Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/13/2022 13:04
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. Mercury, have you ever heard his debut? It's great and is his most Dylanesque album.

Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. by Bruce Springsteen

Well, true. Songwriting stands out and the anthem arena rock feel isn't there yet. But while this album sits very comfortably in my top 100, I tend to think that it's not as up to snuff as Springsteen's later 70s and 80s work. But I should never be dissuading people from listening to more Bruce! As I said, this album is comfortably in my top 100. "Growin' Up" is perhaps my favorite Springsteen track, and if you liked "Racing in the Street" and "Darkness on the Edge of Town", there's some similar songs here, though stripped back of the blaring horns and overdubbed guitars (there are some horns though, Clarence Clemons was an essential part of the E Street Band from its conception).
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/14/2022 12:11
  • Post subject:
(1)

Epigone by Wilderun
Wilderun have blown me away with their 2019 effort. I'm not a big fan of symphonic prog metal, but that one was chock full of excellent ideas. Classical and symphonic elements with sharp songwriting and occasional melodic death metal parts. Unlike Veil of Imagination, Epigone has a more restricted approach when it comes to strings, orchestral parts etc. It's still fun and beautiful, pianos are still the highlight, but it lacks that special edge both in terms of style and songwriting. The ending Distraction suite which has 4 parts was the best "song", but the most interesting one is without a doubt Everything In Its Right Place bonus track. One of the most unlikely covers I can think of. Symphonic rock version of the best Radiohead song (there, I said it!) doesn't really work, but it was so weird hearing a cover like that from Wilderun of all bands that I found it very entertaining. Overall, a good progressive metal record and the second best album of the year for now. 7.5/10

(2)
Stina Nordenstam next to give you a break from metal

(3)
2021 and 2022

Plebeian Grandstand - Rien ne suffit
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Aesop Rock & Blockhead - Garbology
Sadness - _____
Ill Considered - Liminal Space
Kaatayra - Inpariquipê
Springtime - Springtime
Lamp of Murmuur - Submission and Slavery
Arca - Kick iii
--
Bonobo - Fragments

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/14/2022 14:06
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
(1)

Epigone by Wilderun
Wilderun have blown me away with their 2019 effort. I'm not a big fan of symphonic prog metal, but that one was chock full of excellent ideas. Classical and symphonic elements with sharp songwriting and occasional melodic death metal parts. Unlike Veil of Imagination, Epigone has a more restricted approach when it comes to strings, orchestral parts etc. It's still fun and beautiful, pianos are still the highlight, but it lacks that special edge both in terms of style and songwriting. The ending Distraction suite which has 4 parts was the best "song", but the most interesting one is without a doubt Everything In Its Right Place bonus track. One of the most unlikely covers I can think of. Symphonic rock version of the best Radiohead song (there, I said it!) doesn't really work, but it was so weird hearing a cover like that from Wilderun of all bands that I found it very entertaining. Overall, a good progressive metal record and the second best album of the year for now. 7.5/10

(

Cool! I've just discovered them from BangerTV. I'm not the biggest fan of symphonic prog metal either but they've grown on me. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2022 13:39
  • Post subject:
1)

And She Closed Her Eyes by Stina Nordenstam
So did Adrianne Lenker just straight up borrow everything about her sound from Stina Nordenstam? Nordenstam was great, there were times I sort of zoned out while listening and thought I might've been listening to a new Big Thief album.

I suppose there's not a ton to say about Nordenstam that I haven't said about Lenker/Big Thief already, with one exception: And She Closed Her Eyes was brilliant in that the songs steadily build up to "Little Star" (the clear highlight of the album) and then an equally steady cool down after that. Absolutely incredible, and I couldn't imagine listening to this any other way/in any other order. Wonderful, high 3.5/5.

2)
Arca I guess, I haven't been sold on her genius yet, but lots of people love it.

3)
Mercury's Top Albums of the 1990s
The albums I'm most looking forward to are in bold, but I'm open to all of them!
31. Souls at Zero by Neurosis
45. Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell by Social Distortion
56. March 16-20, 1992 by Uncle Tupelo
57. His Best (Chess 50th Anniversary Collection) by Little Walter
58. Ocean Machine: Biomech by Devin Townsend
61. Heartwork by Carcass
62. Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer
71. Most Things Haven't Worked Out by Junior Kimbrough
72. Obscura by Gorguts

74. Collection II by Misfits
(feel free to pick anything, not just the bold ones. I've decided I'm going to see this list through the end)[/quote]
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2022 17:16
  • Post subject:
Re: Springsteen, thanks for the feedback, my friends. I will for sure take that debut Boss album recommendation to heart. That is one I have never ever listened to any part of. For Springsteen, I think his own description of what he was trying to combine (he said this i think early in his career) is fascinating. Dylan lyrically, Orbison vocally and dramatically, and Specter production and grandiosity-wise. I love Dylan to my core and I love much of the greats he inspired. I have never really felt anything for Orbison nor been smitten with Specter's wall of sound, mini-symphony or whatever style. They are both fine. But yeah, those are the elements of Springsteen I love less. And perhaps its no surprise that the album that came closest to being a personal favorite in Bruce's discog is Nebraska. Still, when I am in the mood, Born To Run is very VERY alluring and gratifying and special. Will for sure do a deeper and more detailed dive into his work.

