Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2021 17:04
  • Post subject:
ledaero wrote:

Heaux Tales by Jazmine Sullivan

2021 is already off to a great start. Another stellar album out, Jazmine Sullivan's Heaux Tales. Gorgeous R&B material. Lost One is one of the best tracks I've heard in a little while.

^Pulled from January 11th, seems like my post was the only post about the record in the forum.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2021 19:54
  • Post subject:
When I saw Heaux Tales #1, I was … surprised and it’s so strange and I disagree so much, I don’t know how to process that. Like, … what?!!?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2021 23:38
  • Post subject:
While it's not my AOTY, I can understand why they chose it. However, I am wondering if it is unprecedented for a record promoted as an EP to top a year-end list.

I think some of the bafflement (not referring to this thread exclusively) is coming from the fact that there aren't many fans of straight-up r&b in online music nerd communities for some reason........................................................... Think Think Think

There are fans of classic soul, funk, and alternative r&b, but there's a big disconnect from mainstream contemporary r&b in these circles.
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/08/2021 07:56
  • Post subject:
Quickly glancing at the cross-section, I can see Promises also doing very well. Maybe it is doing the best on aggregate d'oh! I thought Sometimes I might be Introvert would be doing a bit better (though it is still topping some lists).
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/08/2021 08:39
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Quickly glancing at the cross-section, I can see Promises also doing very well. Maybe it is doing the best on aggregate d'oh! I thought Sometimes I might be Introvert would be doing a bit better (though it is still topping some lists).

Lol just checked aggregate site AOTY and Little Simz is in fact top at the moment. Promises coming in second though. A good result for Jazz!
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2021 14:06
  • Post subject:
Looking through various critics' best of 2021 charts, and NPR selected this as their AotY:

Deja by Bomba Estéreo

Probably the only AotY from any American publication I've seen that I haven't even heard of. Well I listened, and it's great. Can totally see why NPR selected it. Highly recommend.

And I mostly agree with Heaux Tales. I enjoyed it but I think it'll remain outside my top 100 for the year. Agreed that I'm pleasantly surprised, haven't seen more standard R&B top the charts since the 90s/early 00s IIRC
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/08/2021 15:33
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Looking through various critics' best of 2021 charts, and NPR selected this as their AotY:
Deja by Bomba Estéreo

.... Think ... did... they? I have NPR agreeing with P4k and naming Heaux Tales #1.

Quote:
Promises coming in second though. A good result for Jazz!

I've been seeing this come up a lot this week, and it's baffling me. I had no idea people widely considered Promises 'jazz'. Not to be a genre-snob, but I don't see it as anything but post-minimalism/ambient. I think it even leans towards classical before jazz. (Not that this matters, genre tags are getting more bizarre by the day).
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2021 16:32
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Deja by Bomba Estéreo

.... Think ... did... they? I have NPR agreeing with P4k and naming Heaux Tales #1.

Quote:
Promises coming in second though. A good result for Jazz!

I've been seeing this come up a lot this week, and it's baffling me. I had no idea people widely considered Promises 'jazz'. Not to be a genre-snob, but I don't see it as anything but post-minimalism/ambient. I think it even leans towards classical before jazz. (Not that this matters, genre tags are getting more bizarre by the day).

My bad, Bomba Estéreo was New York Times' #1. NYT had 3 critics write their lists separately from each other, the only common ground between the 3 were Tyler, the Creator and Olivia Rodrigo. None of the 3's #1s were featured in either of the others' top 10. (the other 2 were Adele and When Smoke Rises by Mustafa, the latter of which I need to get to as well but I've at least heard of).

I must have mixed up NPR and NYT, generally I hold NPR in much higher regard, as NYT's music critics can vary wildly in quality from year-to-year.

Regarding Promises, it features one of the most prominent living jazz musicians. Whether or not the genre is best described as "jazz", it certainly features jazz elements and could even be seen as a gateway between classical, ambient, and jazz. For those reasons I'd still be inclined to agree with theblueboy that this is a "good result for jazz".
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/08/2021 16:48
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

My bad, Bomba Estéreo was New York Times' #1. NYT had 3 critics write their lists separately from each other, the only common ground between the 3 were Tyler, the Creator and Olivia Rodrigo. None of the 3's #1s were featured in either of the others' top 10. (the other 2 were Adele and When Smoke Rises by Mustafa, the latter of which I need to get to as well but I've at least heard of).

Regarding Promises, it features one of the most prominent living jazz musicians. Whether or not the genre is best described as "jazz", it certainly features jazz elements and could even be seen as a gateway between classical, ambient, and jazz. For those reasons I'd still be inclined to agree with theblueboy that this is a "good result for jazz".

Ah, that'd be it. Was wondering why I couldn't figure out where you found that (wasn't looking at publications with multiple lists). Mon Laferte's record on that list is also worth giving a spin.

And I suppose (compared to the past 40-ish years) Sanders having a year-best-landing record is something for 'jazz'. Wasn't on my bingo sheet at the beginning of the year.

I've found that jazz (a bit more full-fledged, less experimental) has had a fantastic resurgence the past five years. 2021 definitely had a decent handful of jazz records released at a steady pace all throughout the year. I just never really considered Promises under that umbrella. All good though, I get it, just surprised on how many people seem to be jumping to 'a good showing for jazz' rather than classical/minimal/ambient, which also don't particularly get great traction from mainstream publications.

Genre-pointing-out-wise, I thought 2021 was one of the best showcases of post-punk in a very long time. Especially out of the UK.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/08/2021 17:41
  • Post subject:
Yeah, good points by one and all. Fair to to say that Promises is a fusion of genres. I guess I just found Sanders’ playing the most central and interesting part. It’s not not jazz anyway Laughing

I suspect this album will be a keeper. The album was trending on BEA today. Probably due to appearing a lot on critics lists.

In other news, I thought OK Human would be doing better on these here lists.