The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 154, 155, 156  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/10/2021 16:49
  • Post subject:
Well well that’s very original. I just score them and order them by score. And if I’m lucky my lists look a bit diverse.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2021 00:16
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

I’m not a huge 80s guy. I’ll say if you haven’t heard these, I mean I like em and maybe you will too.

1980 albums of great note to me:
Roses in the Snow - Emmylou Harris
Somewhat Happy Woman Blues by a young Lucinda Williams and... lol.

@Mercury: have you ever listened to Lucinda's debut that came out just a year b4 Happy Woman Blues...

Ramblin' On My Mind by Lucinda Williams

It's just her doing Country Blues!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2021 21:29
  • Post subject:
'80:13 Finders Keepers

Happy Woman Blues by Lucinda Williams

I think I lost it
Let me know if you come across it
Let me know if I let it fall
Along a back road somewhere
(I Lost It)

The Setting: Daughter of a professor, poet and Delta Blues fanatic, Lucinda had the advantage of an atypical musical and literary education. As her family bounced from college town to town throughout the South and even as far asunder as Mexico City, Lucinda soaked up the rich musical traditions of each place. So it’s no wonder that her albums offer up a potent amalgamation of Country, Blues and Folk. She took her father’s rather scholarly approach to her first album – Ramblin'. An earnest and rootsy debut of country blues covers. Emboldened by that successful exercise, Lucinda took to pen & paper to craft her own batch of down home country folk tunes on Happy Woman Blues. “Promising!” critics declared. BUT, the critic would always add, certainly no match for her later works. The critical consensus to date could best be summed up with: An interesting “youthful” exercise before “finding her voice” on her 90s classics. So why am I bothering with this album you may ask?

The Listen: Critics are idiots. Cowardly followers more than ready to stick to the party line. Time and time again I find on my deep dives that the critical consensus is pure bollocks. Sure, Lucinda’s songs would become more glossed out & more fleshed out on coming albums, but personally I love the stripped down, heart-barred vibe she dons here like a well worn pair of blue jeans. It has wormed its way into my love torn heart over the last two months. “I Lost It” and “Howlin at Midnight” in particular has resonated with me as I Iinger on the back roads of my love for my girl. Both songs completely capturing how it feels when you lose that special someone. Her songwriting here is as good as it will ever be, my friends. Lucinda wasn’t finding her voice on Happy Woman Blues. She’d already found it.

The Verdict: Happy Woman Blues is secretly one of Lucinda’s best albums. If you like stripped down folk, blues, and country, go comb these back roads and scoop up what those dumbass critics let fall. “You’re not going to find another one to compare.“

The Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

==========================================================================================

1980 Essentials (Thus Far) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
1. Joy Division - Closer (post-Punk, Goth)
2. Talking Heads - Remain In Light (Art Punk, Post-Punk)
3. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds (Post-Punk, Goth)
4. Circle Jerks - Group Sex (Hardcore, Punk)
5. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (Metal, NWOBHM)
6. The Heats - Have An Idea (Power Pop)
7. Lucinda Williams - Happy Woman Blues (Country, Folk)
8. Diana Ross - Diana (Pop, R&B)
9. Angel Witch - Angel Witch (NWOBHM, Metal)
10. Merle Haggard - Back To The Barrooms (Country)
11. Angry Samoans - Inside My Brain (Hardcore, Punk)

HMs
1. Judas Priest - British Steel (NWOBHM, Metal)
2. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables (Hardcore, Punk)
3. Paul McCartney - II (Art Pop)
4. Kurtis Blow - Kurtis Blow (Hip Hop)

Last edited by Repo on 06/15/2021 16:51; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2021 22:53
  • Post subject:
Smile awesome review!!!

And sorry never answered your earlier query. I have heard her 1979 debut. A couple times remember liking it a lot. I have (like many) been focusing perhaps unfairly on her 1980-onward and even more distinctly, 1988-onward material.

But yeah I think you’ve inspired me to listen to her 1980 and 1979 albums again after awhile away.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2021 22:45
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Smile awesome review!!!

And sorry never answered your earlier query. I have heard her 1979 debut. A couple times remember liking it a lot. I have (like many) been focusing perhaps unfairly on her 1980-onward and even more distinctly, 1988-onward material.

But yeah I think you’ve inspired me to listen to her 1980 and 1979 albums again after awhile away.

Awesome! Let me know what you think!

Meanwhile I'm listening to this killer little EP...

