Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/25/2021 13:18
  • Post subject:
(1)

Blue Banisters by Lana Del Rey
EyeKanFly is right, this isn't in the same league as Chemtrails. It's still an above average Lana album imo (out of the 5 I've heard), this singer songwriter style suits her much better than that "sad" "indie" thing she was doing 5-6 years ago. In fact if you'd told me in 2017 that Lana would do 3 albums in a row which are good to great I'd laugh my ass off, but it was indeed one of the great artist transformations of recent years. At least in my opinion, I know a lot of people liked her pre-2019 stuff too. Apart from stylistically maturing and making plain better songs, I've personally stopped caring about her often cringy and over the top lyrics which was a big issue (I guess it still is, but unlike Chief, I can ignore her high-class poetry if the music's as good as it has been recently). Listening to her doesn't make me feel like an average teenage white Twitter girl anymore Laughing The biggest highlight would probably be Arcadia with its wonderful strings and great second part. Nectar of the Gods + Living Legend is a great combo, a folky gem and a piano-driven ballad, both wonderful. Those two come right after just slightly worse, but still good cut Wildflower Wildfire. The worst thing is easily that interlude, it sounds like some random ass trap beat mixed with a fake Morricone composition. Another dud was If You Lie Down Next To Me with its soulless "lala"s and boring verses and chorus. Although that one's almost saved by the unexpectedly cool 30s big band outro. The weirdest cut has to be Dealer, it has Miles Kane on vocals and Lana's doing some Olivia Rodrigo-like wails, and I'm still not sure if any of it works, but at least it's entertaining and different. The album's too long at 1 hour, even though it sounds consistently lovely and lulls you into pleasant half sleep, so you kinda forget it's that long. Despite its missteps, it's still decent. High 7/10

(2)
Benny the Butcher. Not sure if you'll like it, but it's one of the more popular rap albums of last year, so why not try it.

(3)
Later career gems (or not)

Lou Reed - Songs for Drella
David Bowie - Outside
Iron Maiden - Senjutsu
Summoning - Oath Bound
Killah Priest - Rocket To Nebula
King Crimson - THRAK
Bill Evans - You Must Believe in Spring
David Sylvian - Dead Bees on a Cake
Sonny Sharrock - Guitar
Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/25/2021 15:17
  • Post subject:

The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu

This album is both very strange and very familiar. Even at its strangest (such as Sentimental Journey) it's never utterly hard to listen to and challenging. Also, even at its most familiar punk rock badass moments (Non-Alignment Pact or Title track) there is something eschew and something not quite right about it - in a great off-kilter way.

I love this to be honest but I'm not finding much analytical things to say. Kinda frazzled at the moment after a loooong weekend. The riffs here are dope, the bass playing is great consistently - especially love the rumbling explosive bass attack on Street Waves. Love the atmosphere and almost dreamy feel of some moments/tracks especially Humor Me. Humer Me is so strange probably because the track builds and every second is phenomenal and dynamic and yet the vocals seem strange and un-fitting in a fun and funny and weird way. Lets talk about the vocals briefly... they are weird and unorthodox yes. They are dorky, and they are abrasive. Yet the more I listened and the further into the album on first revisit I liked em more and more. And then on return listens (listened 4 times in last few days) I liked em more and more. They are so damn weird and un-badass and hard to pin down what emotion they express. There is some punk anger, but there is also a whole lot of just weird non-sequitor-ness that I like.

Overall this album is so cool and unique even after 43 years. The whole band is punk rock and yet precise enough to pull off the tracks. LOve the occasional horn sounds. It has a badass first half and the second half doesn't let it down too bad. Sentimental Journey is maybe the one song I generally don't love but still find it brazen and wild to just have this onslaught of literal broken glass and what sounds like exploding lightbulbs.

33 minutes and no shit and its just a succinct and creative and cool statement of an album. Very glad I revisited it. 4/5 I suppose.

-------------------------

@LedZep,

Oh Mercy by Bob Dylan
This is a solid Dylan album. Not one of his all time classics but from what I understand it was a big come back album. He proceeded to release a really sketchy album just after to sideline the momentum of this well written album. But nonetheless there are some incredible songs here.

------------------------

Okay, I have decided what to do as a "gimmick" for my list, and that is simply no gimmick, no challenge and no forcing myself to listen to anything I'm not already majorly interested in and kind of in the bag for lol - so I simply have this big list of albums I want to hear and I roughly ranked em and then now I will at random grab 10 that seem like either really cool and up my alley or ones that I feel like an idiot for never listening to em. Here we go!
+ = this is the most recently added choice

1. Monuments to Thieves by His Hero is Gone/1996 (This is a classic crust punk album. I have had this ear marked for ages. I add it here now.)