Origin Of Symmetry by Muse

I am impressed by the clarity and crispness and punch of the production here as EyeKanFly mentioned. I had my ears open to this element as a result of your comment, EKF, so appreciate that. I also appreciate these players, they are good rock musicians. I like (well enough) the sound and style. In my mind I always thought of them growing up as the mass-market radiohead. Now, after listening to this and for the first time hearing a full album by them, I think this isn’t accurate. The vocals and some of the melodies are reminiscent of Radiohead, sure, but generally this is a somewhat artsy, very conceptual, HARD alt rock album at its core. Radiohead is… different. Very. So listening has helped me separate out the gauzy and indistinct concepts I have had of Muse and at least have a clear concept of what they are.

Okay, so did I like this album? Yes, I thought it was pretty good. Not sure if I ever loved it. But generally it was fine. Some of the over-the-top theatrics and things were BOTH the big turn offs and the selling points. They really get into it with full bodied vigor at times, and these are some HUGE moments, massive guitar parts, big soaring vocals and screams while always being quite melodic, massive drum sound, it all comes to a head and kicks ass and I can hear the appeal and at times even old curmudgeon/sad sack like me was getting a bit into it. But also about 60% or so of the time when these songs and concepts would crescendo I would feel like I was distant and unmoved and kind of “meh” about it.

The flow of the album is pretty fine I think. There are enough high points throughout mixed with the more low key building, “artsy” parts ( I think I like the more low key moments slightly more, as a side point), so almost always 5 minutes in any direction there is bound to be something new and dramatic or pretty.

More specifics and so forth are hard to dredge up. The most “popular” I guess - the ones with the little star beside them on apple music, - were the most clearly the BIG ballsy dramatic rock songs and those were the ones I was least interested in and the ones that I was most expecting to some degree. It was the low key stuff that I enjoyed the most.

I had a hard time making myself listen to this in full in one sitting. That is due to my musical preferences to some degree of course, but also that is a reflection of m,y mood the last few weeks. I haven’t been drawn as much to music for a little while. A Bit of a musical obsession lull is where I’m at. More work and audiobooks lately. And the albums that have been the ones that have been on consistent rotation lately have NOT been rock records, but more re-re-re-re-re listens of Reign In Blood and Adrianne Lenker’s songs album, as well as some Big Thief albums. Haven’t been in the mood for rock (anthemic and big rock stuff - big thief is rock of a kind), which is making this BEA, rock-loving, list a little tough to get excited about. Oh and my top 100 chart and the inclusion of songs and reign in blood in my personal top 3 is indication of my adoration that has developed or newly developed the last year for those albums. (that was a major random factoid disrelated utterly from Origin of Symmetry, apologies.

-------------------------

@EyeKanFly, let's see... first off love your write up on Stina's album. I can hear some similarities betwixt her and Lenker. But as much as I love Stina, I think Lenker is on another level. At least, songs is.

Next one for you, I think, should be:

Seasons In The Abyss by Slayer

I feel peak slayer (1985-1991) is the single greatest metal band of all time and any sub genre. (based off my still limited understanding of metal). This is my 3rd fave of their albums. Its a good mix of the sheer intensity of Reign In Blood and the atmospheric heaviness of South of Heaven with more grounded (meaning, less satanic) themes and lyrics. I hope you like it. Oh, and the drummer, which you will organically notice without me mentioning it, is such a legend that he transcends. He is my fave drummer ever any genre.
------------------------

CHANGE! I am going to move away from the rocking BEA list for awhile.

Looking at my Overall, these following albums are ones that I somehow and against all odds, have NEVER listened to or gotten into or given a real chance to:

1. Abysskiss by Adrianne Lenker/2018 (2020's songs is such a masterpiece that I feel it may very well become my favorite album ever at some point. It's special beyond belief to me and I am very appreciative for it these last tough 2 years. This is her 2018 solo album that I should have listened to a loooong time ago but for some reason never did.)

2. Boots No. 1: The Official Revival Bootleg by Gillian Welch/2016 and 1996 (her debut is great, Gillian is a gem and an all time great. These are recordings from that original recording session or sessions for her debut.)

3. Is This Desire? by PJ Harvey/1998 (I have heard this... maybe twice years ago and, considering the previous album in this legend's discog is one of the all time great albums in my opinion, I should listen to this closely and over and over.)