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/16/2021 00:21
  • Post subject:
'80:14 When the Boom Mic Is Visible

Crocodiles by Echo & The Bunnymen

The Setting: Liverpool was rising again. At least that’s what Britain’s Gonzo musical press would have you believe. Keep in mind that Britain’s musical press were always a bit more TMZ than Village Voice. They dubbed it “The New Merseybeat” and willed a scene onto two upcoming bands that were friends & rivals in equal measure – Echo & The Bunnymen and The Teardrop Explodes. Echo were bigger so let’s talk about them first.

The Listen: A freaking GREAT FM radio album. Any of these songs would be a worthy addition to any 80s College Rock radio playlist. It's catchy, enjoyable and sugary sweet. BUT, it’s not going to suck you down the speaker hole like Joy Division, The Cure and the Talking Heads. It lacks the danger, creativity, brilliance, and world building of those three. It’s clearly a notch below in the post-punk genre. They are not capable of pulling off the grand illusion. That this is more than just a rock band. That their very lives depend on making this album. Playing these songs. No. It’s obvious they are putting on a show. The wires are visible. The boom mic hangs clearly overhead for all to see.

The Verdict: A solid Four Star album and a worthy addition to any Post-Punk collection. BUT, I am NOT left the least bit dumbfounded, mouth agape with drool oozing down my chin when the curtain falls. That’s what happens, boys & girls, when you can see the bleedin’ boom mic the entire time.

The Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (Highly Recommended!)

==========================================================================================

1980 Essentials (Thus Far) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
1. Joy Division - Closer (post-Punk, Goth)
2. Talking Heads - Remain In Light (Art Punk, Post-Punk)
3. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds (Post-Punk, Goth)
4. Circle Jerks - Group Sex (Hardcore, Punk)
5. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (Metal, NWOBHM)
6. The Heats - Have An Idea (Power Pop)
7. Lucinda Williams - Happy Woman Blues (Country, Folk)
8. Diana Ross - Diana (Pop, R&B)
9. Angel Witch - Angel Witch (NWOBHM, Metal)
10. Merle Haggard - Back To The Barrooms (Country)
11. Angry Samoans - Inside My Brain (Hardcore, Punk)

HMs
1. Judas Priest - British Steel (NWOBHM, Metal)
2. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables (Hardcore, Punk)
3. Paul McCartney - II (Art Pop)
4. Echo & The Bunnymen - Crocodiles (College Rock, Post-Punk)
5. Kurtis Blow - Kurtis Blow (Hip Hop)
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/16/2021 11:58
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

The Verdict: A solid Four Star album and a worthy addition to any Post-Punk collection. BUT, I am NOT left the least bit dumbfounded, mouth agape with drool oozing down my chin when the curtain falls. That’s what happens, boys & girls, when you can see the bleedin’ boom mic the entire time.

I'm interested in what you think of Porcupine and Ocean Rain. I agree that at this point Echo & the Bunnymen were a step below Joy Division, The Cure, and Talking Heads. But on those 2 albums, I'd say that they reach that next level.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/16/2021 17:13
  • Post subject:
To me the band has remained fairly consistent throughout all their albums including the first but also the more recent ones. By consistent I mean consisten at a very high level: to me also this album is a true classic.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/16/2021 18:42
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
To me the band has remained fairly consistent throughout all their albums including the first but also the more recent ones. By consistent I mean consisten at a very high level: to me also this album is a true classic.

I listened to their 1990 album Reverberation last night and was pretty impressed!

By true classic do you mean 5 star? I think Crocodiles is Great but flawed and therefore NOT a five star album. It's not quite at that level.

Last edited by Repo on 06/16/2021 18:54; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/16/2021 18:50
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Repo wrote:

I'm interested in what you think of Porcupine and Ocean Rain. I agree that at this point Echo & the Bunnymen were a step below Joy Division, The Cure, and Talking Heads. But on those 2 albums, I'd say that they reach that next level.

In terms of both atmosphere and songwriting I think that Echo made quite a leap even before those two with Heaven Up Here. But you & Dihansse have made me really think about their 80s discography though and which of their albums I consider essential. There's got to be at least one, right? I mean they are one of the quintessential 80s college rock bands. No argument from me on that front.

So I'm going to do a Echo & The Bunnymen Rank 'Em over the next week. Which ever album wins will be guaranteed a spot in my 80s chart. I'd love it if you guys ( & anyone else!) joined me!!! Very Happy

In short, what's the best Echo album? Do they have more than one essential album and if so, which ones. And was I just super high or is Reverberation actually pretty good?
  • Visit poster's website