2. Rear View Mirror by Townes Van Zandt/1993 (I used to idolize TVZ. Still love him. And this live album is a legendary release of his work. I have heard it but for some reason it never caught on with me when I was in the throes of TVZ listening. It's been over a decade and I really am interested in jumping back into this album)

3. Lanquidity by Sun Ra/1978 (A month ago I listened to a bit of this. I thought going into it that perhaps it would be a bit or a lot "beyond me" and maybe a bit too abstract for me to dig. Boy was I surprised to find that it kicks fucking ass! I want to jump back in and give this the time and attention it deserves at some point soon. Jazz Fusion of the coolest kind based off the 10 to 15 minutes I heard. And yes, this will be the first Sun ra album for me, friends, so that is a big deal.)

4. Mark Hollis by Mark Hollis/1998 (This is a shameful admission: I have never sat down - nor even stood up! - and listened to this album in one sitting - nor in one standing! I know I know how is this even admissible for someone that has Spirit of Eden high on his all time faves list? Idk. I have bit-and-pieced this album 1 or 2 times over the decade or so of awareness of it. I intend to rectify this soon. RIP Mark Hollis.)

+5. Blood Fire Death and/or Under the Sign of the Black Mark by Bathory/1988 + 1987 respectively (Kind of cheating here. If you pick this, feel free to pick one. But I will likely listen to both. These are some of the highest ranked and most revered metal albums as of yet unrated by me. I must have heard these surely but I cant remember much or anything about them. So yeah some of the most influential 80s metal albums are what is here for your choosing.)

6. Where the Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles/2008 (I am a huge fan of Mayer. Especially love his Continuum album and his live shows. Somehow I have never heard this live album - his highest rated record by far. Seeing him live was, again, amazing. This is peak Mayer in concert and I hear its stellar. This probably won't be chosen by you hip badasses, but I'm including it for consideration.)

7. I Could Live In Hope by Low/1994 (I love this album or I remember loving it. Its been awhile. I sampled it to see if I still liked it and I actually discovered I may love it now more than back in my early 20s. And after falling head over heels in love with their latest, HEY WHAT, i think going back to their beginnings is a smart and nourishing and emotional and smart move.)

8. Ask the Ages by Sonny Sharrock/1991 (I have a very VERY good feeling about this one. I think I am ready and primed to experience a truly transcendent avant garde modern jazz album. This just feels right, like with a melon, you can just tell. I hope I'm not overhyping this in my mind and setting myself up for a let down. I doubt it, I don't generally let that happen.)

9. Left Hand Path by Entombed/1990 (Bring on this absolutely classic and legendary Swedish death metal classic! I couple months ago I absolutely saw the light on Entombed's peers, Dismember, and their 1991 masterpiece Like an Ever Flowing Stream. At that time I meant to now delve into the works of Entombed... but I never did. I listened to the first few tracks of this album newly and thought it was cool but no Dismember and went back to them. Now I would like to give this one the time and TLC it deserves. I heard it awhile ago but I was not a DM fan at the time and I didn't love it just liked it.)

Pod vládou biče by !T.O.O.H.!/2002
(technical deathgrind death metal stuff that looks and sounds like it will be a fun brutal listen. Another one I've had my eye on for quite some time but have never pushed play on.)

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/26/2021 15:47
  • Post subject:
(1)

Oh Mercy by Bob Dylan
Ya this was good. Not peak Dylan or anything and it's the third album in a short time where the very 80s sounding cheesy saxophone bothers me a little, but overall like it a lot. Everything's Broken is a song I've known for a long time, but surprisingly it isn't the one I liked the most. Man in the Long Black Coat is the best, touching, poetic and beautiful ballad. I don't think I've heard a better electric Dylan ballad (from memory), it's truly excellent. The songs that followed that melancholic guitar-driven ballad prototype were mostly very good. Seems there's something to like in Dylan's 80s period after all. Not even the worst Dylan album I've heard (and I haven't heard any bad ones yet, I'm at about 10 listened). 7.5/10

(2)
Many good choices here, go with Pod vládou biče this time. I've heard it once I think, excellent but due a revisit. I'm much more familiar with the follow up Order and Punishment which is incredible.

