2021 Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Anti
Clueless 90% of the time.



Age: 25
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
United States

  • #321
  • Posted: 05/09/2021 21:19
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote

Reared Up In Spectral Predation by Univ... Estranged

So far my AOTY. Really cool sci-fi death metal with an old school feel to the guitars and some electronics to enhance the sci-fi experience. Not groundbreaking, but just a solid album.
_________________
Boy, what the hell is wrong with you?
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Tha1ChiefRocka
Supreme Commander



Location: Kansas
United States

  • #322
  • Posted: 05/12/2021 14:30
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote

Music For Living Spaces by Green-House

AOTY

Don't think that's going to change. Unless someone else comes out with some great New Age music this year.
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Daydreamer





  • #323
  • Posted: 05/12/2021 16:32
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Hayden wrote:
LedZep wrote:

Bright Green Field by Squid

This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.


Not to sound like a parrot, but this is a bizarrely strong year for post-punk. I'm only halfway through the record, but this is excellent. If it keeps up this quality through the second half, I mean... I think five of the best post-punk records this century have been released in the past 4.5 months. It's insane.

Good on these guys though. Great sound throughout. Not thrilled with the cover, looks more like a single or techno EP or something, but I'm assuming it'll grow on me.



And I had no idea there was a new (albeit short) DOOM project coming out. Going to hit play on that soon.


What 5 albums are you reffering to? I guess Squid and Black Country, New Road ones are guaranteed picks, but I'm curious about the rest, since I've found some of the hyped post-punk albums from this year to be a bit underwhelming.
_________________
All time

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Hayden




Location: CDMX
Canada

  • #324
  • Posted: 05/12/2021 17:02
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Daydreamer wrote:
Hayden wrote:
LedZep wrote:

Bright Green Field by Squid

This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.


Not to sound like a parrot, but this is a bizarrely strong year for post-punk. I'm only halfway through the record, but this is excellent. If it keeps up this quality through the second half, I mean... I think five of the best post-punk records this century have been released in the past 4.5 months. It's insane.

Good on these guys though. Great sound throughout. Not thrilled with the cover, looks more like a single or techno EP or something, but I'm assuming it'll grow on me.



And I had no idea there was a new (albeit short) DOOM project coming out. Going to hit play on that soon.


What 5 albums are you reffering to? I guess Squid and Black Country, New Road ones are guaranteed picks, but I'm curious about the rest, since I've found some of the hyped post-punk albums from this year to be a bit underwhelming.



The two mentioned as well as the outputs from Shame, Dry Cleaning and Viagra Boys (haven't heard the new Iceage just yet, but apparently that's pretty decent too). Squid and Black Country, New Road are a fair arm outfront, but regardless. I think I only dug maybe 10 post-punk records from the entirety of the 2010s, so it just feels notable. Might be a resurgence.
_________________
Maple Syrup
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
LedZep



Gender: Male
Croatia (Hrvatska)

  • #325
  • Posted: 05/12/2021 20:05
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
I was thinking BCNR, Squid, Lice, Shame. There's a few others which I didn't enjoy as much as those 4 (Dry Cleaning, Viagra Boys) as well as the new Iceage and Death From Above 1979, both of which I've not heard yet. So pretty much exactly what Hayden said Very Happy
_________________
2010s
2000s
Metal albums not in BEA top 10000
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf



Slovenia

  • #326
  • Posted: 05/13/2021 22:10
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
https://igorbozanic.bandcamp.com/album/runo
Intimate acoustic folk singer-songwriter debut. From Banja Luka, Republika Srpska. Not sure how much you'd be missing by not understanding it. I thought it was incredibly beautiful at times (esp. Jagnje and Mila)
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Hayden




Location: CDMX
Canada

  • #327
  • Posted: 05/14/2021 15:11
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
19loveless91 wrote:
https://igorbozanic.bandcamp.com/album/runo
Intimate acoustic folk singer-songwriter debut. From Banja Luka, Republika Srpska. Not sure how much you'd be missing by not understanding it. I thought it was incredibly beautiful at times (esp. Jagnje and Mila)


Cool. Going in the queue. Looks like a pleasant listen.



