Album of the day (#3914): Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/06/2021 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3914): Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme
Today's album of the day

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme by Simon & Garfunkel (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1966.
Overall rank: 523
Average rating: 80/100 (from 557 votes).

Tracks:
1. Scarborough Fair/Canticle
2. Patterns
3. Cloudy
4. Homeward Bound
5. The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine
6. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
7. The Dangling Conversation
8. Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall
9. A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd Into Submission)
10. For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
11. A Poem On The Underground Wall
12. 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2021 00:04
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Simon & Garfunkel's first masterpiece, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme was also the first album on which the duo, in tandem with engineer Roy Halee, exerted total control from beginning to end, right down to the mixing, and it is an achievement akin to the Beatles' Revolver or the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album, and just as personal and pointed as either of those records at their respective bests.
- Bruce Eder, AllMusic

Wish the internet kids could appreciate as much as I do. Absolute masterpiece in my book.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2021 01:21
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Quote:
Simon & Garfunkel's first masterpiece, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme was also the first album on which the duo, in tandem with engineer Roy Halee, exerted total control from beginning to end, right down to the mixing, and it is an achievement akin to the Beatles' Revolver or the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album, and just as personal and pointed as either of those records at their respective bests.
- Bruce Eder, AllMusic

Wish the internet kids could appreciate as much as I do. Absolute masterpiece in my book.

Totally agree, with the exception of Edler's assertion that this is S&G's "first masterpiece". Sounds of Silence is a masterpiece. Tom Wilson's mix of "The Sound of Silence" is amazing and IMO better than the original more folk-y version. It's a bit of a happy accident that Wilson's mix was hated by Paul & Art, but brought them back together, got them angry together, and led them to record and release most of the rest of their music under their (almost) complete control and direction.

This album was in my top 10 for a long time. I still adore it, there's just many other albums I've discovered which I also adore. "Homeward Bound" has accompanied me on many a Greyhound bus trip... Some songs make you nostalgic, others make you glad you never have to take a Greyhound to Bumblefuck Nowhere, USA ever again. It's one of those incredible songs that cheers me up when I'm sad, but drags me down when I'm happy. "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens is similar. Not many things can evoke such emotions for me, and for that I am so thankful for the song existing, and for Paul & Art for writing and recording it.
BLO

• Posted: 09/07/2021 16:55
  • Post subject:
I legitimately think the only reason "Sound of Silence" sits higher than this album in the rankings is more people have listened to the former due to the title track. This album is better in every way. The songwriting, the vocal arrangements, the experimentation, and the consistency are all vastly superior on this lp.
  • Visit poster's website