(3)
Genre combinations

The Mothers of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Avant-prog + Blues)
Mother's Finest - Black Radio Won't Play This Record (Soul + Alternative Metal)
Plutonium 74 - Pasilasta Kallioon (Dub + Indietronica)
Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush (ECM Style Jazz + Drum n' Bass)
Jam City - Dream a Garden (Deconstructed Club + Sophisti-Pop)
Seefeel - Pure, Impure (Dub Techno + Dream Pop)
Archive - Controlling Crowds (Hip Hop + Progressive Rock)
Spectral Lore - III (Space Ambient + Dark Folk)
Archy Marshall - A New Place 2 Drown (Lofi Hip Hop + Downtempo)
Faust vs. Dalek - Derbe Respect, Alder (Hip Hop + Progressive Rock)

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/26/2021 17:59
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
(1)

Blue Banisters by Lana Del Rey
EyeKanFly is right, this isn't in the same league as Chemtrails. It's still an above average Lana album imo (out of the 5 I've heard), this singer songwriter style suits her much better than that "sad" "indie" thing she was doing 5-6 years ago. In fact if you'd told me in 2017 that Lana would do 3 albums in a row which are good to great I'd laugh my ass off, but it was indeed one of the great artist transformations of recent years. At least in my opinion, I know a lot of people liked her pre-2019 stuff too. Apart from stylistically maturing and making plain better songs, I've personally stopped caring about her often cringy and over the top lyrics which was a big issue (I guess it still is, but unlike Chief, I can ignore her high-class poetry if the music's as good as it has been recently). Listening to her doesn't make me feel like an average teenage white Twitter girl anymore Laughing The biggest highlight would probably be Arcadia with its wonderful strings and great second part. Nectar of the Gods + Living Legend is a great combo, a folky gem and a piano-driven ballad, both wonderful. Those two come right after just slightly worse, but still good cut Wildflower Wildfire. The worst thing is easily that interlude, it sounds like some random ass trap beat mixed with a fake Morricone composition. Another dud was If You Lie Down Next To Me with its soulless "lala"s and boring verses and chorus. Although that one's almost saved by the unexpectedly cool 30s big band outro. The weirdest cut has to be Dealer, it has Miles Kane on vocals and Lana's doing some Olivia Rodrigo-like wails, and I'm still not sure if any of it works, but at least it's entertaining and different. The album's too long at 1 hour, even though it sounds consistently lovely and lulls you into pleasant half sleep, so you kinda forget it's that long. Despite its missteps, it's still decent. High 7/10

Well put, Im still digesting the album but I think you sum up my own feelings nicely here Smile
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2021 18:21
  • Post subject:
1)

Lego My Ego by Mercury Rev
Yeah this was sort of predictable. I really, really like Deserter's Songs but MR's debut Yerself Is Steam just doesn't do it for me, and seeing as Lego My Ego is sort of a b-side companion to Yerself Is Steam, I figured I'd be lukewarm on it. And that's certainly the case. Lego My Ego is mostly demo/live/session versions of songs from the original album, and it's hard to say whether I prefer the Yerself Is Steam versions or not. They're all pretty similar and I guess that's a testament to Mercury Rev's quality: it doesn't diminish between live/lo-fi or studio versions.

One track I was particularly intrigued in though was track 2: "Shhh/Peaceful / Very Sleepy Rivers", the first part being a cover of Miles Davis from In a Silent Way, though only featured very briefly in this song. However, I think Mercury Rev very interestingly channeled Davis' jazz fusion/space music very well with the rest of the song "Very Sleepy Rivers". It's a really cool spacey shoegaze-inspired sort of jam session, and I think it's a great example of the later masterwork that Mercury Rev perfected on Deserter's Songs. It's this song alone which pushes this album from 2.5 to 3/5 territory.

2)

Black Radio Won't Play This Record by Mother's Finest
Some of those sound like sorta loose genre fusions but this one sound incredibly interesting, curious to see how it is.

