I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2021 05:10
  • Post subject: Thought's on Let It Be by The Beatles

Let It Be by The Beatles

Let It Be... Naked by The Beatles

And this years "super deluxe" release:
[url]https://open.spotify.com/album/1BdxbYp1...SUp39N1ySw[/url]

Here's a thread to discuss thoughts about the album/project.

Things I learned and didn't know. They were intending to write a new album in 2-4 weeks time (or something) and have the process filmed. I only knew the last half of that. 2-4 weeks to write a full album is insane. And then to add a film crew to the mix. And then at the end of it all, give a 2 day concert... something they had stopped doing. It's like completely out of their element from where they came from previously. Although, I believe that sounds a lot like Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies. Another being they would switch up instruments, etc.

Quote:

The initial plan was that the rehearsal footage would be edited into a short TV documentary promoting the main TV special, in which the Beatles would perform a public concert or perhaps two concerts.[10][12] Michael Lindsay-Hogg had agreed to direct the project, having worked with the band on some of their promotional films.[10] The project's timeline was dictated by Harrison being away in the United States until Christmas and Starr's commitment to begin filming his role in The Magic Christian in February 1969.[13] The band intended to perform only new material and were therefore under pressure to finish writing an album's worth of songs.[14] Although the concert venue was not established when rehearsals began on 2 January,[15] it was decided that the 18th would serve as a potential dress rehearsal day; the 19th and 20th would serve as concert dates.[16]

Also I've always hated the original release of The Long and Winding Road. It was mega sappy to me. Turns out, I actually liked the Let It Be... Naked release of the track, which strips out the Phil Spector treatment. What I didn't know is that Paul also hated it. Fitting.

Quote:
When the documentary project was resurrected for a cinema release, as Let It Be, Lennon and Harrison asked American producer Phil Spector to assemble the accompanying album. Among Spector's changes was to include a 1968 take of "Across the Universe" and apply orchestral and choral overdubs to four tracks. His work offended McCartney, particularly in the case of "The Long and Winding Road". In 2003, McCartney spearheaded Let It Be... Naked, an alternative version of Let It Be that removes Spector's embellishments.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 12/04/2021 12:17
  • Post subject:
I'm trying to love Let it be..naked, but I was raised with the strings and horns of the original, so... I've just listened to both again. Naked is delicate for sure, Let it be is like a pocket gospel, Across the universe is low-fi again. But The Long and Winding Road is a bit flat. And in the end I prefer the original album. For example, I love the nursery rhyme Across the universe being taken to Broadway! I wouldn't have been so fond of these three songs without the Spector pomp, at least back then, as a child.

About the new documentary, like most of us, I was totally surprised by the trailer. Shows the power of a point of view... Altough I remember a little passage in the Anthology film where we could see Mc Cartney and Lennon on that roof-top, between two takes, singing a old standard tune and laughing together. I remember saying to myself: "eh, they were still getting on so well!"

Lastly, the roof-top concert...Forever cool. Made a big impression on me as a child. It was such a good idea.
  • Visit poster's website
lleon79

Mexico

• Posted: 12/04/2021 15:36
  • Post subject:
I was also raised with the strings and added things, so when my older brother would play Let It Be... Naked, I would immediately feel like something was clearly off. I just watched "The Beatles: Get Back" and it was until then that I could finally appreciate the "Naked" release. I've been listening to it these past couple of days. I still like the original, but now they can both co-exist in my brain.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/05/2021 17:21
  • Post subject:
I slightly prefer Naked but neither version is really up to their own sky high standards. The songs are as great as ever, but the performances…nah. Daubing some strings on top was never going to fix it up. It remains a set of demos. I do still enjoy the album in either version though and “Two of us” is a lovely, understated standout.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/05/2021 18:25
  • Post subject:
Yesterday I listened to the 3 versions of Across The Universe; the Let It Be one, the Let It Be Naked one and the Past Masters one (clearly my favorite). Just a coincidence.

- Ever since I heard Naked for the first time, I never really had the desire to replay the original one, and when I just heard some tunes of it out of shuffle or curiosity, it proved my point further.
- The original, in comparison to Naked and especially other Beatles lp's, has an ambitiously weak track-sequencing (do I even have to explain?).
- The difference in songs are Dig It (kind of filler but fine filler) and Maggie Mae (a superfun jammy song) from the original, and Don't Let Me Down (nicely written pop tune with a subtle jazz-funk flair to it) from Naked.
- Rarely has small conversation interludes felt so colourless as the original has. There is none of that on Naked.
- The versions on Naked, especially Long And Winding Road, towers above the original. I remember poppmusic said "Yeah, I wish they had used the orginal version. The excess orchestration almost sounds like Spector and Lennon are mocking McCartney's melodramtic tendencies. The original version stands as a 70s classic" and although the original is still very great, it's clear that Naked's version is more genuine.
- I like slow music (and slowcore) but the original's Across The Universe is way too slow for its own good. The Naked one is more heartfelt with the straight guitar and higher pacing - but again, the Past Masters bests both of them easily imo.

