Third-Place Match: Fiona Apple v. The Innocence Mission

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Please listen to both albums in full before voting, then choose your favorite.
Fetch The Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple
70%
 70%  [12]
See You Tomorrow by The Innocence Mission
29%
 29%  [5]
Total Votes : 17

Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2021 06:35
  • Post subject:
It’s kind of off topic, but I want to say that from what I saw of the coverage regarding The Idler Wheel… that was indeed her most hyped and talked about album well before Fetch the Bolt Cutters dropped. I heard about it everywhere and saw it on many many many end of decade lists before Fetch was a thing. (Sorry)

I’d say overall the hype and excitement for them at times of release were similar very similar. Main thing that for some reason lots and lots of people still get excited about is a certain pretty shitty (imo) yet very popular publication have Fetch a rare perfect 10 at release. I think they are similarly solid albums. Neither is a favorite and neither is as great as When The Pawn… but both are impressive entries in her impressive career.

Maybe it just depends on the circles you run in and are exposed to as to whether you perceived the hype of Idler Wheel being equal (or perhaps even greater) than Fetch the Bolt Cutters. No idea. They BOTH are absurdly famous albums and neither is lacking at all in press and ink (well deserved).

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/23/2021 08:02
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
It’s kind of off topic, but I want to say that from what I saw of the coverage regarding The Idler Wheel… that was indeed her most hyped and talked about album well before Fetch the Bolt Cutters dropped. I heard about it everywhere and saw it on many many many end of decade lists before Fetch was a thing. (Sorry)

I’d say overall the hype and excitement for them at times of release were similar very similar. Main thing that for some reason lots and lots of people still get excited about is a certain pretty shitty (imo) yet very popular publication have Fetch a rare perfect 10 at release. I think they are similarly solid albums. Neither is a favorite and neither is as great as When The Pawn… but both are impressive entries in her impressive career.

Maybe it just depends on the circles you run in and are exposed to as to whether you perceived the hype of Idler Wheel being equal (or perhaps even greater) than Fetch the Bolt Cutters. No idea. They BOTH are absurdly famous albums and neither is lacking at all in press and ink (well deserved).
That, and it did generate a lot more ratings on the main internet-core sites like RYM, Albumoftheyear etc. Going by those sites, it seems that it got more hype than the predecessor, but I wasn't actively listening to music when The Idler Wheel dropped so cannot confirm that.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2021 20:34
  • Post subject:
The talk about Idler Wheel vs. Fetch is interesting because my impression is largely the opposite.

When Idler Wheel released, I was pretty closely following Pitchfork, for better or worse (side note: I actually think over the years Pitchfork has had some incredibly talented writers, I think my biggest qualm with them is more with the readers/music industry at large for giving them so much clout so as to be able to make or break an artist's career with a single review). I think in spring 2012 the hype for Idler Wheel was huge, and when it finally released I didn't really like it, so was totally let down. Last year for Fetch, I wasn't really following music publications as much (covid I guess, time for reading was mostly spent reading the news instead of music reviews), so I didn't really board the hype train. But then when the album released I saw a few stellar reviews and figured I'd give it a shot and I loved the album. Maybe it's just the state of mind I was in in 2012 vs 2020, or maybe there truly was more hype for Idler Wheel than Fetch, but I assume it's probably the former.

Having said all that, Fetch is my favorite Apple album. I've since gone back and really enjoyed a few of her other albums (especially Tidal), but Idler Wheel still doesn't tick as much for me as any of her other albums.

Side note: Fetch the Bolt Cutters has some of the worst album artwork I've ever seen. Looks like a collage made by a preteen *shrug*
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 08/24/2021 00:03
  • Post subject:
Fetch The Bolt Cutters defeats See You Tomorrow 12-5 to win the bronze medal.