3)
Gonna roll with NPR until that's done, and going to start rotating through other charts to fill out the remaining 10.
NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women:
114. Rumor Has It by Reba McEntire
148. The Mosaic Project by Terri Lyne Carrington *this marks the end of this chart!
Purplepash's top albums of the 1990s: *last pick!
24. Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs by Ministry
26. Guide to Better Living by Grinspoon
43. From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah by Nirvana (I don't love Nirvana but I do like their hits, which I assume a live album will provide en force)
46. Incesticide & 50. Hormoaning by Nirvana (there's a lot of overlap in the b-sides compilation and the EP)
59. Frizzle Fry by Primus
62. Sound As Ever by You Am I
65. Live Seeds by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
69. Kettle Whistle by Jane's Addiction
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2021 23:38
  • Post subject:

Pod Vládou Biče by !T.O.O.H.!

so... this was interesting somewhat. It was technical deathgrind stuff with some very unorthodox somewhat (I guess) unique and boundary-pushing avant garde-ish elements. The vocalist sounds like he is really quite unhinged and very unpredictable. The guitar riffs at times sound almost improvised, discordant, weird. Probably 40% of these riffs and passages really do kick ass. Maybe another 20% are at the very least interesting and the remaining 40% or so were just random sounding for the sake of being random and didn't create any emotional, mental, atmospheric effect.

The songs were not memorable particularly. The moments when they let loose and flexed their grind muscles I, naturally, was on board. That is a vibe and an emotional sentiment I can at least grab some hold of and it felt familiar enough (despite plenty of unorthodox things being peppered into even these somewhat straight forward grind bits) and tangible enough for me to feel something.

The drums... fuck me the way the drums sound is terrible and I didn't like it. Sounded flat, and like a discordant bell and the way they were mixed in the studio or recorded or whatever (I know nothing about this technical side of sound engineering or producing or whatever) was bad and I didn't personally like it. BUT the drums did give this album a distinctly disorienting vibe - or at least they MAJORLY contributed to the disorientation that every other part and sound and aspect had a hand in.

I can't say I loved this album. It was a fine. I gave it 3 on RYM. I suppose I'm glad I finally heard it. When it comes to truly hard to follow, avant death tech stuff, there is WAY more extreme stuff out there. I think Obscura by Gorguts is an album that was considerably more weird and unfollowable and abstract. But with that album I was blown away and it didn't feel like it was strange for the sake of it. Instead it sounded like the artists behind the music just were operating on a whole other plane than me and it was overwhelming and fascinating. Maybe its unfair to compare this to as great and revered a classic as Obscura... but yeah comparing this to that helped me somewhat pinpoint why this feel relatively flat.

Again, not bad, but no aspect of it was great. Certainly was strange and heavy and fast. Which is cool.
-------------------------

@EyeKanFly, I am a a bit of a completionist and seeing those last 2 NPR women's classics (both of which I've never heard) was my first thought for nomination... then I saw one of the albums that was the soundtrack of my age 11-13 years and on-and-off in the decades since... so instead I choose for you the wild ride that is...

Psalm 69: The Way To Succeed And The Wa...y Ministry

title track legit and actually frightened me when I was young. a little bit still, but not as intensely, Plus Butthole Surfers crossover! Plus thrash metal meets industrial and at least 3 moderately popular songs that got some air time in the mid to late 90s.

------------------------

Okay, I have decided what to do as a "gimmick" for my list, and that is simply no gimmick, no challenge and no forcing myself to listen to anything I'm not already majorly interested in and kind of in the bag for lol - so I simply have this big list of albums I want to hear and I roughly ranked em and then now I will at random grab 10 that seem like either really cool and up my alley or ones that I feel like an idiot for never listening to em. Here we go!
+ = this is the most recently added choice

1. Monuments to Thieves by His Hero is Gone/1996 (This is a classic crust punk album. I have had this ear marked for ages. I add it here now.)

2. Rear View Mirror by Townes Van Zandt/1993 (I used to idolize TVZ. Still love him. And this live album is a legendary release of his work. I have heard it but for some reason it never caught on with me when I was in the throes of TVZ listening. It's been over a decade and I really am interested in jumping back into this album)

3. Lanquidity by Sun Ra/1978 (A month ago I listened to a bit of this. I thought going into it that perhaps it would be a bit or a lot "beyond me" and maybe a bit too abstract for me to dig. Boy was I surprised to find that it kicks fucking ass! I want to jump back in and give this the time and attention it deserves at some point soon. Jazz Fusion of the coolest kind based off the 10 to 15 minutes I heard. And yes, this will be the first Sun ra album for me, friends, so that is a big deal.)

4. Mark Hollis by Mark Hollis/1998 (This is a shameful admission: I have never sat down - nor even stood up! - and listened to this album in one sitting - nor in one standing! I know I know how is this even admissible for someone that has Spirit of Eden high on his all time faves list? Idk. I have bit-and-pieced this album 1 or 2 times over the decade or so of awareness of it. I intend to rectify this soon. RIP Mark Hollis.)

