Charlie Watts

View previous topic :: View next topic
hwex9000

• Posted: 08/24/2021 19:08
  • Post subject: Charlie Watts
Charlie Watts, legendary drummer of the Rolling Stones, has passed away at 80.

Even though he was 80 years old and not in the best of health (the Stone recently announced that Watts would not be able to join them for their upcoming tour because of an unspecified medical procedure; with characteristic self-effacement and humor, Watts himself issued a statement that "For the first time ever, my timing is off"), I still was not expecting this. I wonder if he just didn't want people to know how sick he actually was.

I have always assumed that once Charlie was gone, the Rolling Stones would cease to be. Presumably they're obligated to play out this tour (session drummer and longtime Keith Richards cohort Steve Jordan is filling in behind the kit), but after that I can't see the rest of the band going on, or wanting to.
  • Visit poster's website
hwex9000

• Posted: 08/24/2021 19:10
  • Post subject:
Sorry - I thought I was posting this in the Remembrance section. Not sure how to move a post, so I will probably copy it there.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 08/30/2021 03:09
  • Post subject: Re: Charlie Watts
hwcolum wrote:
I have always assumed that once Charlie was gone, the Rolling Stones would cease to be. Presumably they're obligated to play out this tour (session drummer and longtime Keith Richards cohort Steve Jordan is filling in behind the kit), but after that I can't see the rest of the band going on, or wanting to.

Would be funny (not haha) if Steve Jordan stayed on. Darryl Jones' first major gig was playing with Miles Davis from 1983 to 1985, and Steve Jordan also recorded and toured with jazz/fusion musicians in the 80s (a lot!), like John Scofield (who played alongside D. Jones with Miles), David Sanborn, Herbie Mann, the Brecker Brothers, Lyle Mays, Mike Stern, Steve Khan, Spyro Gyra and Kazumi Watanabe.
  • Visit poster's website
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2021 15:37
  • Post subject: Re: Charlie Watts
PurpleHazel wrote:
Would be funny (not haha) if Steve Jordan stayed on. Darryl Jones' first major gig was playing with Miles Davis from 1983 to 1985, and Steve Jordan also recorded and toured with jazz/fusion musicians in the 80s (a lot!), like John Scofield (who played alongside D. Jones with Miles), David Sanborn, Herbie Mann, the Brecker Brothers, Lyle Mays, Mike Stern, Steve Khan, Spyro Gyra and Kazumi Watanabe.

That's certainly some good qualifications to be a Stones drummer, Charlie being a decent jazz drummer himself.