Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2021 21:44
  • Post subject:
1993:153/250

Man this album cover is so good. But it is time to go through another metal album. And man this is quite excellent. There is only a few complaints I would have with this album. For one, while I'd argue as the album continues, this melds pretty well with the sound, the vocals could feel a bit odd at first. The way they are "growled" feels a bit comical at times. But I will say they aren't the most intrusive vocals for a metal album The other thing I would complain about, and looking at the listing on this site the songs that go pass track 11 is where the production goes down since while I still feel the power as well as the complex playing, I prefer the clear and crisp mix of the main album. But going into the positives, yeah this is quite dynamic for a metal album, And it's not like they needed to do this. Most of these songs never go pass the 3 minute mark, so if the band wanted to, they could have got stuck in a groove and ride it out. But I'm glad they decided to go further and have every song have diverse sections and moments to keep the momentum of the album consistently high. But yeah, another metal record to add to docket of potential albums to go on the year end.

Grade:90
Possible to get on the year end chart. Though thinking about it, this could be a little higher.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2021 21:46
  • Post subject:
nice! Love Nespithe! Good write up.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2021 21:52
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
nice! Love Nespithe! Good write up.

Yeah. Saw it on your year end list, so I decided to give it a listen. Really enjoyable. Probably will find some other albums that I need to hit up.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2021 19:44
  • Post subject:
Well, time to clean up some electronic music from 1993. Doing this in part to get more work done but also the new Metroid game got me in an electronic mood, so going to get a bit monotonous in a genre wise. Also with a new Metroid game, I might not be posting two albums a day. It might be one or nothing.

1993:154/250

In all seriousness, if this album had a little more nuance in the sound play, this could have been a 100 for me. Maybe not a tier one or two 100 for me since, there is a tell that this was made in the early 90's though I do see it could have been a tier three 100. But for what it is, I do love this a lot. Love the space age synthesizers. Feels quite otherworldly and magical. The punchy drums hit. The worldbuilding of the tracks to create something that sounds quite cohesive in its own microcosm. It probably will be passé for some listeners compared to electronic music as of now. Especially if you want something cutting edge or brain warping. But if you want something welcoming, give this a listen.

Grade:95
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2021 21:45
  • Post subject:
1993:155/250

Weren't we going to go through a bit of a electronic binge for 1993? Well yeah. But needed something traditional. Well it more revolves around my job. However, this isn't about me. It is about Luther. An artist that I feel I should have a bigger chunk of his discography completed compare to the only 2 albums I completed. And for a early 90's R&B album, this is quite excellent. If there was a complaint for this album, I would say I wished some of the songs on this record went a little further with the musical playing. But for what it is, this is really well done. The album knows how to make a long cut from getting boring with either a key change or the soundscapes present that late night crusin on the highway. Also it does help that Luther Vandross is one of the most smooth vocalists in the R&B hall of fame.

Grade:90 Potential to get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2021 21:39
  • Post subject:
1993:156/250

After listening to Luther Vandross, I realized earlier that Earth Wind & Fire had a record from 1993. And unsurprisingly, this was jammin. Quite meticulous with it's grooves and pop sensibilities. Vocally, hits with flying colors and is pretty diverse with it's sound palette. Maybe for some listeners, this could be somewhat cheesy. But I'd argue it's that sincerity that makes those qualities feel earned. Or it is an emotion that feels misunderstood. There are plenty of granular details within the sound that I just love to dig up in this album. Just need to listen to more Earth Wind & Fire. Though this would be my fourth compared to Luther's second.

High contender for the year end.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2021 20:20
  • Post subject:
1993:157/250

Originally, I wanted to post about this album yesterday. But ended up sinking most of the album for a minimum of three times. So I was able to get more mileage on this album then I would have expected. But I'm not complaining about since I really do enjoy a-ha. I found there 2000 album quite excellent. Though it has been a good bit since I heard that album. And I do have there 80's output still in the backburner. But on Memorial Beach, this is honestly better than the 2000 record. Now keep in mind of the last sentence, but oddly enough this album resonated with me more. And that comes from the sound of this record. Which, while still has there blend of new wave feels quite summery and vast for there palette. The summery aesthetic is a vibe that I can get behind, even if it is getting cold for me. Musically the tracks have a fine base and build upon the start like Angel In The Snow. Or let the guitar tones drift you into a different plane. Pretty stellar stuff.