5. Blood Fire Death and/or Under the Sign of the Black Mark by Bathory/1988 + 1987 respectively (Kind of cheating here. If you pick this, feel free to pick one. But I will likely listen to both. These are some of the highest ranked and most revered metal albums as of yet unrated by me. I must have heard these surely but I cant remember much or anything about them. So yeah some of the most influential 80s metal albums are what is here for your choosing.)

6. Where the Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles/2008 (I am a huge fan of Mayer. Especially love his Continuum album and his live shows. Somehow I have never heard this live album - his highest rated record by far. Seeing him live was, again, amazing. This is peak Mayer in concert and I hear its stellar. This probably won't be chosen by you hip badasses, but I'm including it for consideration.)

7. I Could Live In Hope by Low/1994 (I love this album or I remember loving it. Its been awhile. I sampled it to see if I still liked it and I actually discovered I may love it now more than back in my early 20s. And after falling head over heels in love with their latest, HEY WHAT, i think going back to their beginnings is a smart and nourishing and emotional and smart move.)

8. Ask the Ages by Sonny Sharrock/1991 (I have a very VERY good feeling about this one. I think I am ready and primed to experience a truly transcendent avant garde modern jazz album. This just feels right, like with a melon, you can just tell. I hope I'm not overhyping this in my mind and setting myself up for a let down. I doubt it, I don't generally let that happen.)

9. Left Hand Path by Entombed/1990 (Bring on this absolutely classic and legendary Swedish death metal classic! I couple months ago I absolutely saw the light on Entombed's peers, Dismember, and their 1991 masterpiece Like an Ever Flowing Stream. At that time I meant to now delve into the works of Entombed... but I never did. I listened to the first few tracks of this album newly and thought it was cool but no Dismember and went back to them. Now I would like to give this one the time and TLC it deserves. I heard it awhile ago but I was not a DM fan at the time and I didn't love it just liked it.)

+10. Goo by Sonic Youth/1990 (did a deep listening of their 80s work, never went ahead and turned the page to the 1990s. This is one I have heard but can't remember much about it. Will be cool to revisit now that I am such a fan of all their 80s stuff and LPs.)

• Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 10/28/2021 08:59
  • Post subject:

Burden Of Proof by Benny The Butcher

The beats and production were okay, but I didn't like the rapping. I think I've heard enough "I used to be a drug dealer and now I'm wealthy and one of the best rappers out there" albums to no longer find them very interesting unless they bring something with a slightly different flavour to the table (like Boldy James did with Manger on McNichols). But you know that's not my world, whereas OME rapping about aging, parenthood, and relationship problems is. But as I said at the start I did like the beats...enough to give it a mild 6.5/10.

I can't not pick Goo...one of my all time favourite albums by one of my all time favourite bands.

Goo by Sonic Youth

Top 63 Music Albums of 2020 by Tha1ChiefRocka (last pick)

3. Rattle by Wailin Storms
6. Tellusboutyourself by Yerin Baek
9. Healing Is A Miracle by Julianna Barwick
14. Royal Swan by Phoxjaw
15. Motherhood by No Joy
16. My Magic Dreams Have Lost Their Spell by Nick Storring
19. Blizzards by Nathan Fake
22. Sorry You Couldn't Make It by Swamp Dogg
23. Pink Elephant by Stand Atlantic
24. Black Line by Respire
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2021 11:47
  • Post subject:

By The Time I Get To Phoenix by Injury Reserve

I will write a review for this, but I wanted to jump in here and recommend Phoxjaw.

REVIEW (kinda):

I've only listened to it once, but I know that it'll take a a few to fully figure out what all is going on here. Clearly an album that is marked by grief and frustration in the modern world, "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" resembles a typical "hip hop" album about as much as I resemble Marie Antoinette. (So, only if the light catches it a certain way.)

Oh, and I've had a weird history with this group. Their previous album was not something that I was a fan of, and I haven't listened to that again after the first time a few years ago. I was a fan of their earlier mixtapes which were much more straightforward, and had more, well, rapping going on. So, with that in mind, this album, which features very little in the way of what would be called rapping in a traditional sense, would probably fare worse, right? I'm having better feelings about this album initially; I was more prepared for a fractured and experimental affair than last time. From the getgo, the production is the star here. And, it tends to remain that way throughout. The lyrics and vocals are more cryptic than ever, but the main themes and ideas still come through clearly. The samples that are used are routinely surprising and refreshing, and that final track with it's use of 'Here Come The Warm Jets' will likely be stuck in my head for the next few months. 'Knees' seems to be a track that most seem to be stating is the best thing on this album, and I'd have to say that it's probably my favorite track off of this album as well. Everything seems to come together more cohesively on that track than others.

