Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2021 20:50
  • Post subject:
1993:159/250

Man that album cover is crusty. The artifacts don't do the album cover justice. But back to the music. Knowing about the music meme that is What Is Love, I was somewhat curious how the album would be. And I got to say, I was quite impressed with this album. What Is Love is a killer early 90's dance hit. From the colorful synth tones that feels quite welcoming and feel good with Haddaway's vocals that are charismatic and full of conviction. So take those qualities from that track and you get a very inviting and fun album. But I think what impressed me more was that there were some songs that felt different compared to the techno tracks.

Other factors I would mention is that the vocals from Haddaway reminded of other artists. Like Seal makes more sense since Seal's 1991 album is quite similar. But the harder sell for me is some of the vocals were reminding me of Peter Gabriel from So. Now, what is the catch? To me, some of the techno tracks while not same sounding to the big hit compositionally feels similar from one to another. But, this was really impressive. Compared to early 90's dance music, this was better than The Sign.

Grade:90
Potential to get on the year end list. But could get higher. I might be underplaying this album to be honest.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2021 20:31
  • Post subject:
1993:160/250

Well, this was fine. For a techno record from the early 90's, I do find some of the techniques of this album to be interesting but throughout the entire album, I was waiting for this album to hook me up and have me impressed for it's run time. Instead, I was mildly amused but somewhat bored by it. Want to put away the glow sticks and get a different album. Maybe there are some fans of this album. Or this is one of those records you had to be in the know during the release of the album.

Grade:70 but could go lower to a 65.

There is no chance this will get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2021 23:23
  • Post subject:
1993:161/250

Love this album cover. For one, anything that gives me Pikmin vibes is a major plus. But on a more realistic sense, this album cover is pretty emblematic of what is on this album. It may not be the weirdest rock album out there. Not even for the entirety of the 90's At first the opener is somewhat unassuming. But as it goes along, there are moments this can get quite weird. But not in a meandering way. These songs have hooks for days, addicting grooves and a playful atmosphere. I could see this be a hidden gem that gets discover and could be a chart climber. And if that ever happens, you could thank Chief for that. But I will say to him, why is this at the bottom of your list for 1993? But seriously, if you want an album that is quite varied and feels somewhat ambitious to Jellyfish, give this a listen.

Grade:95
Now that I think about it, this will probably be in the 30 to 40 range for the year depending on the remaining competition. But highly likely to get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2021 18:58
  • Post subject:
1993:162/250

So this album is En Mana Kuoyo by Ayub Ogada. This comes from Hayden's year end list. Which, if the listener wants to venture through new music from other parts of the world that never see the light of day, go to Hayden's list. They are a gold mine for these types of picks. For me, this album is quite good. Borderline on great. The playing is quite sparse and free with its production being quite crisp and clear. There is a relaxing summery vibe to this album that would be good for early in the morning and getting ready for breakfast. As well as Ayub's vocals are welcoming to the ears. I just wished it hooked me in way more. Tracks like the opener the tile track and Kothbiro have these ideas and varied sounds that keep me invested for these tracks. But for all the way through, I feel like I want to get to a different album. Maybe some of the lyrics on this album have a stark contrast compare to the pleasant vibe? But at the end of the day, this was a nice ride. But not one that I would keep in rotation.

Grade:75
Low honorable mention but wouldn't get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2021 20:28
  • Post subject:
1993:163/250

So, The Sea Of Serenity comes from SleepDealer's list for 1993. And honestly this is phenomenal. Because the title not only plays with the general soundscape of the record but also the vibe of the record. A record that is quite serene and relaxing. Maybe a bit mid pace for some. But for me feels grand and vast. Feels like drifting through the vast sea of our planet and finding crazy temples or just drifting along while having a smile on my face. The instrumentation is quite diverse. Runs the gambit of pop, jazz, new age, ambient, dub/reggae and other genres that are mixed within this album that I probably missed. But I feel like I hit them all. Vocally, that gels with the sound of the record really nicely. Like, even with the opener dialogue of this album while can be a bit unassuming in the scope of this album, it gets repurposed for the closer. So, for the first time on my diary and won't be my last in a long shot I feel confident to give this album this particular score. And the crazy thing about this is that this act has another album for 1993. And if it is amazing as this, well shit!

