Moggie Miners Music Memories

View previous topic :: View next topic
MoggieMiner

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/09/2021 23:48
  • Post subject: Moggie Miners Music Memories
On the headphones today, continuing the trip through 1968.

Great album by The Temptations - Wish It would Rain. Brilliant mature stuff from a band now more interested in the long player form than the 7".

Wish It Would Rain by The Temptations

Also The Papa's and the Mama's from [guess who]. Well worth a listen. Past their prime as a singles band but this album really shines. A good solid body of work.

The Papas & The Mamas by The Mamas And The Papas

And what about The Beach Boys 7" Friends / Little Bird, with Denny on lead for the flipside. Give it a listen.

On Vinyl.

(pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) ...rd Skynyrd

Lynyrd Skynryd's first album [pronounced...]. Not a duff track. Tuesday's Gone is sublime and yes there's Free bird

Def Leppard. Hysteria. Not everybody's cuppa but boy did it sell. The 12" versions of the singles were great as well, especially Armageddon It.
Sounds dated in places, but the Double 180g Vinyl sounds awesome LOUD. Love Bites, Love and Affection and the title track are top draw. Strangely enough, never liked the singles Women and Rocket. In all honesty I prefer the previous two albums High & Dry and Pyromania.[Photograph and Bringing' On The Heartache are up there.]

Hysteria by Def Leppard
  • Visit poster's website
MoggieMiner

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/10/2021 23:34
  • Post subject: 10th April 2021
From 1968

The Byrd's - first album without David Crosby. Didn't suffer for it. Goin' Back is just beautiful

The Notorious Byrd Brothers by The Byrds

The next Byrds album was with Gram Parsons and was definitely the better for him. He didnt hang around long and was soon off with the Burrito's.

Sweetheart Of The Rodeo by The Byrds

As a bonus listen to the Terry Reid Single from '68. Better By far / Fire's Alive.

He could have been in Zeppelin but turned it down and recommended Percy. And we know the rest. Great singer is our Tez.

On Vinyl, Listened to this [Steven Wilson Mix] and it sounds top notch. My favourite track is Wind Up. Overlooked in favour of the other classics on this album.
Wondering Aloud is a gem. Wondering Again is its bigger brother from the Living In The Past Compilation of '72

Aqualung by Jethro Tull
  • Visit poster's website
MoggieMiner

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/11/2021 23:55
  • Post subject:
Played this one today. One of Dolly's big breakthrough albums. The track 'The Bridge' was very controversial at the time [1968] telling the story of a pregnant single girl who commits suicide. Straight after the last words "here it ends". the track stops suddenly. Have a play on download if you haven't got a physical copy. Its pretty strong stuff from a young Dolly.

Just Because I'm A Woman by Dolly Parton

One of my favourite artists, Tom Petty. Sadly missed. Brilliant through his whole career and 'wouldn't back down' .If you've read his story, you'll know those words ring true.
'Free Fallin' is just so simple yet it works on every level. Just a beauty and a understated magic to it.

Full Moon Fever by Tom Petty
  • Visit poster's website
MoggieMiner

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/13/2021 00:25
  • Post subject:
This groups first album from 1968. Most people seem to like the 'Happy Trails' album more. I disagree. This is a good inventive debut album.

Quicksilver Messenger Service by Quicks...er Service

This Genesis album had the Critics waiting to tear it apart. Peter Gabriel had left and Phil Collins took over the mantle after the group decided no one else could do it better.
First heard this when I was 14 or 15. I think today is the first time I have played it on Vinyl in about 40 years.
It is a beautiful album [and a beautiful package]. Still sounds good. The only track I never liked was the Collins play up of 'Robbery Assault & Battery' although the Instrumental break is great, and time has made me a little more forgiving towards it
The remaining 7 tracks are superb.
Oh, by the way, the Critics actually seemed to like it on release.

A Trick Of The Tail by Genesis
  • Visit poster's website
MoggieMiner

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/13/2021 23:37
  • Post subject:

Lumpy Gravy by Frank Zappa And The Abnu...mp; Chorus

Played this one today. Not an easy listen. HOWEVER...every one should be made to listen to at least 50 Zappa albums. Minimum. You should not be able to leave school until you have been Zappa-ised. You should not be able to vote, drink, shag or shit unless thou hast worshipped at the Church of Zappa.

And wait till we get to the fast and bulbous one...

Bowie At The Beeb by David Bowie

Played some tracks from David Bowie's BBC Sessions 1968 - 1972. Definitely one of the better BBC collections because it is pure FUN. The first sessions from 1968 show him confident as ever. Silly Boy Blue was the first Bowie song to get a cover version...by Billy Fury
  • Visit poster's website
MoggieMiner

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/16/2021 00:14
  • Post subject:

Agents Of Fortune by Blue Öyster Cult

Great album from 1976. Followed by a great debut album from February 1978

The Kick Inside by Kate Bush

This is a stunning collection. Not one bad [or even average] track out of the thirteen. Instead of the hits, try the track 'The Kick Inside' or the opener 'Moving'. Beautiful.

Also played this one from May 1968

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake by Small Faces

Some weak spots but when it hits..it hits home. Song of the baker, Rollin Over' and my personal favourite, Afterglow Of Your Love' are brilliant.
Happy days [Toytown] all round. Only Kenney Jones left alive. Plonk, Mac and Stevie much missed.
  • Visit poster's website