Alright, I don't have that much more to say at this point, but I do want to drop a hot take or two.

The notion of an "experimental hip hop" has changed drastically since the 2010s. While the 90s & 00s can lay claim to works like Divine Styler, Dr. Octagon, Latyrx, Company Flow, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, Dalek, Deltron 3030, Madvillainy, and any number of Anticon releases, there's a huge shift taking place in what that means. As I've stated in other threads before, even the thought of trying to pin something down as "experimental" is generally a useless term that people just throw at something when it's not easy to categorize.

But, if the main thought is that an experimental artist defies genre conventions, let's use two of the most notable of the last decade with Death Grips & clipping, then what Injury Reserve is doing goes beyond just defying conventions and is actively creating new ones.

What this album does differently than all of the previously mentioned "experimental" albums, is that the MC, who was once the center of attention, is now relegated to a completely different role. For a forty minute hip hop album this has to have one of the lowest word counts (and unique word counts) of a hip hop album that is not considered to be instrumental. Even instrumental hip hop might have as much to say with sampled vocals. Even with those contemporary artists, Death Grips & clipping, the MC is still the focal point of most of the compositions. Rarely does that happen here. The lyrics and vocals are so obfuscated and repetitious at times that they become just another part of the mix. Which is not something that is new, but I don't feel that has ever been taken to the degree that it has here.

OK, rambling is getting overlong, so I'm giving myself the ol' shepherd's hook.

G_d's Pee at State's End- GY!BE
Donda- Kanye West
Daddy's Home- St Vincent
Happier Than Ever- Billie Eilish (now y'all just trippin')
A Beginner's Mind- Sufjan Stevens & whocares
Roadrunner- Brockhampton
Sinner Get Ready- Lingua Ignota
Pressure Machine- The Killers (now we're just getting into meme territory)
New Long Leg- Dry Cleaning
An Overview On Phenomenal Nature- Cassandra Jenkins
A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar Equals- Sweet Trip

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 10/29/2021 03:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2021 17:00
  • Post subject:
1)

Psalm 69: The Way To Succeed And The Wa...y Ministry
I was initially skeptical over the industrial metal genre tag on this one. While I enjoy most early-mid 80s industrial music (metal or otherwise), some late 80s/90s bands like Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson have never really appealed to me. And interestingly I tend to like industrial experimental music a lot but just couldn't get into NIN or Manson.

Ministry is a little different though, and leans a bit more into the metal than the industrial. To some degree Ministry are a little more similar to European martial industrial bands like Laibach or Rammstein. And I like that sound. I also really like the fusion of rockabilly/psychobilly that Ministry have woven into Psalm 69. It also reminds me a lot of some video game music from epic series like Doom or Command & Conquer. 3.5/5

This is probably a 90s album I'll return to. Thanks Purplepash for lending me your chart, I'm moving onto another chart now but I've shortlisted some of your picks for my wishlist.

2)

New Long Leg by Dry Cleaning
Let's go with this since it's a little less same-old-same-old compared to most of the other artists' projects in our 2021 list.

3)
Gonna roll with NPR until that's done, and going to start rotating through other charts to fill out the remaining 10.
NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women:
114. Rumor Has It by Reba McEntire
148. The Mosaic Project by Terri Lyne Carrington *this marks the end of this chart!
Mercury's top albums of the 1990s
1. Like an Ever Flowing Stream by Dismember
11. ...And Out Come the Wolves by Rancid
13. NOLA by Down
15. Revival by Gillian Welch
19. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor
34. Obscura by Gorguts
35. Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah by James Booker
38. Moment of Truth by Gang Starr
I've opted for Mercury's chart both because you picked the last selection from Purplepash's chart and also because your 90s chart is big on a few genres that I don't listen to as much, particularly metal and folk/country/blues (or some fusion thereof), so I'm looking forward to that.
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2021 20:53
  • Post subject:
@EyeKanFly, appreciate you picking my chart. As is the case with every time someone zeros in on one of my charts, I got anal about it and went and updated it. So it’s mostly the same, but some albums moved higher and some went lower and maybe 10 were added and thus 10 taken off.

• Visit poster's website