Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/16/2021 15:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

It's usually the food I look forward to getting away from the most when I leave Embarassed. The Canadian pallet isn't... great. And grocery prices are squeezing people like mad, especially up north, where a head of broccoli can be £7.50, easy. Even where I live in the south, I've seen watermelons go for up to 17CAD. Most nationals really into food (or talented in the kitchen) typically leave for Europe. I'm not thrilled with Tim's. Won't get into it, but apart from a couple doughnuts in passing, it isn't my thing. They've also gone downhill rapidly the past ten years (nor are they Canadian anymore). But that's a conversation for a different time/forum Very Happy

Hopefully the day comes I can visit Ireland and give some of your stuff a try. Figured I'd get on some sort of Iceland/Ireland/Scotland visit eventually. Think Canadians can stay 3-ish months without qualm. Any recs outside of Dublin/Cork would be cool.

And yeah, you learned your scone lesson. Don't do that here. Laughing

Did notice that about your vegetable prices actually, peppers were ludicrously expensive. I get that with Tim's, I guess we enjoyed it cause it's so different to what we're used to, we've essentially got Starbucks and Costa which are fairly meh, and independent stuff beyond that which ranges from incredible to muck, always found Tims to hit the spot for us foreigners!

Dublin and Cork are obviously the big ones, Cork is naturally my preference (I'm biased), but Galway and Belfast I'd highly recommend also. Beyond the cities there are some great places, Clonakilty and Kinsale are lovely towns with a lot of history and good food scenes, Dingle is quite touristy but offers a lot and the wider area is amazing. Big fan of Wexford also. It's such a small country though so you're never too far from anywhere, we're very car dependent admittedly given how many people live in rural locations, lots of fascinating stuff beyond the cities and towns also, we've had a colourful history...

Big shout out to Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Hebrides also, Scotland is an incredible country!

So yeah, chart talk!

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/16/2021 18:47
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:

So yeah, chart talk!

Don't even get me started on peppers. Evil or Very Mad (I've been growing my own the past year... red/green bell. Think I've gotten about two dozen or so from two plants Laughing. Pretty good ones too.)

And thanks for the Ireland recs Smile Will make a note.

Anywho. Anyone have a new chart to share?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2021 19:13
  • Post subject:
here's a world food chart Laughing
https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/ico...ry/slide-5
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2021 22:37
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
here's a world food chart Laughing
https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/ico...ry/slide-5

the picks for china are alright. personally, i'd recommend jianbing guozi and roujiamo as the two must-try street foods in china. they'll change your life.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2021 19:09
  • Post subject:
Ok, I'm bringing this back to music charts lol.

Partially inspired by Hayden's brilliant Canada chart, mostly inspired by the 51 for 51 movement (51 votes in the Senate to make DC the 51st US state), I've put together Washington, DC is paradise to me! 51 al... EyeKanFly

51 albums (and a handful of honorable mentions in the description, mostly single songs) which encapsulate the rich history and culture of the District of Columbia, from worldwide legends like Marvin Gaye, Fugazi, and Duke Ellington to visitors like PJ Harvey, Kendrick Lamar, and Rahim AlHaj to local favorites like Wale, Mambo Sauce, and Mahmoud Ahmed. Classical marches, gospel, jazz, bluegrass, funk, go-go (the official music genre of DC!), punk, indie rock, post-hardcore, Americana, world music! There's something for everyone.

Regardless of your views (or lack thereof) of DC politics both local and international, I encourage you to find something you love within these 51 albums, and something you love about my favorite city in the world.

eagerly awaiting a heated discussion about mumbo sauce (the condiment which is to DC as maple syrup is to Canada)
brun027

Brazil

• Posted: 05/06/2021 14:46
  • Post subject:
Hello, I'm here to divulge a chart I made, it's called Top 100 Music Albums of the 1980s by brun027
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 05/07/2021 10:35
  • Post subject:
brun027 wrote:
Hello, I'm here to divulge a chart I made, it's called Top 100 Music Albums of the 1980s by brun027

Hey, thanks for taking the time to share with us. I like how you include some classic records of that era, occasionally adding a slightly obscure title to the mix and of course many international albums that add an exotic flavour, would you mind externalising your thoughts on some of those? They are total strangers to me and I'd like to hear more about them. Also, your number one had been on my wishlist for quite some time now and your chart gave me a good excuse to finally try it out. I understand it's highly influential, adding progressive elements to electronic music, but I have to say I found it a difficult listen, I guess it took you many listens to get into its mood, right?
  • Visit poster's website
brun027

Brazil

• Posted: 05/10/2021 16:49
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Hey, thanks for taking the time to share with us. I like how you include some classic records of that era, occasionally adding a slightly obscure title to the mix and of course many international albums that add an exotic flavour, would you mind externalising your thoughts on some of those? They are total strangers to me and I'd like to hear more about them. Also, your number one had been on my wishlist for quite some time now and your chart gave me a good excuse to finally try it out. I understand it's highly influential, adding progressive elements to electronic music, but I have to say I found it a difficult listen, I guess it took you many listens to get into its mood, right?

