Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 345, 346, 347 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2021 21:51
  • Post subject:

Speaking In Tongues by Talking Heads

Talking Heads are a tight band dialing up the funk on Speaking In Tongues, leading to a very groovy album with almost irrelevant songs that pleasantly bleed into one another, like when a good DJ is spinning for dancers on a summer night. The one exception is the closer, the only truly great song here and the only one that feels fully equipped to stand alone. I'll be going back to that one for sure. I've now heard all of the band's acclaimed records, and my conclusion is that they are very good on studio LPs, including this one, but only great as a live band. Several of the tracks on here definitely sound better on Stop Making Sense. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. This is a cool album:

Entertainment, Death by The Spirit Of The Beehive

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 5 (last pick)

N: How Does That Grab You? - Nancy Sinatra
O: Satanic Panic In The Attic - of Montreal
P: The Comforts Of Madness - Pale Saints
Q: Lullabies To Paralyze - Queens Of The Stone Age
R: Pet Grief - The Radio Dept.
S: So Tough - Saint Etienne
T: There’s No Leaving Now - The Tallest Man On Earth
U: The Flesh Of The World (EP) - Uboa
V: L'apocalypse Des Animaux - Vangelis
W: Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2021 21:54
  • Post subject:

In The Jungle Groove by James Brown

Sorry for the long delay. I either really busy (new film project with a shockingly big budget) or really sad (melancholy about leaving Chicago for Florida tomorrow), so it was hard to find anything special to say about this. I DID like it though <3

Satanic Panic In The Attic by of Montreal

Top 100 Albums of All Time By Kitchensink (8 remaining?)
4. Milford Graves-Percussion Ensemble
5. Blind Lemon Jefferson-Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order, Volume 3
7. Freestyle Fellowship-To Whom It May Concern... (I still haven't heard Innercity Griots Sad )
8. Geto Boys-We Can't Be Stopped
9. Sun Ra- Live From Soundscape
18. Larry Heard-Parrains de la house
19. Prince Far I-Under Heavy Manners
21. José Alfredo Jiménez-Lo Mejor de José Alfredo Jiménez
24. Hard to Earn-Gang Starr
29. The Billie Holliday Collection, Vol. 4
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2021 01:32
  • Post subject:

Panopticon by Isis

This is a pretty album. It’s more post rock than post metal. Or perhaps I’m just focusing on the crescendoing post rock parts because... I don’t particularly like post rock generally. At least not as done here. The genre rarely moves me emotionally. This album is no exception. It was beautiful and nicely composed throughout but way way too “epic” and too, idk, just too shimmery and methodical. I recently have started coming around on Mid 90s Neurosis because, while it has its post rock styles thrown in to a degree, it manages to maintain its sludge grit to some degree as well as introduce an almost overpowering and palpable sense of dread and imminent destruction. Those neurosis albums are very powerful. This Isis album which I’ve heard a few times is still not clicking. Even at its heaviest, it’s too short lived in its power and heaviness it it feels a bit too clean. As I recently mentioned with the 2021 Dvne album I tend to steer a little clear of these types of atmospheric sludge albums and in the direction of just sludge. When atmo sludge mixes with post rock or “post metal” or Prog metal, I tend to get lost in my attempts to really eat up what the album is expressing. It’s rare I’m ever really moved or inspired or truly blown away by this album. But it is gorgeous and well composed and expertly crafted and all that. Not really my style.

-------------------------

@applerill,

Percussion Ensemble by Milford Graves P...nny Morgan

------------------------

RYM metal of any kind since 1996 to now. Excluding neurosis, Death and Morbid Angel as I am doing deep dives on them. Only one album per artist on this list of ten at any time. If you elect Opeth, immolation, or Isis they will instantly be replaced by another album by them (actually I’m putting Isis in time out) - they are very much loved artists it seems. Anyway, here are the top ones I’ve not heard or yet rated on RYM.