4. Red Roses for Me by The Pogues/1984 (I adore Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. And I really love the majority of their 1988 third album. But this, their debut, I have no thoughts because I have given it tops 2 listens and never really explored it.)

5. There Is No-One What Will Take Care of You by Palace Brothers/1993 (I love I See A Darkness. I have heard this, and I have heard other Oldham-affiliated or solo albums. But I don't think I ever really gave this attention, instead I have been laser focused on that one masterpiece.)

6. New Amerykah Part One: 4th World War by Erykah Badu/2008 (Recently realized mama's Gun is a work of genius and I adore it. Baduizm is cool too. But this album I have never listened to but really want to.)

7. Floss by Injury Reserve/2016 (Their latest album is such a monumental and unique achievement that I have a tendency to think of it in isolation. But I really should have already listened to some of their back catalogue. But I never have. I want to give Floss its first listen or 2 or 3.)

8. Phantom Limb by Pig Destroyer/2007 (Same old story, I have become obsessed with 1 or 2 albums by this band and been lazer focused on them and never moved on from them even after dozens of listens. This is their follow up to the classic 1-2 punch of Prowler in the Yard and Terrifyer. So, yeah I wanna hear this.)

9. Figure 8 by Elliott Smith/2000 (Fantano recently ranked this his fave Elliott Smith album or maybe second behind self-titled. Which blew me away because as he talked about it I realized I have no ,opinion or recollection of this album - despite loving and having memorized the 3 previous albums of his. So, yeah this deserves a lot more attention from me. Thus, included here)

10. Embrace by Embrace/1987 (one of the essential early emocore albums, with one of the most personally idolized artists in my life - McKaye - and yet I have never given this nearly enough spins and attention. Considering I worship Minor Threat and respect almost all Fugazi, I need to give this the attention it deserves.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

Last edited by Mercury on 01/15/2022 17:19; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/15/2022 17:17
  • Post subject:
(1)

Kick III by Arca
I'm not too big of a fan either. But I can't deny how forward thinking Arca's deconstructed, glitchy electronic pop is. Doesn't mean I like her unique execution of that specific genre mix, but I can appreciate it. Which pretty much happens here. The vocals weren't doing anything for me, in fact they were borderline irritating at parts, but the instrumentals had some interesting ideas (as always). I liked Fiera, Intimate Flesh/Joja duo and Ripples the most, while Senorita was pretty bad. Hip hop + reggaeton + Arca is absolutely not my favourite. Not sure if I'll go ahead and listen to kick iiiii, which is apparently the 2nd best of the bunch, but I sure am glad to have listened to this. It's better than kick i, and not as good as the more restrained and ambient-ish s/t. 7/10

(2)
Gorguts next. Prepare yourself for some dark, heavy and noisy moments EyeKanFly Very Happy Again lol. Glad I didn't wait for 12 hours before checking the thread again. Merc, go with Is This Desire, it's stylistically the best PJ album imo, and very close to being the best overall.

(3)
2021 and 2022

Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Sadness - _____
Kaatayra - Inpariquipê
Springtime - Springtime
Mortiferum - Preserved in Torment
Nas - King's Disease II / Magic
--
Bonobo - Fragments

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 01/15/2022 17:39; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2022 17:21
  • Post subject:
damn it, ledzep, we did it again. I beat you to it by 1 minute. (i'm lowkey stoked that I get near-instant gratification of an album chosen to listen to next.)

• Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 01/16/2022 10:46
  • Post subject:

In Den Gärten Pharaos by Popol Vuh

A bit too ambient for my tastes. Especially the high pitched drone in the first track, however the percussion in that one was great. Definitely created some sort of atmosphere, and both tracks were interesting to start off with but the second track could not maintain my interest for such a lengthy piece. 6.5/10 and 50/53 for 1971.

About time I am able to give you Courtney Barnett Zep. Sure it doesn't have the instant appeal of her first 2 albums, or her collab with Kurt Vile, but it's still a good album that if you take time, takes time to appreciate more.

Things Take Time, Take Time by Courtney Barnett

Top 38 Music Albums of 1971 by Repo (2 picks left)

3. In Search Of Space by Hawkwind
6. Grateful Dead (Skull & Roses) by Grateful Dead
7. Anne Briggs by Anne Briggs
8. Kazemachi Roman by はっぴいえんど [Happy End]
10. Yesterday's Wine by Willie Nelson
11. Teenage Head by The Flamin' Groovies
12. Ash Ra Tempel by Ash Ra Tempel
13. Fireball by Deep Purple
14. Bonnie Raitt by Bonnie Raitt
15. Budgie by Budgie
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/17/2022 16:00
  • Post subject:
(1)

Things Take Time, Take Time by Courtney Barnett
While this isn't bad, it's definitely a major step down from the 2 solo albums and 1 collab she's released so far. It's... different. Not as charming or lovely or upbeat, yet still quite good. I'll take some time, some time with this album like Purplepash suggested, I'm hopeful that it'll grow on me since I usually dig Courtney Barnett a lot. Not that I didn't like this one, quite the contrary. Borderline chart worthy, low 7.5/10

(2)
Happy End album is cool, it was voted the best Japanese rock album ever by their edition of Rolling Stone. Not sure how relevant that is, but it's apparently very influential album, so maybe it deserves the title.

