View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2021 15:50
  • Post subject:
1)

30 Something by Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine
Wow this was great. THIS was what I came here for, a totally new experience that opened me up to a new sub-genre that I hadn't listened to before but definitely should be listening to. I've never heard of "grebo" before, but I've listened to other forms of alternative dance or dance punk, and this really hits the spot brilliantly.

There's some awesome anthemic songs here from "Surfin' USM" to "Shopper's Paradise" and beyond, while also being surprisingly deep like on "Bloodsport for All" or "Second to Last Will and Testament", something I'm not typically used to with this kind of genre (usually it's either more dancy with sillier lyrics, or the lyrics are indistinguishable as in harder punk or more electronic dance). I'll definitely need to listen again since the lyrics seem much more interesting than I was prepared for.

1991 is a stacked year for music, but this might be going near the top of that year's chart. Easily top 5, but I'll need to listen again (also perhaps need to listen to The KLF again since I have that ranked at #2 and it's been a while since I've listened). Easy 4/5, maybe higher, and this album might become an instant favorite.

2)

Jump Rope Gazers by The Beths
I much prefer The Beths' debut but this is a solid follow-up.

3)
5 albums from each at least until one or the other runs out of steam.

NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women:
110. Platinum by Miranda Lambert
114. Rumor Has It by Reba McEntire
118. I Feel for You by Chaka Khan
124. No Secrets by Carly Simon
132. I Am Shelby Lynne by Shelby Lynne

Purplepash's top albums of the 1990s:
8. Where You Been by Dinosaur Jr.
24. Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs by Ministry
26. Guide to Better Living by Grinspoon
33. Frogstomp by Silverchair
36. ShaShaVaGlava by Spiderbait
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 04:59
  • Post subject:

To See The Next Part Of The Dream by íŚ...Parannoul]

I had a review, then it got deleted.

Good album. Very Happy

Chaka Khan will be your next listen.

G_d's Pee at State's End- GY!BE
Chemtrails Over The Country Club (fuck you guys)
To See The Next Part Of The Dream- Paranoul
Donda- Kanye West
Daddy's Home- St Vincent
Blue Weekend- Wolf Alice
Happier Than Ever- Billie Eilish (now y'all just trippin')
Hey What- Low
A Beginner's Mind- Sufjan Stevens & whocares
By The Time I Get To Phoenix- Injury Reserve
Roadrunner- Brockhampton
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 10/13/2021 10:01
  • Post subject:

Jump Rope Gazers by The Beths

Decent follow up to a decent debut. It doesn't have anything quite as catchy as Future Me Hates Me, but there is still a few songs with some great energy, likeable vocal melodies, and solid power pop indie rock and pop tunes. I really liked the first couple of tracks, a bit more rock than pop, more than the last couple which were a bit more pop than rock, but I enjoyed the journey getting there. A high 7.5/10.

I wasn't that keen on it but it's not about me. Hey What by Low

Hey What by Low

Top 100 Music Albums of 2020 by baystateoftheart (3 picks left)

3. Rocket To Nebula by Killah Priest
11. @@@@@ by Arca
16. Dedicated Side B by Carly Rae Jepsen
17. Laughing Gas by Wild Nothing
27. Disco by Kylie Minogue
31. Island by Owen Pallett
33. Little Dominiques Nosebleed by The Koreatown Oddity
36. Manger On McNichols by Boldy James & Sterling Toles
39. Marlowe 2 by Marlowe
44. Song Of Sage: Post Panic! by Navy Blue
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 19:47
  • Post subject:
1)

I Feel For You by Chaka Khan
This album was somehow less than the sum of its parts? I enjoyed almost all of the singles: "I Feel for You", "This Is My Night", and "Through the Fire" are all solid, and none of the remaining tracks are much worse, but somehow I just got so bored listening through this album, and it really isn't even that long at just over 45 minutes. I think maybe I should listen to more Rufus to appreciate Chaka Khan? Absent of that though, this was a little disappointing. Not bad, I did like the album as a whole, but nothing special.

2)

Dedicated Side B by Carly Rae Jepsen
Of the 10 albums there, I've only listened to this and the Arca "album" (which is really an hour-long remix of a single song), and I really did not enjoy the Arca piece. Dedicated Side B is pretty strong actually, I'd recommend listening to Dedicated from 2019 as well if you haven't yet.

