Rocka's Hot 00s Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2021 23:22
  • Post subject:
Nice! Loving this format. I've never listened to that album. will have to fix that soon!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2021 06:08
  • Post subject:
Dig it.

Although I might suggest as a new header to rate by:
Does it have enough cowbell?

In all seriousness I really dig the rating system, except idk if I could weight the album packaging as much, but that's just me. I also struggle with originality for some reason. Someone can be original but shit.

I wonder if I'd do:
Composition - Max of 25
Performance - Max of 25
Album Pacing/Organization - Max of 20
Lyrics/Themes (more to force me to pay attention to them) - Max of 10
Production - Max of 10 (I assume you mean mixing/mastering here as opposed to producing)
Intrigue/Appeal (creativity/originality said differently for me to have a more meaningful result) - Max of 9
Packaging - Max of 1 (hehe)

In the end I like what you did though, just giving my take for a spin on the same concept on perhaps what probably means more to me.

Also I'm very grateful my wife got me into that JT album. It's a very solid pop record.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2021 15:55
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Composition - Max of 25
Performance - Max of 25

That is actually how I had it earlier. I probably should have it that way, but hey, packaging is something they give out grammys for! Yeah, in rating that album I kind of realized that's weighted too much.

Here's my solution. Packaging is gone as a normalized category, but it will be a bonus (or extra credit if you will). If it's bad I can detract a maximum of 5 points, and if it's good I can add a maximum of 5 points.

My original post and review of that previous album have been amended to reflect that.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2021 03:33
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
Composition - Max of 25
Performance - Max of 25

That is actually how I had it earlier. I probably should have it that way, but hey, packaging is something they give out grammys for! Yeah, in rating that album I kind of realized that's weighted too much.

Here's my solution. Packaging is gone as a normalized category, but it will be a bonus (or extra credit if you will). If it's bad I can detract a maximum of 5 points, and if it's good I can add a maximum of 5 points.

My original post and review of that previous album have been amended to reflect that.

and some packaging does create nostalgia/is key to the album etc.

It's just so rare I care is my problem... hehe... totally legit sometimes Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2021 03:57
  • Post subject:
I was going to make a post about 10 artists from Kansas, but I can't add any albums right now. Crying or Very sad

I guess I will anyways. Mr. Green

Listening to Moondog yesterday made me want to research some other artists that were from Kansas, so I went on a somewhat deep dive for a few others. Most of these I already knew, but I always forget. Also, most of these people are strange. Something in this area breed eccentricity to a high degree.

1. Moondog- He was born in Marysville, which is off of Highway 36 in the North part of the state. He left for Wyoming, but eventually came back to Southwestern MO as a teenager. He then spent some time in Batesville, AR which is where some of my family lived for a time. Neat!

2. Dreamcrusher- Dreamcrusher is a great Noise/Power Electronics musician that's from Wichita.

3. Eugene McDaniels- Idiosyncratic Funk/Soul musician who was born in Kansas City, Kansas, but spent most of his time in Omaha, NE.

4. Gary S. Paxton- From Coffeyville, KS in the Southeastern part of the state. He wrote the early 60s hits "Alley Oop" and "Monster Mash". Yes, you heard that right. This guy wrote the friggin' monster mash.

5. Ultrademon aka Lilium Kobayashi- I don't know exactly where they're from, but this is the person that popularized the (genre? art? aesthetic?) of Seapunk in the early 10s. It just says Kansas on wikipedia, but I saw an article that said KCMO.

6. Eden Ahbez- Yep the list just keeps getting more strange. Ahbez was actually born in New York and put into the Brooklyn Hebrew Orphan Asylum, but found his way to a family in Chanute, Kansas, which is where my Mom grew up. He lived in Kansas City for awhile, but he eventually made his way to Los Angelese where he wrote a number one hit for Nat King Cole, "Nature Boy", and then in the early 60s pretty much helped establish the hippie movement and released one of the first psychedelic albums.

Link

7. Marva Whitney- Really great soul and funk singer from KCK. Check her first album out.

8. Charlie Parker- A lot of people know this one, but I figured I'd put it in here anyway, because he's the best. Originally from KCK, but moved to KCMO. Coleman Hawkins or Ben Webster would've filled the Jazz slot too, while Lester Young and Count Basie eventually settled here from elsewhere.

9. Stan Kenton- Hey there are Jazz artists from Wichita, too!?! Turns out Stan Kenton started there He left pretty young, but I'll still claim him anyway.

10. Grimes Poznikov- Neodesha, KS. I could remember reading something about this fella before. He was known as the "Automatic Human Jukebox" and he would play music from a cardboard box with his trumpet on the streets of San Francisco. So, between him and Moondog, we have street performing locked down.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2021 17:00
  • Post subject:
What's up? Hope you're having a good Sunday.

I know this is the "album" website, but I know that we enjoy songs too.

550 Good Songs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/...sp=sharing

Here's a playlist of the songs on that sheet.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3GaJw...374d984bd3

I don't know what I wanted out of this, but I did it.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2021 18:06
  • Post subject:
It's YOU! Good to see ya.

I'll check ut the thing later. sounds cool.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2021 20:54
  • Post subject:
Hey, brother! Nice to see ya!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2021 05:42
  • Post subject:
May you continue to rock.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/29/2021 07:21
  • Post subject:
The only thing I would wonder with separately rating those categories, is that they overlap so much that it seems like it would be hard to separate them into their own scores entirely.

For instance, when you're rating originality how could you not consider its composition and all the other categories too as part of considering what's original (or not) about it?

(sorry ... if ... I ... just ... made ... your ... life ... harder)

Applause So yeah ... "Thanks AfterHours" for stopping by Applause
  • Visit poster's website