1. Still Life by Opeth/1999/RYM #23 metal album of all time (Yes Opeth's Time out has ended --yay! I have grown a little on Blackwater Park and this is same era and just a little earlier in their discog. Note: there are another 2 after this one waiting on the list excluded only due to one album rule lol. the love for this band is wild.)
2. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/RYM #41 metal album of all time (okay, now that a spot has freed up, this brand new listen of this classic DM album is now a possible Nom)
3. Crack the Skye by Mastodon/2009/RYM #43 metal album since '96 (for the love of fucking god don't make me confront this album again! Wink )
4. Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower/2005/RYM #51 metal album of all time (really like to near-love their early stuff, never heard this latter-career peak album)
5. Paracletus by Deathspell Omega/2010/#RYM 102 metal album of all time (Finally, the first album included from 2010 onward. This is a very respected name, this band, and a band I have never pushed play on. Black metal of a modern sort? sign me up!)
6. City by Strapping Young Lad/1997/RYM #111 metal album of all time (This is an album and band that has been on my radar since I was a 12 year old reading about them in a metal mag. Industrial metal. Like Devin Townsend so maybe I'll like this.)
7. Diabolical Conquest by Incantation/1998/RYM #117 metal album of all time (ledzep says they’re great or at least recommended them for my 90s artist listening project and they are much loved death metal and I’m game.)
8. Black Future by Vektor/2009/RYM #119 metal album of all time (have heard it and barely was paying attention when I heard it. Kinda remember thinking it was really cool. This is Some of the most revered thrash ever or at least since 1996 and post the glory days of thrash. So sounds dope and feel a landmark album such as this should be given more attention by me).
9. Bath + Leaving Your Body Map by Maudlin of the Well/2000/RYM #161 + #128 metal albums of all time respectively (Pick either of these 2 albums released on the same day and I will listen to both. Heard Bath once and it was a brilliantly strangeavant garde/meets a lot of other stuff/ - kinda beyond genre - metal album.)
10. You Fail Me by Converge/2004/RYM #130 metal album of all time (Converge is sick and I love Jane Doe so here is the next one I haven’t heard or if I have it was a long time ago and can’t remember. I imagine it’s Mathcore and intense and stuff.)

i find it funny my obsessive need to add comments and factoids to my lists until they look like that ^ lol

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 05/16/2021 09:46
  • Post subject:

Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park

Yeah it's probably about time I checked this album out. I know it's cool to not like Linkin Park, but I've always enjoyed their singles, just not enough to actively choose to listen to them or seek out their albums for more. This was good timing though as I was in a bit of a frustrated mood today for no specific reason, and this was appropriate music for that feeling. Not every song worked for me, I've heard In The End a bit too much to truly enjoy it now, but One Step Closer is still a great song for me and the highlight of the album. It hit the spot today. Of the album tracks A Place For My Head was my favourite track I hadn't heard before. Cure For The Itch felt a bit weird and out of place on this album. I give this a very light 7.5/10, and it comes in at 45/68 in my 2000 yearly chart.

I don't mind Devin Townsend so let's see what City by Strapping Young Lad is like Mercury.

City by Strapping Young Lad

Now on to another player's chart, and with a couple of welcome new (to this game) participants I will be hanging around the year 2000 for a bit longer. This one should be interesting.

Top 30 Music Albums of 2000 by Applerill (5 picks left)

7. L'ivresse De La Vitesse by Paul Dolden
8. When The Smoke Clears: Sixty 6, Sixty 1 by Three 6 Mafia
9. American Beauty: Original Motion Picture Score by Thomas Newman
11. Primordial Lift by Pauline Oliveros
13. Requiem For A Dream by Clint Mansell
15. Perdition City by Ulver
16. The Lioness by Songs: Ohia
21. Origin by Evanescence
22. Singles And Beyond by The Olivia Tremor Control
25. Brave New World by Iron Maiden
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 05/16/2021 19:06
  • Post subject:

The Spirit Of The Beehive - Entertainment, Death
I 'll keep this one as short as possible in order to avoid an excessively negative comment. Well, I don’t mean to sound too harsh, but this made me look up the definition of an album. “An album is a collection of songs”. Yeah, that’s what I thought as well. In that sense, this barely qualifies as an album. It has no songs – if there were any, I failed to spot them, sorry -, just random parts - that someday could become songs if they seriously worked on them - thrown together. It has no end and no beginning, it’s always moving without ever arriving anywhere, not to mention there is no flow, it feels like it restarts every one or two minutes. I read a review that said something along the lines of “well, not everything works, but at least it’s catchy”. I don’t hear it either to be honest, there weren’t many instances that I found particularly ear-pleasing. On the other hand, you can’t deny that it makes for a rather unique listening experience, so it’s one of those cases I believe everyone should give a try. This will possibly give you a headache -that’s what happened with me - but it could just as easily prove to be a wild and fascinating ride if you manage to pick up its vibe.