3)

110. Platinum by Miranda Lambert *last chance
142. My Life by Iris DeMent

33. Frogstomp by Silverchair
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2021 04:00
  • Post subject:

Hey What by Low

It took awhile for me to get into the album, but by the final track, I was on board. I don't know if I'd rate it as high as some others, but I think that it's another interesting late career album by a band that's continued to evolve and try something new.

I'm gonna go with Silverchair this time.

Chemtrails Over The Country Club (fuck you guys)
To See The Next Part Of The Dream- Paranoul
Donda- Kanye West
Daddy's Home- St Vincent
Blue Weekend- Wolf Alice
Roadrunner- Brockhampton
Sinner Get Ready- Lingua Ignota
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2021 17:31
  • Post subject:
1)

Frogstomp by Silverchair
Yeah I was not a fan of this. I could see how a bigger grunge fan would like Silverchair, but to me this just seemed like a pale imitation of the better grunge acts like Pearl Jam (who I would say I'm also not a huge fan of, though they have some good songs). Don't think I'll be coming back to this, despite recognizing a couple songs. This is probably my least favorite from your chart so far Purplepash, slightly lower than Lemonheads.

2)
As much as I'd love to pick Parannoul again, I'm going with Lana Del Rey. I understand the commentary for Billie Eilish (her second album is meh IMO), but I'm surprised that the "fuck you guys" is aimed at Lana and not Kanye lol. Both are solid albums but not either's best. I quite like LDR and I think Chemtrails is a solid follow-up to Norman Fucking Rockwell, though nowhere near as good.

3)
147. Dolemn Music by Meredith Monk
40. Raise by Swervedriver
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 10/15/2021 02:47
  • Post subject:

Chemtrails Over The Country Club by Lana Del Rey

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse Flogging a dead horse

OK, y'all know how much I want to poop on this album, but I think that Weyes Blood absolutely dunking on Lana on the Joni Mitchell cover is enough of an insult.

JK, of course I've got some more.

Worst lyric contenders:

All those who wander are lost/ It's just wanderlust

(This is somehow an entire verse) Summer, sizzling/ Listening to jazz out on the lawn/ Listеning to White Stripes when thеy were white-hot/ Listening to rock all day long

It's beautiful how this deep normality settles down over me/ I'm not bored or unhappy, I'm still so strange and wild

We could get lost in the purple rain/ Talk about the good ol' days/ We could get high on some pink champagne/ Baby, let me count the ways

So I smoke cigarettes/ Just to understand the smog

I love you lots like polka dots/ You're killing me more/ Than coffee pots and Insta' thots

I remember watching How Green Was My Valley/ Then I was thinking/ "How deep was the canyon that you came from?"/ Television static was quite overwhelming/ Was it because of the cabin and the candles in the wind?

Alright, here's where things get spicy.

"I don't wanna end up like Tammy Wynette." Don't you dare be disparaging the name of Tammy Wynette. Don't you do it. I can't tell what this is supposed to mean, and I think it seems insensitive to the issues that she faced. (And her complicated relationship with George Jones.)

OK, I learned through looking at Genius for the lyrics that she was dating Sean "Sticks" Larkin?!? One of the cop experts that was on Live PD? (Which was the best show on television until they took it off.)

That is utterly bizarre, and I guess the song "Tulsa Jesus Freak" must be about him somewhat, because that's where he is from.

In that song, she sings about "r-can-zuss" which is actually how you pronounce the "r-can-saw" River when you are not in the state of Arkansas. If you're in Oklahoma or Kansas it's pronounced the way that she says it. I shocked to hear that, so I'll give respect where respect is due.

OK, this last thing doesn't even have to do with her, but I'm going to mention it anyway.

I was on Genius to read the lyrics, and this annotation for her mention of Lincoln, Nebraska absolutely irked me.

"Her managers have commented, saying she chose odd places to go that don’t make much sense for a tour, and one of those “odd places” ended up being Lincoln, Nebraska."

Lincoln's a great city, and it's got nearly 300,000 people in it. It's a state capital. The only thing "odd" about it is that it's in the Midwest.

Jefferson City, Missouri? Now that would be odd. It's a capital, but it's only got 40,000 people in it. That would be odd. Lincoln is a major city.

BTW, the album is actually not the worst I've heard from her, so I could handle it. Still made me wince (not cringe) a couple of times though. So much of her music and aesthetic seems like parody to me.

Oh yeah! Dolmen Music! Have fun!

