What are you reading lately?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/06/2021 07:34
  • Post subject:
Some really interesting choices all round on this thread Smile RFBJ’s epic effort is making me realise I’ve not read a Stephen King novel in decades. The Green Mile is on my to read list. I’ve never even seen the film.

Im listening to uber best seller Where The Crawdad’s Sing at the moment. It’s very good crime/romance/ period drama all rolled together. It’s very much genre based rather than literary fiction-but written to a sky high standard. I’m finding it immensely enjoyable.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/07/2021 14:53
  • Post subject:
Been reading Nileism: The Strange Course of The Blue Nile by Allan Brown, which is one of the best-written, most evocative, most principled rock biographies I’ve ever come across. Worth picking up if you ever see it.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/09/2021 04:14
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Been reading Nileism: The Strange Course of The Blue Nile by Allan Brown, which is one of the best-written, most evocative, most principled rock biographies I’ve ever come across. Worth picking up if you ever see it.

That sounds great. I need to write a review for "Hats" soon. Such a wonderful album.

Students and I are currently reading "The Diary of Anne Frank"; play version

+

"The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie.
  • Visit poster's website
lleon79

Mexico

• Posted: 12/04/2021 15:41
  • Post subject:
Been reading "La región más transparente" (Where the Air is Clear) by Mexican author Carlos Fuentes, though I've been at it at a very slow pace. In the meanwhile I devoured in two days "Zen in the Art of Writing" by Ray Bradbury.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/05/2021 11:25
  • Post subject:
I get through quite a bit of non-fiction. Currently reading Essentialism by Greg McKeown
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/13/2021 18:30
  • Post subject:
Storyteller by Dave Grohl. Read by the man himself. I’m not really the biggest Foos fan but this was an enjoyable listen. Grohl spins a good yarn and he’s led quite the life. By the end, the excessive bonhomie starts to wear thin but overall Dave Grohl is good company and does a fine job of strapping us into the passenger seat of his epic rock star life.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2021 22:16
  • Post subject:
I managed to get through a few books while on vacation recently, and have a few lined up for train trips during the holidays:

Finished Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie S. Gaude, Jr. This was one of the best nonfiction books I've read in the past 5 years or so. Gaude is an incredible researcher, and an even better writer. Every single sentence in this book is meaningful and thought provoking. It's part biography of Baldwin, part memoir of the current (~2 years ago) political landscape of the US, and parallels between the two. Would recommend to anyone who's ever read Baldwin, and anyone who is trying to educate themselves about race and politics in America.

Then a little lighter with Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. Loved his more recent A Gentleman in Moscow, this wasn't as good but still a very pleasant, easy to get through read.

Since I saw rockbluesfolkjaz's wonderful list, I'll throw out a few of my favorite books I've read the past few years:

• The Deportees and Other Stories by Roddy Doyle (fiction): Short stories about immigrants to Ireland & non-white Irishborn. If you haven't ready Roddy Doyle, I HIGHLY recommend The Commitments. One of the short stories in this book features characters from The Commitments.
  • Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond (non-fiction): follows impoverished Milwaukee families as they struggle to pay rent, and makes a case for policy to address poverty and eviction
  • 2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino (fiction): A story of an eccentric 9 year old, her art teacher, and the owner of a jazz club in Philadelphia and how their lives intersect on Christmas Eve Eve. This one is very funny, the eccentric 9 year old in particular is one of the funniest characters I've ever read.
  • Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (fiction): Interlinking stories of a dozen New Yorkers all somehow connected on the day a tightrope walker walked between the Twin Towers in 1974
  • The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (fiction): In an alternate history where a Yiddish-speaking Jewish refugee state was created in Alaska, detective Landsman investigates a murder and uncovers a conspiracy
  • The Ensemble by Aja Gabel (fiction): Jana, Brit, Henry, and Daniel are a String Quartet, the story weaves through their lives over the course of their career from 1992 to 2010. This is one of my favorite books I've ever read, I think I have a particular affinity because I played cello at one point, but I'd recommend this to anyone who has an interest in classical or string music.
  • The Architect's Apprentice by Elif Shafak (fiction): Jahan and his elephant Chota assist Mimar Sinan, grand architect of the Ottoman Empire, in designing and constructing his greatest works
  • Something Great and Beautiful by Enrico Pellegrini (fiction): A young Italian man comes to New York to pursue a girl and ends up starting a foccacia empire and becoming involved in the 2008 financial crisis. This one is very funny.

BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 01/19/2022 00:32
  • Post subject:
Drifting between Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Empire, Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City, and Douglas C. McMurtrie's The Book: The Story of Printing and Bookmaking
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/14/2022 11:14
  • Post subject:
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susannah Clarke. It’s basically genius.
Helios

Chile

• Posted: 02/17/2022 22:28
  • Post subject:
Robot Dreams (Asimov), Starship Troopers (Heinlein) and the Silmarilion (Tolkien). When I get tired of read one, I get one of the others Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website