ALC #15 Drujjha by Material Girl

View previous topic :: View next topic
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 05/10/2021 15:28
  • Post subject: ALC #15 Drujjha by Material Girl
https://noagreements.bandcamp.com/album/drujjha

Little mixtape from one of the more fascinating beat makers out right now. In love with the evolution from this post Tangram and how it actually begins reckoning with a lot of the questions of identity and chaos posed by their breakout record. Also, really enjoy the sheer amount of sound collage exploration here from the microsound break to the new orleans funerary jazz type closer while still remaining in the pocket of intentionality. Another good release from No Agreements which is quickly becoming one of my favorite internet label curators. Got the chance to do an interview with Material Girl just before this tape was released, unfortunately it was my very first interview so I'm definitely struggling a little but if you have the patience it's here.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2021 19:18
  • Post subject:
Thanks for sharing this, PossiblyMichigan.

First off, I listened to the interview before listening to the mixtape. A few notes on the interview, I hope you don't mind me commenting on that Anxious
I think you did a great job for a first interview, and I could tell that you got better and better as the interview went along, certainly more comfortable by the end than the beginning. I think that's probably pretty normal, and I think the progression of this one interview is probably a good sign for future work! I particularly have never been strong in interviews (whether professional or otherwise, interviewer or interviewee) but my one recommendation is to try to tone down the filler words ("um", "like"). It's better to just speak slowly or leave a pause instead of filling that pause with a word or utterance that doesn't contribute to the sentence or question. This was advice given to me on being an interview candidate (like...for job interviews, not cool ones like you're involved in lol). I know it's something we're all guilty of, and I'm no exception. It's something I try to be conscious of in a professional setting though. And all that said, I think the interview went wonderfully. You had great questions that were fairly easy to answer but also opened up the door to wonderful conversation. Your banter with Material Girl was awesome to the point that it seemed like you could've been old friends. You let Material Girl talk without interrupting, but then provided affirmation or additional talking points when they paused or needed another prompt. I think that's something that even experienced interviewers struggle with.

I hope you don't mind my comments there, I'm sure if you're doing this professionally (or even somewhat professionally), you probably receive input from others with much more experience and expertise than me, and I hope you take to heart what they say much more than some stranger on the internet haha.

Onto the actual mixtape. I must admit, I got quite nervous when during the interview I heard you and Material Girl draw multiple comparisons to Fax Gang. I really did not like Aethernet, I mean... it's an interesting experiment but it seems more like a novelty than anything. I don't think I'd want to listen to another album/mixtape by Fax Gang if it's more of the same ruddy fax machine sounds. I was pleasantly surprised upon listening to Material Girl to find it quite different.

I agree that the beat making is incredibly interesting. I thought the allusions to jazz and video game music were the most interesting, while some of the ambient/drone-driven sections fell a little flat. I think there were large sections of the mixtape where the music stagnates and it's just a simple tone or drone that goes on for a bit too long, and on the other side there's other portions of the mixtape where I'm really digging the track and it ends much too soon. Overall the mixtape was a pleasant surprise, certainly among the better half of albums I've listened to in 2021 so far, but not near the top. That said, it definitely warrants multiple listens. There's so many layers to this music that it draws you in and makes you want to continue being engaged.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/10/2021 19:26
  • Post subject: Re: ALC #15 Drujjha by Material Girl
PossiblyMichigan wrote:
https://noagreements.bandcamp.com/album/drujjha

Little mixtape from one of the more fascinating beat makers out right now. In love with the evolution from this post Tangram and how it actually begins reckoning with a lot of the questions of identity and chaos posed by their breakout record. Also, really enjoy the sheer amount of sound collage exploration here from the microsound break to the new orleans funerary jazz type closer while still remaining in the pocket of intentionality. Another good release from No Agreements which is quickly becoming one of my favorite internet label curators. Got the chance to do an interview with Material Girl just before this tape was released, unfortunately it was my very first interview so I'm definitely struggling a little but if you have the patience it's here.

Link

Aaaayy Very Happy Extra mile over here.

Should have a chance to give the mixtape and the interview a listen tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/10/2021 22:47
  • Post subject:
Wanted to like this more than I ended up liking it, but I can see some of the experiments on this tape being pretty interesting at times. For me, it just kind of washed over me and I felt not too impressed. Might need a few more listens.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/13/2021 16:24
  • Post subject:
Just dropping by again to say I gave it a stream. We Both Know It's True is an easy standout. Wish the rest of the release followed suit with that sound.
  • Visit poster's website
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 06/07/2021 08:29
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, PossiblyMichigan.

Hey I just wanted to come back and say I really appreciated the advice. As my first interview it's already remarkable to look back and see how much more I stammered at the beginning of the FM season. I'm using much less filler content and feeling more competent on the air. Some stuff still slips in but there's always room to improve.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 06/07/2021 14:03
  • Post subject:
Only my first listen, but I'd like to say that although the genre ain't for me and the lyrical rhythms wasn't that stellar, the musicianship throughout was pretty wholesome, especially WBKIT. Very much agreeing with EyeKanFly, and the interview was very nice. Both you and Material Girl/No Agreements did a good job in my eyes!

I see this as one of the few 2021-albums, that I've heard, that I actually want to revisit.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 07/09/2021 03:08
  • Post subject:
listening to the interview rn, real cool stuff so far but also damn how long have you had a show Stone?

anyway, cool record. Tangram has been on my wishlist since i first heard about it, not quite sure why I haven't gotten to it yet because everything I've heard about it sounds extremely up my alley, and this album has only encouraged me to check it out more both due to how I enjoyed it but also because of what frustrated me about it. on the one hand you have this really cool unexpectedly natural blend of diverse genres that ebband flow really naturally around one-another, but also I can't help but feel some of this sounds unfinished? In particular something about the longer tracks misses something for me, like as soon as something starts to get really interesting there's a shift into another sort of movement I guess, and I kinda wish they would spend a little longer fleshing some of that out before moving onto the next thing. BUT at the same time, there's something really magical here in this mess of ideas, there's a really neat interplay between focused expertise about how to Make Music and a kind of uncertainty about where things are going and how they're getting there. I listened to this once like a week ago so it's not as fresh in my mind (hence speaking mainly in vague generalities lmao) but I definitely enjoyed it, feel like I need to listen again with fresh ears but even moreso feel like I need to get on Tangram already