2021 Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2021 02:26
  • Post subject:
Okay, I haven’t seen any of the Daniel Craig Bond movies (and only a couple Bond movies in general), but I just saw No Time To Die with my mom, and I thought it was good but not great.

In theory, it has almost EVERYTHING I could ask for in an action movie: Breathtaking cinematography and choreography, strong setup and payback in so many scenes, compelling performances, and even a few powerful Malickian moments at the end. But for some reason I couldn’t give it to myself to give it even a 3.5. Maybe it’s the way it’s literally a hagiography to racist copaganda; maybe it’s the way the script awkwardly dances beyond the ableist facial disfigurement of Rami Malik with phrases like “I can’t trust pretty faces” and “people like that are more likely dangers to themselves”; maybe it’s the way (despite seemingly being finished before the pandemic?) it tries to be so “topical” without actually saying anything about the world. It never felt offensive to me, but it definitely felt a little hollow at the end.

It’s weird, because I feel like I’ve focused much less on the politics of most movies since I became a filmmaker, and much more on formalism. But No Time to Die proved that sometimes even “dynamic visual language” isn’t enough on its own. After all, I feel like even stuff I love like Police Story and Michael Snow’s Le Region Centrale still talk about things in the world in new ways, particularly in how we SEE the world. This just felt like a capitalist confirmation bias in that regard, and that made all the virtuosity lack the power of something like John Woo’s The Killer.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

United Kingdom

• Posted: 3 days ago
  • Post subject:
The Todd Haynes Velvets doc is excellent. One of the best music docs I’ve seen.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 3 days ago
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
The Todd Haynes Velvets doc is excellent. One of the best music docs I’ve seen.

Looking forward to it. I've heard great things as well.

Side note on music— tis Jonny Greenwood's year to win an Oscar. The Power of the Dog / Spencer / Licorice Pizza, I don't care. Overdue.

Side-side note on film— Petite Maman, Gunda, and Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy get two thumbs up from me. Dune was okay. Titane was... good. Berman Island meh. I'm Your Man was goofy and decent, but not a heavyhitter. Fever Dream baaaaad. There's a also a film going around called Nowhere Special that impressed me. It's a bit of tear-jerker bait, but it's done well.

And I don't usually go for Marvel stuff, but I gave Black Widow a watch. I don't have much to say about it honestly. I don't understand this stuff.
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 43 hours ago
  • Post subject:
My eyes liked Dune. My ears were not fans.
Now when it says it restricts our signatures to 250 characters, does it give us any indication when we're nearing the limit, or is it one of those things where we need to count it ourselves? If so, what if I'm too lazy to cou
  • Visit poster's website