Get To Know A Top 10: January 2022 Thread - Jameth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson
20%
 20%  [3]
Shahen-Shah by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
0%
 0%  [0]
Les Dragons by Ninki-Nanka
0%
 0%  [0]
Ege Bamyasi by Can
13%
 13%  [2]
The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus
60%
 60%  [9]
Gris-Gris by Dr. John
6%
 6%  [1]
The River by Ali Farka Touré
0%
 0%  [0]
Drums Of Passion by Olatunji
0%
 0%  [0]
Machine Gun by Peter Brötzmann
0%
 0%  [0]
In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic by Kasai Allstars
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 15

LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/13/2022 09:59
  • Post subject:
guzguzgarbit wrote:

I've done some search myself and I've found this quite comprehensive book by Margit Smith who made the album:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RezsYS...57wAj/view

It appears to have been recorded in July 1993 on tape before being released on CD in 2011 in France.

You can find more recordings here: https://mycampus.maine.edu/web/uc-libra...mande-kora
Great stuff, thanks guzguzgarbit. It's nice to have some background on Ninki Nanka.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/13/2022 13:08
  • Post subject:
guzguzgarbit wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:

On another note, could anyone provide me with ANY information about the album Les Dragons or the artist Ninki-Nanka? The album's on streaming services so I was able to listen, but I absolutely cannot find any information about the album or artist whatsoever. All online searches either lead me to spotify/apple music/etc. or... here. Any background info about the music is much appreciated!

I've done some search myself and I've found this quite comprehensive book by Margit Smith who made the album:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RezsYS...57wAj/view

It appears to have been recorded in July 1993 on tape before being released on CD in 2011 in France.

You can find more recordings here: https://mycampus.maine.edu/web/uc-libra...mande-kora

Wow, great find, this is awesome! Seems Smith was quite the researcher in addition to a musician herself, this is going to be a fun rabbit hole for me to delve into today.
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/13/2022 21:08
  • Post subject:
The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
Well, not much to say, I talked about it in my diary a few months ago, nothing changed in the meantime, it remains an absolute masterpiece. The fact that I like some other Mingus records slightly more speaks volumes about the depth of this man’s discography and shouldn’t take anything away from its greatness. I can’t imagine any other album in this list coming anywhere close to surpassing it as my #1.

1. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
2. Olatunji - Drums of Passion
3. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
4. Ali Farka Touré - The River
5. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
6. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/13/2022 21:24
  • Post subject:
(For some unknown reason, I thought Ege Bamyasi was #2 instead of #4, so I mixed up the order, whatever.)
Les Dragons

Not only was this a new album for me, I totally ignored its existence – obviously same goes for the artist - until now. This list is far from mainstream, but Les Dragons reaches new levels of obscurity even in this particular context. I mean, completely escaping the public eye in the information age is quite something. Of course guzguzgarbit’s contribution is great and much appreciated, I intend to check it out at some point. I’ ll probably have to listen to this at least a couple of times more to get a grasp on what’s going on, but my first impression is definitely a positive one, the potential is there, that's for sure.

3. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
6. Ninki-Nanka - Les Dragons
7. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/13/2022 22:08
  • Post subject:
Shahen-Shah
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is an artist I’ve listened before, yet I’ve never found an album of his that really appeals to me. When it comes to this one, I find it too overwhelming. I can easily enjoy a song or two, but I don’t buy the atmosphere and the concept – even though I massively respect it - , so after a while it becomes exhaustive, the power of repetition doesn’t work in this case, give me a break.

3. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
6. Ninki-Nanka - Les Dragons
7. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shahen-Shah
8. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/15/2022 21:22
  • Post subject:
Ege Bamyasi
Yeah, even though I tend to underrate Ege Bamyasi – both in general and in comparison to other Can albums - I can't deny its greatness. You know the story, as soon as the ‘70s kicked in, rock music was already growing old and Can were one of the bands that decisively and spectacularly contributed to breathing new life into it. The direction they took here isn’t exactly my favourite, but they deserve credit for combining their trademark style with a more accessible approach. That’s more evident than ever in the wonderful pop song that is Vitamin C, who would have thought.

3. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
4. Can - Ege Bamyasi
5. Ali Farka Touré - The River
6. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
7. Ninki-Nanka - Les Dragons
8. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shahen-Shah
9. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/15/2022 21:46
  • Post subject:
In The Court Of The Crimson King
Funnily enough, this is the opposite of the previous album, meaning that I’m not a fan of its genre (progressive rock) on general principle, but this particular record is one of the very few exceptions and I would rank it higher than anything I’ve heard by the usual suspects of Yes/Genesis/Pink Floyd. In fact, I wish more prog was like this. Ever since I discovered the opening track (thanks Kanye), it became an instant favourite, possibly the greatest discography-opener ever in my opinion. What’s even more impressive, though, is how effortlessly the album flows. 21st Century Schizoid Man and its jazzy frenzy give way to the calm and beautiful I Talk to the Wind, it’s so elegant it feels like listening to classical music. Both Epitaph and The Court of the Crimson King are cinematically epic and tragic, the album reaches a breathtaking climax. Of course I skipped one track, as I never quite understood what’s going on with Moonchild and that’s what keeps me from ranking this album even higher.

3. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
4. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
5. Can - Ege Bamyasi
6. Ali Farka Touré - The River
7. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
8. Ninki-Nanka - Les Dragons
9. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shahen-Shah
10. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 01/18/2022 03:01
  • Post subject:
Machine Gun. This was awesome. At some points it sounds like pure noise, but I like Merzbow and harsh noise in general so that didn't bother me. I liked how there were occasional bursts where it went into a more traditional jazz ensemble feel, with a proper melody and everything. Definitely one of my favourites of the list so far.
guzguzgarbit
Book Of Noraia

France

• Posted: 01/19/2022 11:35
  • Post subject:
Love that top 10 and this whole chart.
The underlying pattern for me is how well those albums were recorded and mixed. The nature of their sounds is both crisp and yet very organic. Those albums all care for, I think, the special relation between the instruments making the music and how they are actually listened to. It's as if you were in the room of the record. In a sense, it gives intemporality to that music.

Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Dr. John, The Night Tripper - Gris-Gris
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Ninki-Nanka - Les Dragons
Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
Olatunji! - Drums of Passion
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shahen-Shah
The Peter Brötzmann Octet - Machine Gun
Ali Farka Toure - The River

my ranking's pretty lame I kno.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/22/2022 14:28
  • Post subject:
Kasai Allstars
It's a fun, psychedelic tradi-modern journey. Nothing too special for me though, Congotronics series has better records imo.

Peter Brötzmann
A wild, wild album. Free jazz at its most chaotic (possibly), the ground zero of European free jazz AND it has a clarinet.

Dr. John
Best new album. A great, weird, freak-folky R&B/rock/pop/soul mix. Not a bad track in sight, an instant favourite. I've seen this album before, but never heard anything specific about it or Dr. John, except that it was an avantgarde-ish take on popular music of the time. Complete surprise, had no expectations going into this. AND IT'S FROM 68'. Sounds 5 years ahead of the pack.

Olatunji
This was fun to hear again, quite interesting how Olatunji managed to make such a diverse percussion based album. Not sure if I prefer this or Circle of Drums, both are good, neither blows me away. This one's more accessible and far more influential, though.

Can
Out of the 3 most popular Can albums I've heard, this is the least interesting one by a margin imo. Still an incredibly fun "psych-funk" as Skinny put it. Sing Swan Song is my jam, but Vitamin C and I'm So Green are bops as well.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Great. Glad I've finally heard a full album by this absolute legend, I've always dug his psychedelic style. Singing takes some getting used to, but overall a fantastic effort.

Ali Farka Toure
Just as cool as I remember it. Not my favourite project of his, but well worth revisiting.

King Crimson
One of the first prog albums I've heard, and to this day not much has topped it. I understand the Larks, Red, Discipline and Lizard love, but personally, I don't think they've ever come close to the quality of the debut. All 4 of those mentioned should be more interesting to me in terms of styles, weird experimental rock, jazzy and hard art rock, new wave-ish art rock and a bonkers prog suite all sound more interesting than the jazzy prog of the debut. In theory at least. I Talk To The Wind is incredible.

Charles Mingus
Not much to say here, it's one of the very best albums ever by pretty much any metric I can think of. Incredible compositions, musicianship, performances, it's forward-thinking and influential, full of fantastic melodies, licks, bits and pieces. Nothing sounds quite like The Black Saint, and it's as close to a perfect album as one can be.

Les Dragons
Didn't dig this one much unfortunately. The kora playing was good, the use of percussion was fun. Apart from those few great moments, there's not much going on here.

Since everyone's making lists:

1. The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
2. In the Court of the Crimson King
3. Gris-Gris
4. Shahen-Shah
5. Machine Gun
6. Ege Bamyasi
7. The River
8. Drums of Passion
9. In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
10. Les Dragons

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website