apart from a couple doughnuts in passing, it isn't my thing. They've also gone downhill rapidly the past ten years (nor are they Canadian anymore). But that's a conversation for a different time/forum Very Happy

Hopefully the day comes I can visit Ireland and give some of your stuff a try. Figured I'd get on some sort of Iceland/Ireland/Scotland visit eventually. Think Canadians can stay 3-ish months without qualm. Any recs outside of Dublin/Cork would be cool.

And yeah, you learned your scone lesson. Don't do that here. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website