Hello kokkinos, E2-E4 is a great album to me. People say it's influential, and I believe, not that I'm a great connoisseur of the history of 'electronic music', although I have an idea of something about something abouth this through my limited listening experience about this particular(ly vast) field, and to my eyes it's a very unique album that, as you say, adds progressive elements to electronic music. When I hear something is "influential" it is intriguing but not a reason to enjoy anything per se. To me I very much enjoyed it since my first listen, some years ago, because I already had a high tolerance to repetitiveness in music, and the music sounded very alive and unique to me, the synths are very impressive, different and orange. It sounded as an "evolution" to the kroutrock artists I already liked, including Gottsching's own previous projects. Now I have to admit it took me many listens, not to like it, but to fully appreciate it, and notice all the things going on in the record, because it may sound monotonous in a way, but once you start to notice the elements coming and going, the instruments, the betas, etc, you realize that there's actually a lot of variation, a lot creative labour, a lot of detail, and an album that's simultaniously complex and (yes) very groovy and organic. I've seen someone on the internet comment they went to rave parties dancing furiously to this album, and that tickled my immagination. So, to me, E2-E4 was and educative album to my ears, because it took me to places I didn't immagine at the begginig (it was a similar experience to Oval's 94diskont). Honestly it helped when I got better headphones and a better speakers. But I believe you can listen to it in different ways and it will be different experiences, like paying close attention or as more background music for exemple. I would suggest you take a listening to Manuel's previous solo album Inventions For Electric Guitar, which is in a way a less difficult listen while also of great beauty and inventiveness.

My #2, O Canto Dos Escravos, is the result of a research about songs that were sung by enslaved black people, re-given life by contemporary artists, it's a very powerful album, which recollects another time, at the same time, very relatable, since it's evident these are some sounds at the root of some modern rythms, and a portrait a way to deal with the colonial life through art, poetry, percussion, work, community, spirituality, triviality, etc. That through certain lenses is not that much different than what happens till today in the Americas, the continuity and the transformation. While I realize the language barrier prevents certain aspects from being accessible to many here (even if a lot of it is in kikongo, kimbundo, which i don't speak either), the music is alive, and welcoming to all.

I will share a couple songs from other albums

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2021 17:06
  • Post subject:
brun027 wrote:
My #2, O Canto Dos Escravos, is the result of a research about songs that were sung by enslaved black people, re-given life by contemporary artists, it's a very powerful album, which recollects another time, at the same time, very relatable, since it's evident these are some sounds at the root of some modern rythms, and a portrait a way to deal with the colonial life through art, poetry, percussion, work, community, spirituality, triviality, etc. That through certain lenses is not that much different than what happens till today in the Americas, the continuity and the transformation. While I realize the language barrier prevents certain aspects from being accessible to many here (even if a lot of it is in kikongo, kimbundo, which i don't speak either), the music is alive, and welcoming to all.

This is a really interesting background and has led me to seek out this album. Thank you for sharing! Great list by the way. I think I'm familiar with most of the North American and European albums you've included, but I'm unfamiliar with almost all the Brazilian albums as well as a good portion of the African albums. This seems like a great chart. I've been trying to expand my 80s palate and will certainly be taking some recs from here. Starting with O Canto Dos Escravos.
kokkinos

• Posted: 05/10/2021 18:57
  • Post subject:
brun027 wrote:
Hello kokkinos, E2-E4 is a great album to me. People say it's influential, and I believe, not that I'm a great connoisseur of the history of 'electronic music', although I have an idea of something about something abouth this through my limited listening experience about this particular(ly vast) field, and to my eyes it's a very unique album that, as you say, adds progressive elements to electronic music. When I hear something is "influential" it is intriguing but not a reason to enjoy anything per se. To me I very much enjoyed it since my first listen, some years ago, because I already had a high tolerance to repetitiveness in music, and the music sounded very alive and unique to me, the synths are very impressive, different and orange. It sounded as an "evolution" to the kroutrock artists I already liked, including Gottsching's own previous projects. Now I have to admit it took me many listens, not to like it, but to fully appreciate it, and notice all the things going on in the record, because it may sound monotonous in a way, but once you start to notice the elements coming and going, the instruments, the betas, etc, you realize that there's actually a lot of variation, a lot creative labour, a lot of detail, and an album that's simultaniously complex and (yes) very groovy and organic. I've seen someone on the internet comment they went to rave parties dancing furiously to this album, and that tickled my immagination. So, to me, E2-E4 was and educative album to my ears, because it took me to places I didn't immagine at the begginig (it was a similar experience to Oval's 94diskont). Honestly it helped when I got better headphones and a better speakers. But I believe you can listen to it in different ways and it will be different experiences, like paying close attention or as more background music for exemple. I would suggest you take a listening to Manuel's previous solo album Inventions For Electric Guitar, which is in a way a less difficult listen while also of great beauty and inventiveness.

A sublime and comprehensive account of its greatness. Nicely done, I'll make sure to keep it in mind during my next listening venture, be it E2-E4 or Inventions For Electric Guitar.

brun027 wrote:

This sounds full of promise, I'll definitely check it out. Many thanks.
  • Visit poster's website