Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 05/27/2021 21:13
  • Post subject:
I noticed you ranked Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him so highly. Why do you think so highly of it? I never heard it, but it seems intriguing.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/27/2021 21:44
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
I noticed you ranked Let the Evil of His Own Lips Cover Him so highly. Why do you think so highly of it? I never heard it, but it seems intriguing.

Summons the gothic, haunted, terrible female tragedies on a similar order of expressive intensity and depth as the greatest ever (such as Nico, Lisa Germano), and even reaches the level of the most astounding drama/performance art akin to Diamanda Galas and of Patti Smith for That He May Not Rise Again, which is very possibly the song of the decade.

Link

• Visit poster's website
homelessking

• Posted: 05/28/2021 14:58
  • Post subject:
Insights on Beefheart's vocals in general? :^)
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/04/2021 20:28
  • Post subject:
homelessking wrote:
Insights on Beefheart's vocals in general? :^)

Some misc points...

*Shape-shifting, metamorphosis, "cubistic" (as if coming at you from sudden, different angles, shapes, sizes that one suddenly has to adjust one's point of view to)
*It is the characterization of a grotesque blues that is going through a terrible or comic upending of one's state, of psychic and physical distortions, dis-orientations.
*Further from that, it is the characterization of physical deformity, facial deformity, personality deformity, constantly contorting and upending itself in pain, in comic absurdity, in flabbergasted embarrassment, in personal anarchy attempting to escape its demons and its own skin
*It completely upended and dramatically increased the sheer temporal "space" that a vocalist could express himself/herself out into the musical environment and beyond (his vocals, along with the musical accompaniment, especially TMR, can be likened to "fission" in which the elements are splitting and exploding outwards from the source, into new emotional/expressive territory, the space becoming extremely dilated outwards in concentric spatial parameters surrounding outwards from the starting point)
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 06/07/2021 21:13
  • Post subject:
Since it seems like you've listened to Purple Rain and Sign O' the Times recently, what's something about Purple Rain that makes it better?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/07/2021 23:00
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
Since it seems like you've listened to Purple Rain and Sign O' the Times recently, what's something about Purple Rain that makes it better?

It might not be. I've gone back and forth on which is his best album, more times than I can remember, going back over 20 years.

Sign O' The Times may be more original, and has more scope, is more socially-conscious, perhaps more successful in a greater number of ways.

Purple Rain is sensory overload, jam-packed, probably his best album in terms of consistency. A musical (and literal) orgy from start to finish. Basically takes the blueprint of Hendrix (such as Foxy Lady), fuses it to a vibrant R & B, Pop, Funk, and hits overdrive on the lust, theatre and artifice with a melodic and erotic abandon/ecstacy. Prince is practically having sex with the instrumentation and with the erotic and lewd vocals and interplay; like Hendrix (pretty much) invented with his guitar (at least in a truly electric and modern sense), but a bit more wildly colorful and perhaps artificial/theatrical, whereas Hendrix's characterization isn't androgynous, is more sincere, 'real' (less an act), and more palpably psychedelic. Hendrix also can draw a bit more tension as his guitar play tends to also be a dance with not just sex, but with death, with living on the edge of reality vs surreality (without artifice), the blues on either end of the spectrum a very real and palpable expression and illustration from him. Prince isn't particularly notable for his ability to create tension as he is when he goes at the music with such wild, almost circus-like abandon and spectacle. Purple Rain is probably the peak of this for his art. Sign O' The Times gets a bit more serious on various songs, as if life has finally hit him and he is looking around at the world a bit, as opposed to being lost in his artificial world; lost in ecstasy and wish fulfillment so to speak.
  • Visit poster's website
homelessking

• Posted: 06/15/2021 09:40
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
his vocals, along with the musical accompaniment, especially TMR, can be likened to "fission" in which the elements are splitting and exploding outwards from the source, into new emotional/expressive territory, the space becoming extremely dilated outwards in concentric spatial parameters surrounding outwards from the starting point

I wonder if you got this fission idea from lukeprog :^)
Also, insights on Magma's MDK?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/15/2021 10:11
  • Post subject:
homelessking wrote:
I wonder if you got this fission idea from lukeprog :^)
Also, insights on Magma's MDK?

Re: lukeprog / fission ... I'm not sure, but that's probably right -- I do know I didn't originate it. But the idea it represents has been there for quite a bit longer -- it's just a very succinct way to describe it. Back in those days Luke and I discussed TMR at least a few times I think, and he may have been the first to use it (unless it was Scaruffi or another listology user...).

Re: MDK ... basically, a desperate, anxious, crazed rock opera rendition of Orff's Carmina Burana Smile
  • Visit poster's website
homelessking

• Posted: 06/15/2021 10:46
  • Post subject:
Ah that's right my bad, "idea" was the wrong word.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 06/26/2021 09:42
  • Post subject:
What's your opinion on Burnt Weeny Sandwich? It's my personal favorite Zappa/MoI album, absolutely. Scaruffi gave it an 8.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website