Tonally Lonely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118
View previous topic :: View next topic
kokkinos

• Posted: 06/06/2021 20:51
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
I love that you love Genesis Owusu though! That makes me so happy! Finding out he was Aussie the other day was such cool moment for me. And rightfully so, the whole thing’s so explosive and yet so smooth, not to mention synth choices are bloody disgustingly good. There’s so much I could say about it but what do you think?

For me, the most striking aspect of this record is clearly its diversity. I'd say that's its strong suit and its Achilles heel at the same time. Not sure if that makes any sense, I'll try to elaborate. On the one hand, his acrobatics moving so effortlessly across different styles are extremely spectacular. On the other hand, not everything works and there are some instances where he's given more than he can handle, but that's always a danger when going all out in such an ambitious manner. Also, we have to keep in mind it's only his debut, so taking that into account we're talking about a highly promising artist, one to keep on our radars for the future. Another good thing about being all over the map is that almost anyone can find something appealing here, it's one of those albums I would recommend to pretty much everyone no matter their preferences music-wise.

Komorebi-D wrote:
And what’s you favourite album of the year so far?

One quick disclaimer: 2021 is still young and most of them need further listenings to solidify their status, I suspect some of them won't hold up, as I mentioned earlier I'm not particularly thrilled with 2021 so far, not to mention there's a decent amount of albums I haven't checked out at all yet. With that in mind, a somewhat premature top-10 would probably look something like this - roughly in order, subject to change at any moment:

1. Jon Batiste - We Are (Soul)
2. Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark (Indietronica)
3. Armand Hammer & The Alchemist - Haram (Abstract Hip Hop)
4. McKinley Dixon - For My Mama And Anyone Who Look Like Her (Jazz Rap)
5. Ghetts - Conflict Of Interest (Grime)
6. Slowthai - Tyron (UK Hip Hop)
7. Central Cee - Wild West (UK Drill)
8. Beachy Head - Beachy Head (Dream Pop, Shoegaze)
9. The Notwist - Vertigo Days (Indietronica, Neo-Psychedelia, Indie Rock)
10. Radio Supernova - Takaisin (Dream Pop, Shoegaze)

Komorebi-D wrote:
Out of three you said you were the most excited for, I’d say Pray For Haiti is your best bet. Just basing this off what you’ve said enjoyed the past, I think you’re going to enjoy it.

Yeah, I keep hearing good things about it, I look forward to giving it a try.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 06/08/2021 11:50
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
For me, the most striking aspect of this record is clearly its diversity. I'd say that's its strong suit and its Achilles heel at the same time. Not sure if that makes any sense, I'll try to elaborate. On the one hand, his acrobatics moving so effortlessly across different styles are extremely spectacular. On the other hand, not everything works and there are some instances where he's given more than he can handle, but that's always a danger when going all out in such an ambitious manner. Also, we have to keep in mind it's only his debut, so taking that into account we're talking about a highly promising artist, one to keep on our radars for the future. Another good thing about being all over the map is that almost anyone can find something appealing here, it's one of those albums I would recommend to pretty much everyone no matter their preferences music-wise.

I hope I’m not coming off lazy by just leaving it at this but I totally agree. I think the album could’ve done with some consolidation too. But at the very same time, I really appreciate when people break the mould and are given the chance to go any direction they want to these days. It’s something I’m noticing more and more now, especially after a number of years where I felt most albums played it safe. Maybe that’s just me though. I’d say it’s probably the case. But there is something to be said when a cut like “Waitin’ On Ya” decides smooth things out and could be likened to so many other artists, and yet Genesis’ artistic voice would be hard to lose in a crowd. It’s one of my favourites too, “Save on sunglasses, by staying in the shade”.

kokkinos wrote:
One quick disclaimer: 2021 is still young and most of them need further listenings to solidify their status, I suspect some of them won't hold up, as I mentioned earlier I'm not particularly thrilled with 2021 so far, not to mention there's a decent amount of albums I haven't checked out at all yet. With that in mind, a somewhat premature top-10 would probably look something like this - roughly in order, subject to change at any moment:

1. Jon Batiste - We Are (Soul)
2. Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark (Indietronica)
3. Armand Hammer & The Alchemist - Haram (Abstract Hip Hop)
4. McKinley Dixon - For My Mama And Anyone Who Look Like Her (Jazz Rap)
5. Ghetts - Conflict Of Interest (Grime)
6. Slowthai - Tyron (UK Hip Hop)
7. Central Cee - Wild West (UK Drill)
8. Beachy Head - Beachy Head (Dream Pop, Shoegaze)
9. The Notwist - Vertigo Days (Indietronica, Neo-Psychedelia, Indie Rock)
10. Radio Supernova - Takaisin (Dream Pop, Shoegaze)

Goddamn! Now I’m at loss. I’ve only heard three of those (Armand Hammer, Slowthai & now Batiste’s). Definitely gonna have to make my trek through that. What a solid list. Ghetts is the outlier for me, however. I’ve heard so much about it and from several sources, though it’s my mate who’s mostly been the one in my ear about it. Guess I’m really going to have to give a try since it’s in your top 5. Thanks man!

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 06/11/2021 01:25
  • Post subject:
The Flaming Lips list is on the way and will hopefully be out by Sunday. But before then, I want to draw some attention and have little talk about this:

Butterfly 3000 by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

For a band that’s gone from krautrock to jazz-infused jams to trash metal and spent two - and might I add, great - albums redefining their psych rock roots with hazy pop fixtures & Anatolian rock passages, King Gizzard has yet again done the unexpected. On Butterfly 3000 the band promised something melodic & psychedelic, and while they definitely deliver that, it’s here they give us their deepest dive into Electronica. Tracks like “Yours” & “Shanghai” could stand among their most accessible and their lightest touches, while those like “Catching Smoke” just venture wherever they please. It’s really something for the eyes and the ears. I’d say it’s my favourite album of theirs since at least Infest The Rat, which is big since I love their two self-entitleds too. And it’s just as committed to the idea that binds it. But what are you guys feeling on it? Does it hit with you or miss?

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website