Why do you think there are less women in music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/21/2018 21:25
  • Post subject: Re: Why do you think there are less women in music?
dividesbyzero wrote:
what in the actual fuck are you on about

there are myriad reasons for the underrepresentation of women in the art world and they all have to do with misogynistic hegemonies of power that have long underscored societal structures, denying women means, access, visibility, and often the base dignity of being taken seriously. FOH with this ahistorical Jordan Peterson-ass "biologically predisposed to not make art due to childbearing" bullshit

edit: ok sorry re-reading your post it sounds more like you're just suggesting that this is a thing that people think and not so much what you yourself are advocating. My b

No that quote is a trip. don't even discuss stuff like that. Its sexist.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/30/2018 07:50
  • Post subject:
Two smooches for re-introducing "Hegemony" to the forums. I miss Kiki
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 07/07/2018 07:02
  • Post subject:
Pretty old topic, but sometimes I hold interest in this sort of discussion (though not on here as the users probably don't have any nuance in their views what so ever).

Before anyone actually answers the question, I'm surprised no one asked for empirical evidence on this subject. It's the foundational thing to actually establish if the premise is true, but even before that, I think an explanation of "less women in music" is required to begin with.

There are dozens of aspects of music creation from the songwriters themselves to the sound engineers to the people who work at the record companies. Depending on what you mean, there could be a significantly disparate explanation and understanding as to how it operates. This is extremely important as the premise as is remains vague and is hard to answer.

Back to the evidence portion of it. I think it's safe to assume the premise is true, but I think it's necessary to understand the disparity of representation as well as what data we want to parse for it. For ex. there may be a significant difference in male vs. female numbers as musicians, but the difference in average chart placings not so much. I'm not saying this is the case, but depending on the data set we utilize, we can come up with significantly disparate numbers. If by representation we mean "number of women working as a unit of a band" that's one thing, but if we mean "number of women working at record stores", it's another and influences the data immensely.

Now, I don't have any conclusions as far as this goes, but I just wanted to point out how vague you made your question and premise actually makes it significantly more difficult to answer.

EDIT: Also, the data set we use may influence whether the premise is true or not to begin with. Hypothetically, if number of women working as employees in record stores or companies is more than males, but number of male musicians is significantly higher, how exactly does that influence the truth of the premise? There are so many more factors to this as well, but it's important we actually quantify everything (which is why "everything is sexist" is such a terrible answer because it's not quantifiable as to the determine its influence on the data. Well, also, it's probably just not a significant influence, though probably is one, but I know saying that will get me crucified here. I also believe it lacks nuance as an answer and only people who are intellectually lazy will actually use it as a response).
  • Visit poster's website
Pronouns

United States

• Posted: 07/14/2018 07:02
  • Post subject:
Not going to lie, I was thinking about this the other day and it really got me thinking. Glad this exists.

I don't think I have anything to contribute or discuss too much...but I got to thinking on how much (in terms of music fans) of how much of a sausage fest it is...at least in my own personal experience. The closest thing I could relate it to was the comic book community. That community is undeniably "guy" centered and while arguably more women have gotten into it its obviously marketed towards guys. Again, comic books, not comic book based media. I started to wonder if music is marketed in a way similar to comic books but I didn't go anywhere with the idea.

In terms of musicians, I still have to sit on this one. I don't want to say something that isn't educated but this is clearly a topic I should keep an eye on. Should be interesting if this thread progresses.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 07/14/2018 11:23
  • Post subject: Re: Why do you think there are less women in music?
hm that's quite a few words temporary33 wrote up there but I'm gonna practice radical self-care and read zero of them because any time I've read anything a gamergator has had to say about women in any context I've become just a bit less enthusiastic about the idea of "people" as a concept

YoungPunk wrote:
dividesbyzero wrote:
what in the actual fuck are you on about

there are myriad reasons for the underrepresentation of women in the art world and they all have to do with misogynistic hegemonies of power that have long underscored societal structures, denying women means, access, visibility, and often the base dignity of being taken seriously. FOH with this ahistorical Jordan Peterson-ass "biologically predisposed to not make art due to childbearing" bullshit

edit: ok sorry re-reading your post it sounds more like you're just suggesting that this is a thing that people think and not so much what you yourself are advocating. My b

No that quote is a trip. don't even discuss stuff like that. Its sexist.

oh yeah no totally it is, I just don't think OP was actually advocating it so much as just acknowledging the unfortunate reality that that is a thing that far too many people believe. if however that actually is something that OP believes then yeah fuck outta here b
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2018 03:48
  • Post subject:
lol yr not missing much in temporary33's post, a bunch of stuff about how we need evidence before we can begin to answer this question, and then without evidence they say it probably isn't sexism.
  • Visit poster's website
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 07/06/2019 09:00
  • Post subject: Women
I think there a good musicians that are women, but it has to do with a Stigma that a Woman Can not be so productive as a man. Music industry is a Hard Business and only The one WHO fighte will get a Chance. And by The way women Can get pregnant and Then The plan will change. But i have Full respect of those WHO Can have a career and have Kids.
  • Visit poster's website
1d410Arthur

• Posted: 04/20/2020 21:35
  • Post subject:
I do not agree with the premise of this topic
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 11/16/2021 00:33
  • Post subject:
1d410Arthur wrote:
I do not agree with the premise of this topic

I agree. I first would want to see any statistics on this idea that women are making less music. I don't think it's true, and I think the fact that it doesn't seem that way for many people is very telling.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 11/16/2021 23:42
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Females are making music, they just don't perform it.

If they are not performing it, how are they making it?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. It was once addressed at a forum that I was eventually banned from why there are not more African American singers in country music. Those who were trying to make the music look racist of course are who started the conversation. Me being me, I didn't hesitate to point out that in order for there to be more African American singers in country music, they themselves have to be interested enough in the music first in order for there to be more African American singers in country music which pretty much leaves me with this question: Are enough females still taking enough interest in music at all period? I ask this because that right there is where it all begins.

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website