View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2021 18:17
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Mercury wrote:

On that SVE epic 10 album or whatever, I don't think I fully understand what it is. Just covers or reimaginings of her album from 10 years ago?

You understand it perfectly. It's covers and reimaginings of her album from 10 years ago (which I haven't heard, and I'm holding out on). In a sense it's not even a Sharon Van Etten record... it's Big Red Machine (Bon Iver/ Aaron Dessner), IDLES, Lucinda Williams, Shamir, Courtney Barnett, St. Panther and Fiona Apple. Almost a tribute album kinda style.

huh... that sounds somewhat interesting. I gotta say I had no idea at all that Sharon Van Etten was held in such high regard as to get such a roster of musicians paying tribute to her or any of her albums. I did not know or even have an inkling that Epic was somehow regarded as a great modern classic. I personally heard it once and quite liked it. But yeah the fact that FIONA FUCKING APPLE, and LUCINDA FRIGGIN WILLIAMS are showing up to take part in this is kinda blowing my mind and making me start to re-look at that album and artist.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/13/2021 18:33
  • Post subject:
Quote:
huh... that sounds somewhat interesting. I gotta say I had no idea at all that Sharon Van Etten was held in such high regard as to get such a roster of musicians paying tribute to her or any of her albums. I did not know or even have an inkling that Epic was somehow regarded as a great modern classic. I personally heard it once and quite liked it. But yeah the fact that FIONA FUCKING APPLE, and LUCINDA FRIGGIN WILLIAMS are showing up to take part in this is kinda blowing my mind and making me start to re-look at that album and artist.

I never gave it a spin. First time will be this week back-to-back with the covers album Razz

If you're looking for upcoming stuff to keep in your queue, there was a whole slate of albums announced today too. Freddie Gibbs, MIKE, Erika de Casier, Dam-Funk, Black Keys (blues cover album), Lucy Dacus, Danny Elfman, Young Thug, Sasu Ripatti, Anjimile, Mabe Fratti (her last two works were some of my favourites of their year), Anderson East, Maple Glider, James Vincent McMorrow, an archived Prince record, and the new hottest thing in town Olivia Rodrigo. Wild day for announcements. (And I'm under the impression Tkay Maidza will announce something soon).

Also, I was under the impression the Arooj Aftab was coming out Friday, but it's actually next Friday. Either way, worth keeping an eye on.

EDIT: Geez... the names keep coming. SPELLING, Pan Daijing, Foodman, José González, Liz Phair and Cam'ron all announced new albums yesterday too.

Last edited by Hayden on 04/14/2021 17:24; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2021 02:39
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Nieguid Duovdagat by Ánnámáret
Finally, this has been sitting near the top of my year chart for about a month now, and I think it's going to stick around. "Sámi joik, archaic sound of the Finnish bowed lyre jouhikko and organic electronic music". Very unique, raw, excellently mixed and mastered, and the combinations of styles never feels out of place. Almost hypnotic. Thoroughly impressed with the project.

life changing
  • Visit poster's website
travelful

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2021 15:46
  • Post subject:
New Conway album Friday. JID and Ludacris confirmed on the album.

it's the machine, bitch
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/14/2021 15:51
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
life changing

Yeah, it's quite the piece. Hoping it gets a bit more traction. I don't usually stumble across something unlike anything I've ever heard before anymore, let alone something this strong. I think it's an excellent release. Deserves some open ears. Glad you gave it a shot Smile

Quote:
Also new stuff from (...) Ballaké Sissoko (...)

Djourou by Ballaké Sissoko

Just returning to say I gave the new Sissoko record a listen this morning, and it hit way above expectations. Very light, dreamlike, warm. Best kora album I've heard in years. Glad he managed to recoup after last year's... erm... fiasco with US customs...

But he's back at it with a new instrument, and a couple guests with excellent additions. Well worth a listen, even if it usually isn't your cup of tea.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2021 16:02
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Yeah, it's quite the piece. Hoping it gets a bit more traction. I don't usually stumble across something unlike anything I've ever heard before anymore, let alone something this strong. I think it's an excellent release. Deserves some open ears. Glad you gave it a shot Smile

Quote:
Also new stuff from (...) Ballaké Sissoko (...)

Djourou by Ballaké Sissoko

Just returning to say I gave the new Sissoko record a listen this morning, and it hit way above expectations. Very light, dreamlike, warm. Best kora album I've heard in years. Glad he managed to recoup after last year's... erm... fiasco with US customs...