Donda- Kanye West
Daddy's Home- St Vincent
Blue Weekend- Wolf Alice
Roadrunner- Brockhampton
Sinner Get Ready- Lingua Ignota
Pressure Machine- The Killers (now we're just getting into meme territory)
New Long Leg- Dry Cleaning
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 10/15/2021 08:57
  • Post subject:

Dedicated Side B by Carly Rae Jepsen

This is the 4th Album of hers I've heard now and my opinion of her music still hasn't changed since the last one I listened to thru this game a couple of years ago. I guess it's not really her fault, I just almost never enjoy anything from the dance-pop genre. What I did find interesting 5/10

This time I'm going with the album I like the most from these. I've got a soft spot for Wolf Alice and all their albums.

Blue Weekend by Wolf Alice

Top 100 Music Albums of 2020 by baystateoftheart (2 picks left)

3. Rocket To Nebula by Killah Priest
11. @@@@@ by Arca
17. Laughing Gas by Wild Nothing
27. Disco by Kylie Minogue
31. Island by Owen Pallett
33. Little Dominiques Nosebleed by The Koreatown Oddity
36. Manger On McNichols by Boldy James & Sterling Toles
39. Marlowe 2 by Marlowe
44. Song Of Sage: Post Panic! by Navy Blue
46. The Price Of Tea In China by Boldy James & The Alchemist
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/15/2021 10:47
  • Post subject:
(1)

Wind by Gigi Masin
Absolutely adored this. From the opening notes of Call Me I knew I was in for a great album. The synth work on that track is amazing, stylistically it's perfect. New age, ambient, synths, chill and melancholic and beautiful while effortlessly combining several of the genres I love in a way I haven't heard before. While I didn't expect that, the thing I truly wasn't ready for was the sax. Sax and ambient or chill music in general shouldn't work together, as saxophone isn't a "background" instrument. It needs to be a driving force of the song's melody or solo (most of the time). The balance between ambient-ish parts and saxophone work on Wind is unlike anything I've heard before, you get the best of both worlds. Whether the album goes for more sax-centred compositions or ambient/new age, it always works. Even the vocals were great, in fact I wish they were present on more of the songs. The ambient parts were interesting even when taken out of context, they were dynamic, lush, hypnotic. So many things going on in terms of timbre, instrument changes, various effects etc. The first half was definitely better, things get slower in the second half but the quality never drops too much. Conversations was perhaps the only song which I didn't really like overall as it felt more like an interlude, and you don't really need interludes on an album like this one imo. It all ends on a high note with The Sea of Sands, the best ambient piece herel. In terms of general sound on the record, I do associate it more with waves/sea than wind and it may not be a coincidence since one of my all time fave ambient albums is Black Sea by Fennesz. In fact there's a lot of similarities between the two, both are "ambient" but so much more dynamic and imaginative than an average ambient album, one going for glitchy guitar-driven sound while the other has sax and vocals on top of new age/ambient background. Unusual combinations which work like a charm. One of the best albums I've heard in this game, maybe even a contender for my overall chart (one day). 9.5/10

(2)
Some good stuff there, go with Mangers on McNichols since I've revisited that one a few days ago. Still as great as on first listen.

(3)
Everything and then some

Turnstile - Glow On
Lorde - Solar Power
The Pyramids - King of Kings
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms...
Cursed - II
Antediluvian - The Divine Punishment
Pink Siifu - Gumbo'!
Univers Zero - Ceux du Dehors
Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
Nikos Xilouris - Sillogi

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 10/15/2021 15:43
  • Post subject:
1)

Dolmen Music by Meredith Monk
This was the perfect amount of weird. It's oddly fitting that Monk is her last name when she's creating music that draws many similarities with the music made by monks during the medieval period and early renaissance. Albeit...weirder, you don't hear a lot of voice trills in Gregorian chants. As far as I can tell that's not a very European practice, so it's interesting hearing Monk divert from the classical and move more into the modern avant-garde.

The final track "Dolmen Music" at 23 minutes is definitely the standout here, and I think my favorite bit is the first ~8 minutes which feature the overture, the male voices, and the beginning of the cello bit. Man that cello was my favorite part of the album. I'm partial since it's the one instrument I've ever been able to play at any legitimate skill level, but sometimes the noises that thing can make are just so beautiful. Beautiful and haunting in "Dolmen Music", subdued behind the voices on occasion but also at the forefront.

Lovely recommendation, if I'm in the mood for some avant-garde again, I'll definitely seek out Meredith Monk.

2)
Hmm I've only listened to Lorde out of those, but let's go for Antediluvian since that sounds metal

3)
148. The Mosaic Project by Terri Lyne Carrington *this marks the end of this chart!
40. Raise by Swervedriver