Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2023)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 136, 137, 138  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/22/2021 17:59
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
@ TiggaTrigga

I upgraded Rembrandt's Night Watch (see new Top 10+ just above this)

Also, I added a new link that I found to the highest quality, highest resolution image of it ever taken, better than anything you can possibly find of it besides being privy to the work direct-to-canvas, as an art historian/restorer etc.

I also added "notes" for a future analysis underneath the images/links of the work on the "Greatest Paintings" page. Incomplete and semi-disorganized for the time being, but should go a ways towards answering your earlier request. Very profound/mind-blowing if one really gets where Rembrandt is coming from through the analysis and painting. But if not, it should be made a bit clearer, sooner or later, after I polish it up and complete the write-up more fully. Besides that, perhaps only a study of Rembrandt's works will most wholly illuminate what he is accomplishing with his masterpiece.

I will definitely check that out! Have you viewed Cezanne's Mont Sainte-Victoire? https://bit.ly/3AU33PX

Of course! Cezanne is quite important to modern art (major influence on Picasso, cubism). Not sure when I'll be ready to rate his works though. He is in the same category, for the time being, as the key impressionists I mentioned in the previous reply, but I'll get back around to him sooner or later.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/24/2021 23:28
  • Post subject:
On my "Greatest Works of Art" list (link above each of the main Top 10+ posts), I added a "potential masterpieces" list for Literature/Poetry/Theater, just below the main list. It's not a major development, but it might be of some interest to those who've asked. And, even though it's far from an official set of ratings/rankings, those are the ones that are most likely to be worthy of inclusion, and they should at least be noted on such a list and among the other (Classical, Rock, Jazz, Film, Paintings) masterpieces that I've devoted (much) more time to personally verify.
  • Visit poster's website
geologist

• Posted: 10/25/2021 22:23
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
On my "Greatest Works of Art" list (link above each of the main Top 10+ posts), I added a "potential masterpieces" list for Literature/Poetry/Theater, just below the main list. It's not a major development, but it might be of some interest to those who've asked. And, even though it's far from an official set of ratings/rankings, those are the ones that are most likely to be worthy of inclusion, and they should at least be noted on such a list and among the other (Classical, Rock, Jazz, Film, Paintings) masterpieces that I've devoted (much) more time to personally verify.

Just for context, what's your level of experience with these "potential masterpieces"?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/25/2021 22:47
  • Post subject:
geologist wrote:
Just for context, what's your level of experience with these "potential masterpieces"?

Not enough on any of them to make a truly considered or precise rating/ranking.

I have read/seen, have decent experience with the following (but, again, far below what I would consider a "critical" or "evaluative" or truly "studious" standard with historical and artistic context):

Commedia - Dante Alighieri (1321) [Poetry]
Odyssey - Homeros (7## BC) [Poetry]
Hamlet - William Shakespeare (1601) [Theater]
Faust - Johann-Wolfgang von Goethe (1832) [Poetry/Theater]
Paradise Lost - John Milton (1667) [Poetry]
The Trial - Franz Kafka (1915) [Novel]
Ulysses - James Joyce (1922) [Novel]
El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha - Miguel de Cervantes (1615) [Novel]
Four Quartets - Thomas-Stearns Eliot (1943) [Poetry]
King Lear - William Shakespeare (1605) [Theater]
Macbeth - William Shakespeare (1606) [Theater]

No experience with these ones, except some general sense of their acclaim/historical importance:

Le Rouge et le Noir - Stendhal (1830) [Novel]
Buddenbrooks - Thomas Mann (1901) [Novel]
The Golden Bowl - Henry James (1904) [Novel]
Gargantua et Pantagruel - Francois Rabelais (1552) [Novel]
Les Fleurs du Mal - Charles Baudelaire (1857) [Poetry]
La Jeune Parque - Paul Valery (1917) [Poetry]