I nominate

Clint Mansell - Requiem For A Dream

2021 Chart by LedZep
1. Imperative Imperceptible Impulse - Ad Nauseam
2. Paradigmes - La Femme
3. A Common Turn - Anna B Savage
4. For Those I Love (2021) - For Those I Love
5. Death & The Magician - DJ Muggs & Rome Streetz
6. Mirrors - Pupil Slicer
7. As Days Get Dark - Arab Strap
8. Great Spans Of Muddy Time - William Doyle
9. The Thule Grimoires - The Ruins Of Beverast
10. Vulture Prince - Arooj Aftab
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2021 21:10
  • Post subject:

Satanic Panic In The Attic by of Montreal

Six albums into of Montreal's discography, I have yet to hear a dull one. There's usually a lot of quirky stuff going on, from genre blending, to tossed-off experiments, to unusual song structures and dense lyrics. While this keeps things interesting, it can be frustrating, because they so frequently flirt with greatness and so rarely sustain it for a full album (the one exception so far being The Gay Parade). Satanic Panic In The Attic is much the same. There are half a dozen great songs that can reach sublimely beautiful heights. But there are also several that don't work musically or lyrically, and a bunch more that are pleasant but slight. Unsurprisingly, I'm not wild about the necrophilia song or the two others with flippant lyrical mentions of rape. Kevin Barnes is a musical genius, but as they are the sole songwriter, that means there's no one else from the band checking their musical excesses. That said, this is a very good listen when you average it all out. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Haven't heard any of those, but this is the one I'm most likely to in the future:

As Days Get Dark by Arab Strap

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 6 (5 picks left)

Y: Summer Sun - Yo La Tengo
Z: Look What You Did To Me - Z-Ro
&: 공중도덕 (Gongjoong Doduk) - 공중도둑 (Mid-Air Thief)
#: Comin’ Out Hard - 8Ball & MJG
A: One In A Million - Aaliyah
B: Rock For Light - Bad Brains
C: Two Airships / Exploder Falls - Candy Claws*
D: Toeachizown - Dam-Funk
E: Repetitions (Letters To Krzysztof Komeda) - EABS
F: Off-Key In Hamburg - Father John Misty

*Last chance!
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2021 03:37
  • Post subject:

There Is Love In You by Four Tet

This definitely had an energy I dig. Reminded me a bit of Moby to be honest (don't hate me... hehe). Anyway, often albums like this are too ambient or too repetitive, etc., but I think that late 90s trip hop vibe is what sucked me in. If you've ever been to a W hotel, you know this is definitely part of the soundtrack.

2. One In A Million - Aaliyah

3. 3. LedZep top 100 of 2010s (8 picks left)
4. Tunes 2011-2019 by Burial
10. Autumn Bells by Gidge
11. Queen of Time by Amorphis
13. All Bitches Die by Lingua Ignota
20. New Bermuda by Deafheaven
21. Everywhere At The End Of Time by The Caretaker
25. Lost by Trentemøller
35. Vanilija by Svemirko
26. Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis by Matana Roberts
27. Veronica Falls by Veronica Falls
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2021 05:23
  • Post subject:

City by Strapping Young Lad

Jesus, this is a grower. Of recent listens this may be the best example of a grower. When I listened today I thought it was okay, pretty fair, I think I scored it a 3 on RYM. Then I listened again and I found the utterly unique almost showman-like vibe of the lead sinnger and chief member Devin Townsend quite personale and relatable whereas at first I wrote it off as being a bit of a con. Then I listened again, feeling not quite ready to write a comment, and now I am in the groove and actually have songs I'm looking forward to hearing again. By this point I think I rated it a 4 star album. Now I am listening again, and I am liking it even more. I am loving the thrashy elements, I am loving the slightly less self-serious aspect of the singer and the whole flow of the album has a distinctly playful quality as well. I also love the heavy punishing industrial metal parts (which is much of it) and I love the brilliant way the vocals change up from almost over the top operatic, to a sort of snotty hardcore vocal to a badass metal frowl, all changes done seamlessly and working with each part. I love the fact that each song is uniquely its own thing and yet the album flows.

I listened to Biomech which is essentially a Devin Townsend solo album released a year after this, and I actually kinda loved that album. And I had a similar experience with that Townsend project as this - the upward slope of opinion as I got more and more familiar with what was happening. This album is more industrial and heavier and has less of the stuff I loved on Biomech - I suppose the overwhelmingly and almost sneakily inspiring and emotional pay offs of the songs on Biomech is what I recall adoring the most and that isn't really what I hear here.

Anyway, I'm rambling, But some stuff I noticed and want to point out is how similar to Tocicity-era System of a Down "Oh My Fucking God" sounds. I don't know that SYL was an influence on SOAD, but this one song is proto-soad if ever I heard something like that.