(3)
2021 and 2022

Sadness - _____
Kaatayra - Inpariquipê
Springtime - Springtime
Mortiferum - Preserved in Torment
Nas - King's Disease II / Magic
--
Bonobo - Fragments
Cat Powers - Covers

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2022 16:51
  • Post subject:

Is This Desire? by PJ Harvey

This is really good. The songs here are very moody much like on To Bring You My Love, but, unlike on its predecessor, there are far fewer moments of feral release. Instead each one of these tracks is a slithering and roiling intense wildly emotional intense moody thing. At some points there are some intense and loud moments of release like on "No Girls So Sweet", or the disorienting industrial "Joy", but for the most part this is a less explosive album. By and large each of these moody songs and vibes is executed excellently and there are so many interesting musical choices and textures to keep it fascinating throughout. The songwriting is quite intense and emotional lyrically.

The change stylistically is really interesting. The more electronic beat sound mostly works quite well. The production is good. The vocals are solid. All these facets are great. I still consider her 1995 album to be her best I've heard by a mile, but its a bit unfair to compare to that album as I have heard it dozens more times and I grew up with it and I didn't always adore that album. It took years for it to become a special favorite, and perhaps with the years and decades this will blossom as one of my faves ever as well. I think i definitely do like this more than her first 2 albums. Is This Desire? just has such a dark atmosphere and vibe. It sounds like little vignettes of people going through some serious shit.

Anyway, this gets a 3.5 to 4 out of 5 now. It's great.

-------------------------

@LedZep,

Liminal Space by Ill Considered

this is on my queue as well. Looks interesting.
------------------------

CHANGE! I am going to move away from the rocking BEA list for awhile.

Looking at my Overall, these following albums are ones that I somehow and against all odds, have NEVER listened to or gotten into or given a real chance to:

1. Abysskiss by Adrianne Lenker/2018 (2020's songs is such a masterpiece that I feel it may very well become my favorite album ever at some point. It's special beyond belief to me and I am very appreciative for it these last tough 2 years. This is her 2018 solo album that I should have listened to a loooong time ago but for some reason never did.)

2. Boots No. 1: The Official Revival Bootleg by Gillian Welch/2016 and 1996 (her debut is great, Gillian is a gem and an all time great. These are recordings from that original recording session or sessions for her debut.)

3. Remission by Mastodon/2002 (I have never given much attention to Mastodon's debut back when they were a wild sludge band more purely. So here ya go as a possible nom.)

4. Red Roses for Me by The Pogues/1984 (I adore Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. And I really love the majority of their 1988 third album. But this, their debut, I have no thoughts because I have given it tops 2 listens and never really explored it.)

5. There Is No-One What Will Take Care of You by Palace Brothers/1993 (I love I See A Darkness. I have heard this, and I have heard other Oldham-affiliated or solo albums. But I don't think I ever really gave this attention, instead I have been laser focused on that one masterpiece.)

6. New Amerykah Part One: 4th World War by Erykah Badu/2008 (Recently realized mama's Gun is a work of genius and I adore it. Baduizm is cool too. But this album I have never listened to but really want to.)

7. Floss by Injury Reserve/2016 (Their latest album is such a monumental and unique achievement that I have a tendency to think of it in isolation. But I really should have already listened to some of their back catalogue. But I never have. I want to give Floss its first listen or 2 or 3.)

8. Phantom Limb by Pig Destroyer/2007 (Same old story, I have become obsessed with 1 or 2 albums by this band and been lazer focused on them and never moved on from them even after dozens of listens. This is their follow up to the classic 1-2 punch of Prowler in the Yard and Terrifyer. So, yeah I wanna hear this.)

9. Figure 8 by Elliott Smith/2000 (Fantano recently ranked this his fave Elliott Smith album or maybe second behind self-titled. Which blew me away because as he talked about it I realized I have no ,opinion or recollection of this album - despite loving and having memorized the 3 previous albums of his. So, yeah this deserves a lot more attention from me. Thus, included here)

10. Embrace by Embrace/1987 (one of the essential early emocore albums, with one of the most personally idolized artists in my life - McKaye - and yet I have never given this nearly enough spins and attention. Considering I worship Minor Threat and respect almost all Fugazi, I need to give this the attention it deserves.

• Visit poster's website