But he's back at it with a new instrument, and a couple guests with excellent additions. Well worth a listen, even if it usually isn't your cup of tea.

I'll have to check this out.

As someone who's ALSO had an instrument destroyed by TSA... I feel for Sissoko more than I can put into words. And the fact that his was so special and custom-made just makes me so sad. The idiotic US TSA pull shit like this all the time. If you want something truly protected while flying within or out of the US, you're better off putting it in the mail (or one of the private shipping companies like FedEx or DHL) than trying to check it on your flight. While package handling is still egregious, for some reason the TSA involved in passenger flights are significantly more barbaric than the ones handling commercial/shipping.
travelful

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2021 16:27
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Moved it to my second favorite album of 2021 immediately after first listen. "Johtit Ain" sounds like my soundtrack of 2021
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/14/2021 16:58
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

As someone who's ALSO had an instrument destroyed by TSA... I feel for Sissoko more than I can put into words. And the fact that his was so special and custom-made just makes me so sad. The idiotic US TSA pull shit like this all the time. If you want something truly protected while flying within or out of the US, you're better off putting it in the mail (or one of the private shipping companies like FedEx or DHL) than trying to check it on your flight. While package handling is still egregious, for some reason the TSA involved in passenger flights are significantly more barbaric than the ones handling commercial/shipping.

Hope you give it a spin. I just hit play on Bandcamp, but I'm sure it's available everywhere. Gorgeous playing. There's a peaceful hypnotism to the record that makes it a pretty easy listen no matter what. The track (bluntly titled) Kora with Camille has this excellent neo-classical French pop fusion that I swear sounds like it would never work on paper, but somehow ends up being a highlight. The title track, a 'duet' with Sona Jobarteh, is also a standout.

Sorry for your loss Sad. Absolutely the worst. I would hate travelling with any instrument more delicate than an acoustic guitar, at most Embarassed. It's always devastating, but especially for a rare and expensive piece like a kora (harp, sitar, haegeum, cello, etc). Not just the States to be fair. I remember a while back the Canadians ruined the Cure's lead guitar somehow or another too. Think there was also an ivory piano stripped somewhere because ivory was banned in that country Rolling Eyes. Think the worst I ever faired was a destroyed luggage handle, but that's pretty common. Good tip with DHL/Fedex though.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2021 17:21
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:

Hope you give it a spin. I just hit play on Bandcamp, but I'm sure it's available everywhere. Gorgeous playing. There's a peaceful hypnotism to the record that makes it a pretty easy listen no matter what. The track (bluntly titled) Kora with Camille has this excellent neo-classical French pop fusion that I swear sounds like it would never work on paper, but somehow ends up being a highlight. The title track, a 'duet' with Sona Jobarteh, is also a standout.

Sorry for your loss Sad. Absolutely the worst. I would hate travelling with any instrument more delicate than an acoustic guitar, at most Embarassed. It's always devastating, but especially for a rare and expensive piece like a kora (harp, sitar, haegeum, cello, etc). Not just the States to be fair. I remember a while back the Canadians ruined the Cure's lead guitar somehow or another too. Think there was also an ivory piano stripped somewhere because ivory was banned in that country Rolling Eyes. Think the worst I ever faired was a destroyed luggage handle, but that's pretty common. Good tip with DHL/Fedex though.

Listening to the album now and it's great, probably the best kora music I've heard. I've listened to a decent amount of Toumani Diabaté and I think this beats any of his albums. The "duets" on Djourou are all really good. I was actually a little surprised that the track with Salif Keita wasn't as much of a highlight as I was expecting.

And yeah my instrument was a cello. Not a very good one (for a not very good player lol), if I recall I was just visiting relatives and was going to play for/with them. I really didn't like to do that, and I guess I ended up in a monkey's paw scenario. And now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was the airline or TSA who were responsible, could have been either. The only other thing I've had damaged by TSA was a special pack of beer that I brought home from vacation to share with friends, and TSA took one of the beers lol (it was in a box so I guess they opened the box and maybe broke open a beer trying to do that?). I wasn't even mad about that one, just confused. They ended up leaving a note and I was reimbursed for the cost of the whole box so I'd say I've fared significantly better than Sissoko or the Cure.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/15/2021 00:03
  • Post subject:
Glad to see people enjoy Djourou. Gave it a spin when it dropped, but it wasn't a very focused listen. Have to give it another go after these glowing reviews.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website