There are a couple more points, but I hope I made myself clear to why I think Naked is superior in nearly every way. Cause the song Let It Be is the only song where the original is the greater version. Maaaaybe I've Got A Feeling on the sunniest day.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2021 11:16
  • Post subject:
I can't say I'm especially keen on admitting it, but I really like the brand-spankin' new Giles Martin remix on the 50th Anniversary Whizbang Super Deluxe "Oh no we're definitely not just milking the fans for more cash" reissue. Best version yet, if you ask me — I even sat and listened to the whole thing this time. I almost never do that with reissues!

I'm still not going to subscribe to Disney Plus, though. Some lines must never be crossed.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/07/2021 13:48
  • Post subject:
lleon79 wrote:
I was also raised with the strings and added things, so when my older brother would play Let It Be... Naked, I would immediately feel like something was clearly off. I just watched "The Beatles: Get Back" and it was until then that I could finally appreciate the "Naked" release.

I'm looking forward to giving Get Back a watch, but I'm booked this month Brick wall. Hoping to get onto it in the new year. Response is glowing, and I'm genuinely interested in the footage. Glad the project exists.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 12/09/2021 22:12
  • Post subject:
Yet to see Get Back. I don't have Disney+, but I'll probably get it just for that.

As to the album - it's very messy, easily their messiest record (even above The White Album - which is actually my favourite Beatles record). I also think it's their least consistent since the early years, and possibly their least consistent overall, but I'm not sure. Still got some absolute gems on it, of course. The Fabs were still in top form and the lack of consistency is more to do with where the band was at than their skills as songwriters waning.

I don't mind Spector's production, but it can overwhelm some of the songs. Not sure about the strings on The Long and Winding Road or Let It Be, and I absolutely loathe the chorused guitar on Across the Universe, which is otherwise one of my favourite Beatles songs. I think a good blend of the "Naked" versions with the best of the Spector arrangements would be a really interesting album to hear.
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/17/2021 07:52
  • Post subject:
Woah, just finished the Get Back documentary and its blown my freakin’ mind. I feel like we’ll be talking about this documentary for years. There’s just so many fascinating moments to reflect on ( just looked at a couple of particularly strong articles from the Guardian and the Ringer, the film is a gift of epic proportions to anyone who wants to write anything about the Beatles).

It makes me love the Beatles more than ever, which I never imagined. Sure, its a bit exhausting and there are dull moments, but it all ends up totally worthwhile.

I read somewhere that the film even transcends the Beatles and captures what is great about making music like nothing previously! I know people get sick of this kind of lavish praise about the Beatles but that is honestly how I feel right now. It’s a beautiful depiction of music making and Ive never seen anything like it. Somehow seeing “Get Back” itself take shape is so dramatic, joyful and insightful. I prefer this journey to the one Peter Jackson took us on in LOTRs!!

I don't want to mention specific moments just yet to avoid spoilers (but there so many I want to!) Damn this is going to rattling round my head and making me smile for days (and weeks) to come.

Sorry for the Beatles PR exercise, but this was the most exciting thing to happen to my musical world in 2021.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/17/2021 16:16
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Woah, just finished the Get Back documentary and its blown my freakin’ mind. I feel like we’ll be talking about this documentary for years. There’s just so many fascinating moments to reflect on ( just looked at a couple of particularly strong articles from the Guardian and the Ringer, the film is a gift of epic proportions to anyone who wants to write anything about the Beatles).

It makes me love the Beatles more than ever, which I never imagined. Sure, its a bit exhausting and there are dull moments, but it all ends up totally worthwhile.

I read somewhere that the film even transcends the Beatles and captures what is great about making music like nothing previously! I know people get sick of this kind of lavish praise about the Beatles but that is honestly how I feel right now. It’s a beautiful depiction of music making and Ive never seen anything like it. Somehow seeing “Get Back” itself take shape is so dramatic, joyful and insightful. I prefer this journey to the one Peter Jackson took us on in LOTRs!!

I don't want to mention specific moments just yet to avoid spoilers (but there so many I want to!) Damn this is going to rattling round my head and making me smile for days (and weeks) to come.

Sorry for the Beatles PR exercise, but this was the most exciting thing to happen to my musical world in 2021.

I watched P1 last week, thought it as excellent. It really is some phenomenal footage— and like you said, just a great doc of a band in the music making process, Beatles or not. Hoping to get around to the rest soon.
  • Visit poster's website