Grade:100
As of now, has a slot for the top 10 of the year and the decade. Check it out if you haven't.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2021 11:30
  • Post subject:
Taken from the listen to album below you game. Also to catalogue new album listen, but going foward, I will group this in a set of 5 records. So the diary doesn't get bogged down.

2012:22/250, the lowest amount of record from my listening habits for the 2010's.

Wait, didn't you need to listen to the New Order album. Well bay actually gave me an option to have a different album since I have been gone from this game for a little bit. And it gives me more material to post on my new diary. Shameless advertising aside, lets get on to the main attraction. I quite find this album to be excellent. A very welcoming sounding electro pop from the early 2010's that feels warm to the touch. With it's glimmering synths, optimistic attitude and vocal performances that make the listener feel the conviction. Well hopefully, if the performances hit the listeners particular sweet spot. Though the counterpoint with the album is how the lyrics can be quite sarcastic or dejected. I think those the right adjectives. But you take a track like Love Is Greed with its chorus, and it is pretty noticeable. So, why isn't this higher? I think if the production took the more ambitious song structures on tracks like Mirrored Sea, Cry Like a Ghost and Where We Belong I could see this album getting a higher grade from me. But then again, I tend to get these ambitious notions with Sufjan Stevens electronic records like The Age of Adz and The Ascension.

• Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2021 16:11
  • Post subject:
1993:164/250

So this is the other record from Dip In The Pool. Last time I was gushing over there other album. Mentioned the lines of if this album was as good as that record, we would have hit a bit of a conundrum. I was thinking I could had a potential two 100's back to back. So did they get it? Nope. And I wouldn't say it was without trying. Because in a lot of ways, this shares similar qualities of the other album. Quite relaxing. Quite varied. In a lot of ways this album is pretty great. The problem that arises from this album would be, playing into the concept of the album more. That concept is on the album cover. Wished this venture through the ambient/electronic flourishes way more to venture through outer space. Something I love to imagine. Because I don't think we'll get to that in our life time. The other issue oddly enough is that this record is shorter to Sea of Serenity, but the dragging is more noticeable. Maybe, I should have listen to this first. This feels like the reverse of Faye Wong's albums.

Grade:85
A possible honorable mention for the year end, but wouldn't make the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2021 20:21
  • Post subject:
1993:165/250

This was pretty excellent. I don't know if this is better than the Pet Shop Boys record. But this isn't as amazing as the Depeche Mode record. Maybe during the first run of the top 100 of 1993, I felt somewhat tired when going through the first few songs of this album. Now after getting the album a full listen, I really enjoy it. While I do enjoy the groove and energy of the first half of the album, the more chilled and atmospheric back half I find pretty evocative and enveloping. Also after listening to this, I went to listen to there new single for there new album. And I really enjoy that track. So, I'm excited and with that I'll listen to there other albums before it comes out.

• Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2021 17:17
  • Post subject:
From the game canon. But it came from 1993, so it has to be added immediately.

1993:166/250

Looking at the album cover, I was a bit curious a Pash saying I'll probably like this. After finishing up the album, I understand that notion. The mix of early 90's rave/electronic music with nods to downtempo and trip hop in the mix was something I was expecting. And the main tunes of this album from front to back just hit. For people who enjoy Primal Scream's 1991 album I say give this a shot. The only thing that holds this back for me would be the spoken movie samples sprinkled through the album. And while I do get the intent of them for showing how far the culture came from the 50's to the early 90's. I just feel the execution miss that particular mark to make that impression meaningful. Still, a worthwhile album.

A possible year end contender
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2021 23:08
  • Post subject:
1993:167/250

Well, its been a bit. Haven't felt to listen to new things for a bit. But I'm back with an album that while I think is quite good, feels quite dated for 1993. Like, when this album goes into the groove and the space age soundscapes, this hits a certain high. But I wouldn't say it goes further with that particular sound. Or I am takin out of the experience of the dated 80's electro scratches on track 5 or the synths on the last track. Or how while the album transitions from track to track, the first one end abruptly and start a new song half way in. So while I do enjoy it from time to time, it isn't an absolute favorite for me.

Grade:75
Low honorable mention but wouldn't get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website