I have not gone through literature/poetry/theater history (or even remotely close to it) and even if taken up any of these just individually (detached from their histories as much as possible), I would not consider myself in a position to personally evaluate any of them in regards to their status as masterpieces (or not), except perhaps a vague sense of this, perhaps to some degree by "intuition" or "educated guess". So, this is only an educated guess based on what familiarity I do have, plus looking over Scaruffi's lists, and just my overall familiarity with other arts and rating/ranking them. And this is alone what those selections are based on (as noted).
  • Visit poster's website
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 10/28/2021 17:07
  • Post subject:
Random, but here is an incredible live Sister Ray from the VU's Doug Yule era (12/12/68 ). From around 1:05:00 to 1:06:30 they create a hyper-realist take on the sailor's murder by Cecil that is like Suicide's Frankie Teardrop. Then there's a pretty mindblowing 10 minutes of jamming that's more conventionally "psychedelic" (a la Pink Floyd or the Grateful Dead), with some surreal textures and unique feedback blasts toward the end. Then (at around 1:17:00) Lou does the "possessed" vocal he accomplished in the studio version but with an added preacher-like quality. Wow!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9dfOt4tcUs
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/28/2021 18:48
  • Post subject:
DelBocaVista wrote:
Random, but here is an incredible live Sister Ray from the VU's Doug Yule era (12/12/68 ). From around 1:05:00 to 1:06:30 they create a hyper-realist take on the sailor's murder by Cecil that is like Suicide's Frankie Teardrop. Then there's a pretty mindblowing 10 minutes of jamming that's more conventionally "psychedelic" (a la Pink Floyd or the Grateful Dead), with some surreal textures and unique feedback blasts toward the end. Then (at around 1:17:00) Lou does the "possessed" vocal he accomplished in the studio version but with an added preacher-like quality. Wow!

Ohhhhh, thank you - will definitely check it out. Seems like a good soundtrack for the last couple years! Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 10/28/2021 23:47
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
DelBocaVista wrote:

Ohhhhh, thank you - will definitely check it out. Seems like a good soundtrack for the last couple years! Laughing

You thinking of adding this version to your Greatest Songs list? Razz
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/29/2021 01:13
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
DelBocaVista wrote:

You thinking of adding this version to your Greatest Songs list? Razz

We'll see... I have to listen to it first but I don't include doubles or repeat tracks (such as multiple versions of official releases from an artist). However, maybe at some point I would make a note of them if they prove to be noteworthy enough that they should be included in some way. Just probably not on the list with the other entries.

Sort of like, for paintings, I wouldn't include Bruegel's son's copies of Bruegel the Elder's works. It's very redundant and the original is the original act of creation. They're pretty much just copies for the purpose of continuing the sales of the family after the Elder's death (even if they would technically rate close to the originals if one could somehow view them separately from the historical fact of being redundant repeats).
  • Visit poster's website
geologist

• Posted: 10/29/2021 01:37
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
We'll see... I have to listen to it first but I don't include doubles or repeat tracks (such as multiple versions of official releases from an artist). However, maybe at some point I would make a note of them if they prove to be noteworthy enough that they should be included in some way. Just probably not on the list with the other entries.

Would be cool to see a "best live performances" list thrown together sometime.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/29/2021 03:22
  • Post subject:
geologist wrote:
Would be cool to see a "best live performances" list thrown together sometime.

Cool idea but if I'm being honest that would be very low on my priorities ...but maybe eventually. Maybe someone else wants to give it a go though?

On the other hand, this just made me realize how silly it was that I actually made a Best American Idol/X Factor (etc) performances list despite how low that should've been on my list of priorities. Though in my defense, that is much less time consuming because the performances are about 3 min or less each and very easy to find because they tend to be (more or less) collected among same or similar searches whereas a Live list would take forever to make.

Maybe a live albums is more realistic but even that is pretty low on my priorities...

But again, maybe someone else could give it a go? DelBoca?
  • Visit poster's website