High contender for the year end.

So if I noticed, Tears For Fears is left for the 80's new wave/synthpop acts that had an album in 1993. Will get to that soon.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2021 21:45
  • Post subject:
1969:22/250
mianfei:3/6

So I realized Laura also has a record for 1993. Going to check that album soon. But with this record, this was fantastic. Not perfect. I think the only issue is that my mind started to drift a bit from listening to album as well as looking at my phone. Otherwise, the big thing that I love about this album is this particular balance of being quiet and somber while also being able to be boisterous and lively at a flick of a switch. The mix of stark piano's and lively sounds of jazz and pop from the 1960's is a bonus. But also a big shout out comes from Laura's vocals which just hits. I get why Mian would pick this for me due to my admiration/enjoyment for Hejira. Because Laura's vocals does remind me of Joni's vocal range and certain characteristics. Don't know who I would pick in a battle royal matchup. They both work for me really well. If you haven't listen to this, give this a listen.

Grade:95. Realistically it's on a cusp of being a 100. That's the beauty of 1969.

High consideration for the year end of 1969.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2021 20:12
  • Post subject:
So my original plan was to get a couple records done for Sunday. That didn't go through. So let's make up some time. Especially since I got a musical purchase done with air pods. Hopefully more records can get knocked out quicker than usual. The only thing holding me now is work as well as the urge to play some video games.
1993:158/250

Now for 1993 Laura, this was massively enjoyable. Even if the album doesn't feel "exciting" this album hits a certain itch for me that I really enjoy. Now I put exciting in quotations due to I know some listeners will find this quite boring. I could point to several albums through the 90's that I have gave a 100 to. But this album hits that particular vibe of the sophisti-pop genre. Its jazz pop is very comfortable and relaxing while having certain details that peeks my interest. Love the multi layered vocals that Laura does. As well as find the sparse piano ballad quite enjoyable. If there was anything that would hold this back, I wished this album dabbled more in the sophisti pop soundscapes. That genre fits Laura like a glove. As well as a few songs were a bit longer like the opener. But that might be unnecessary since this album is less than 40 minutes.

The next question, which one is better? For musical aesthetic I'd say the 1993 album is better. But for more intricate dynamics I would wager the 1969 album. But both of them are highly enjoyable.

High contender for the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2021 23:06
  • Post subject:
1972:4/250 Yeah, this is rough
mianfei:4/6

There is a part of me that was tempted to give this album the first 100 for this diary. The general aesthetic of this particular album is really tantalizing. The blend of soul, funk and early electronics made this one of those records that was really easy to enjoy from front to back. The biggest highlight of this album being Superwoman with its diverse and well refined three portions that make up that tune. And the album itself describes the vibe from that track. And there are other highlights that pop up through the track list. For one I love the talkbox portions that creep up through the album. They act like ingredients compared to the refinement and identity that will reside in the 80's from Zapp. And note that isn't a diss. Zapp and there leadman Roger Troutman is one of my personal favorite acts in music. I also love how Girl Blue transitions into Seems So Long really nicely. I also love the summery sound of Happier Than The Morning Sun. It feels like laying down on the grass on a breezy summer day. The infectious jazz chords. Stevie's vocals, which I feel like I don't have to point out. It should be obvious that his voice just hits.

So what would be the complaint? Maybe if there was a few electronic elements in the songs that didn't have it could have kept the momentum? Though if it was going to be a high 100, if every track was like Superwoman I would have lost my shit. But I can't be greedy. Still got some Stevie to listen to. Also need to give his 73 album a revisit. An 80 feels to low for that album. But I'll get to that later.

Grade:95 but it's on the cusp of a 100

High contender for 1972 year end. Whenever I get to that.
  • Visit poster's website