Plenty of new stuff out today. Giving the new Sons of Kemet a spin as I type this. So far so good, but I feel they put vocals on the tracks with noticeably weaker instrumentals. The tracks with no guests sound a lot punchier... (edit: maybe the vocals distract a bit too much? not sure). Pick Up Your Burning Cross is solid though. I imagine they'd put on a stellar live show.
_________________
Maple Syrup
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Mercury
The wind's howling


Gender: Male
Location: St. Louis
United States

  • #328
  • Posted: 05/15/2021 00:20
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
2021 post punk album definitive ranks:

BCNR>Dry Cleaning>>Shame>Iceage>Squid>Lice>>Viagra Boys

all are between masterpiece and good

-------------

Oh and I gotta drop a recommendation, since last night I have been listening to this italian musician's album on repeat. That is saying something (for me) because its a 110 minute beast of a post-industrial/Neo-Psychedelic album which is quite eerie, emotional and just...incredible. That sentence turned into something other than what I wanted. Started out by wanting to point out how its nearly 2 hours and then turned into a gush. It deserves it. Highly HIGHLY recommend this album to the moon and back savage garden style.


IRA by IOSONOUNCANE

the music, as it progresses, fits with the quite creepy and disarming front cover quite brilliantly.

---- I had a small queue of albums I wanted to hear last night (this was not one as I had never heard of him or it) including the new J Cole, St. Vincent, and Sons of Kemet. I also was planning on booting up the Mass Effect Trilogy remaster which dropped at the exact same time. But then I started this and I just listened to this and haven't listened to (or played) any of those at all.
_________________
-Ryan

my Top 100 Albums of 2021 so far
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Daydreamer





  • #329
  • Posted: 05/15/2021 08:09
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Hayden wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
Hayden wrote:
LedZep wrote:

Bright Green Field by Squid

This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.


Not to sound like a parrot, but this is a bizarrely strong year for post-punk. I'm only halfway through the record, but this is excellent. If it keeps up this quality through the second half, I mean... I think five of the best post-punk records this century have been released in the past 4.5 months. It's insane.

Good on these guys though. Great sound throughout. Not thrilled with the cover, looks more like a single or techno EP or something, but I'm assuming it'll grow on me.



And I had no idea there was a new (albeit short) DOOM project coming out. Going to hit play on that soon.


What 5 albums are you reffering to? I guess Squid and Black Country, New Road ones are guaranteed picks, but I'm curious about the rest, since I've found some of the hyped post-punk albums from this year to be a bit underwhelming.



The two mentioned as well as the outputs from Shame, Dry Cleaning and Viagra Boys (haven't heard the new Iceage just yet, but apparently that's pretty decent too). Squid and Black Country, New Road are a fair arm outfront, but regardless. I think I only dug maybe 10 post-punk records from the entirety of the 2010s, so it just feels notable. Might be a resurgence.


That's why I asked. I loved BCNR and found it extremely intersting and fascinating. However, both the Shame and Dry Cleaning albums have left me completely underwhelmed and couldn't even come close to BCNR (or to being counted among the best post-punk albums since the 80's)
_________________
All time

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Hayden




Location: CDMX
Canada

  • #330
  • Posted: 05/15/2021 14:20
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Daydreamer wrote:

That's why I asked. I loved BCNR and found it extremely intersting and fascinating. However, both the Shame and Dry Cleaning albums have left me completely underwhelmed and couldn't even come close to BCNR (or to being counted among the best post-punk albums since the 80's)


Just want to clarify I didn't say 'since the 80s'. By 'this century' I meant 2000 onward.

EDIT: Just realized Ledzep said 80s. I got the convos mushed.

Quote:
BCNR>Dry Cleaning>>Shame>Iceage>Squid>Lice>>Viagra Boys


Fair. (Haven't heard the new Iceage yet though).
_________________
Maple Syrup
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 33 of 39


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: 2021 Album Listening Club Gowi Music
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
Sticky: Info On Music You Make Guest Music
Sticky: Beatsense: BEA Community Music Room Guest Lounge
Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art... AfterHours Music Diaries

 
Back to Top