The run of songs from track 2 "All hail The New Flesh" to track 6 "AAA" a A-tier, mad brilliance. And really the short intro track and the albums that follow "AAA" ain't bad either. Honestly right now I'm hearing the track right after "AAA" and its really just as good - completely mental and unhinged and breakneck-brilliant as well.

"Room 429" is honestly not quite like anything I've ever heard. brilliant.

The album is 9 tracks, and 39 minutes and it always seems to fly by, its a really well sequenced and cool as hell metal album. Highly recommended if you like cool (if eccentric) vocals and some incredible riffs and some really cool song structures and a lot of energy. Its dope as hell.

-------------------------

@RoundTheBend, Burial is brilliant and brave, so better be:

Tunes 2011-2019 by Burial

------------------------

RYM metal of any kind since 1995 (expanded by 1 year and now voila! we have dissection, Blind Guardian and Suffocation!) top albums not heard or vague on. 1 album per artist and here we go. (no Death or Morbid Angel or Neurosis due to another thing i'm doing on my diary.)

1. Still Life by Opeth/1999/RYM #23 metal album of all time (Yes Opeth's Time out has ended --yay! I have grown a little on Blackwater Park and this is same era and just a little earlier in their discog. Note: there are another 2 after this one waiting on the list excluded only due to one album rule lol. the love for this band is wild.)
2. Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection/1995/RYM #31 metal album of all time (classic melodic black metal album I can't remember hearing.)
3. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/RYM #41 metal album of all time (okay, now that a spot has freed up, this brand new listen of this classic DM album is now a possible Nom)
4. Crack the Skye by Mastodon/2009/RYM #43 metal album since '96 (love their previous 2 albums before this one but always borderline hated this one. need to listen again before finally closing this book.)
5. Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower/2005/RYM #51 metal album of all time (really like to near-love their early stuff, never heard this latter-career peak album)
6. Oceanic by Isis/2002/RYM #79 metal album of all time (another atmospheric slude and post metal album by Isis. Didn't love or even particularly like Panopticon. Maybe I'll like this more.)
7. Imaginations From the Other Side by Blind Guardian/1995/RYM #80 metal album of all time (first power metal choice woohoo. i guess. I mean something about power metal just seems so corny, but maybe I will hear it differently after listening to this classic.)
8. Pierced From Within by Suffocation/1995/RYM #94 metal album of all time (another BRUTAL death metal album woohoo for real! I liked that None So Vile listen so maybe I'll dig this too.)
9. Paracletus by Deathspell Omega/2010/RYM #102 metal album of all time (this is the newest album we've come across in this game yet. New-ish Black metal that is quite liked.)
10. Diabolical Conquest by Incantation/1998/RYM #117 metal album of all time (some cool death metal/with a sub-genre of Death Doom metal. Interesting indeed. Oh and apparently LedZep loves these chaps' music. Wouldn't mind one bit this being chosen.)

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 05/17/2021 20:02
  • Post subject:

Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark
Album of the year, nuff said.

I hate to be that guy who can't take no for an answer, but Isis are amazing, for metal standards at least and I'm clueless about everything else on this list. I nominate

Isis - Oceanic

2021 Chart by LedZep
1. Imperative Imperceptible Impulse - Ad Nauseam
2. Paradigmes - La Femme
3. A Common Turn - Anna B Savage
4. For Those I Love (2021) - For Those I Love
5. Death & The Magician - DJ Muggs & Rome Streetz
6. Mirrors - Pupil Slicer
7. Great Spans Of Muddy Time - William Doyle
8. The Thule Grimoires - The Ruins Of Beverast
9. Vulture Prince - Arooj Aftab
10. Psychic Secretions - StarGazer
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2021 20:49
  • Post subject:
(1)

Soundtrack From Twin Peaks by Angelo Badalamenti
Interestingly I started watching the show recently and it's great. Soundtrack is awesome, actors are all great, plot is wacky as hell but in a good way. Looking forward to continuing the series but not so much looking forward to the decline in quality that I know the second season will bring.

The soundtrack is great, dark atmospheric jazz that I would've never thought fit the US northwest centered around Snoqualmie Falls, but hey, it works really well. Really REALLY well. The title theme is good but I think the love theme and Laura's theme are the best here.

(2)
kokkinos, please listen to Paradigmes. Easily my AOTY so far.

(3)
RYM top albums of all time (minus archival releases)
- Swans Are Dead by Swans (live)
- Live After Death by Iron Maiden (live)
- Live Rust by Neil Young & Crazy Horse (live)
- Unleashed in the East: Live in Japan by Judas Priest (live)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- It's Alive by Ramones (live)
- The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live at Madison Square Garden by LCD Soundsystem (live)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)