View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2021 22:42
  • Post subject: ALC #16: A Sudden Nowhere

A Sudden Nowhere by Phill Reynolds
Available on Bandcamp and Spotify at least, probably other streaming platforms

Sounds Like:Indie folk; Americana, but sung in Italy with very strong Venetian influence
Origin: Italy

Ok so I was considering a few different albums for this week, but luckily since I'll be doing another week I get to bother you all another time.

Phill Reynolds is an Italian folk singer who either has US American roots or draws heavily from Americana and country music. Album came out way back in January but it's something I've seen myself coming back to multiple times over the past 5 months. It's an interesting darkly atmospheric folk album. It clearly draws from northern Italian folk. While Reynolds lives in northwestern Italy, you can see Ligurian and Lombard influences if you've listened to any music from those regions (there's a solid s/t metal album by Dohlmen out this year which uses the Sardinian language and has lots of Sardinian influences. Sardinian and Ligurian music and language are VERY similar). There's a hulking heaviness that threads itself throughout the album, akin to drone and doom metal. But at the same time there's an interesting lightness that spreads in many songs, seen in optimistic vocals and quick guitar fills or solos.

Take a listen, let me know what you think. If you like it, I have other albums I can recommend! If you don't like it, well, sorry for wasting your time lol
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2021 01:50
  • Post subject:
In the queue.

Another choice that I haven't seen anywhere else.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2021 18:53
  • Post subject:
Oh wow the cover does not reflect the music in the slightest Laughing Why... why is that the cover? Especially when you can buy this postcard alongside the album—

Solid stuff though. Exactly what it wants to be. Busker-esque. Nice voice too. Sax solos are very welcome.

Quote:
darkly atmospheric folk album

I don't think it's that dark at all to be honest. The cover is the darkest thing about it. Two or three tracks aside, a lot of the songs are actually pretty fun.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/17/2021 20:54
  • Post subject:
I'm a bit behind on ALC-s but from the snippets I'm listening to right now this should be top tier stuff. Great choice, I've also not seen it anywhere.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/21/2021 16:03
  • Post subject:
Lovin' this one. It is quite beautiful and peaceful but also dark, have to agree with EyeKanFly here. Reminds me of a lot of gothic/alt country that my dad loves. And so do I, there's something poetic, "standing by the fire and listening to music in the forest in the middle of nowhere" type happy melancholy in the genre. The stories are great too, the mood is spot on, it's in the top 50 of the year easily.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Keatownrodriguez
Aimless Angler

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2021 20:15
  • Post subject:
I seriously enjoyed this album. I especially loved moments with the solo guitar like on To Agota. A nice mixture of bittersweet and dark moods.
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 07/26/2021 22:47
  • Post subject:
this was an interesting listen for me because while I did enjoy it for the most part my main thought for the bulk of its duration was how much more I would've really loved this had it been released during the height of my "indie phase". Feels weirdly nostalgic for me as such. So idk if there's a psychological reason for this but my favorite tracks were the ones that sounded the least like what I'd be listening to during my peak indie years haha. Time is Now was a highlight in that sense, definitely gonna echo Hayden re: the sax, and I like when he does some of the weirder more expressive stuff with his voice rather than the more standard "indie folk voice". Felt similarly about the guitar work tbh, the more atmospheric and/or pulsating strings did more for me than most of the folky plucking. Neat stuff overall albeit nothing I really see myself revisiting anytime soon (now if I were still in middle school however that would be a much different story, if only I could send this thing back in time a young KitchenSink would be very appreciative haha). OH also, respectable Leonard Cohen cover. IMO pulling of a genuinely worthwhile LC cover is no easy task
an-outlaw

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/31/2021 19:58
  • Post subject:
I'm sure there was a Swedish singer who had a sound like this several years back. Think Something very familiar about it. Great sound still
  • Visit poster's website