Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
DelBocaVista

• Posted: 11/14/2021 16:40
  • Post subject:
I noticed that White Light/White Heat remains at 8.7, despite Sister Ray being downgraded a bit (8.9 to 8.6). Do you now think more highly of the other tracks or of the overall continuity?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/14/2021 17:18
  • Post subject:
DelBocaVista wrote:
I noticed that White Light/White Heat remains at 8.7, despite Sister Ray being downgraded a bit (8.9 to 8.6). Do you now think more highly of the other tracks or of the overall continuity?

I need to revisit it, but at this moment I think WL/WH is either 8.7 or 8.8 and the additional tracks add to the overall rating more than not. So the additional tracks combined, and w/o including Sister Ray, should be about 6.3/10 or 6.4... Though sometimes I think it's a little higher which could still be justified because the album has borderline continuity that maybe detracts very slightly from the "sum" of its parts (emphasis on maybe).

...And sometimes I think it's more like 6.0, 6.1 w/o Sister Ray... (which would reconsider the overall rating or would mean SR got upgraded to make up the difference)

(Note that there is also taking into account that the portion w/o SR is more than half - 22 min vs 17 so would affect the overall rating a little bit more if divided up that way)

Regardless, I don't think the overall rating is less than 8.7.
So sometimes SR drops a little, or vice versa -- one or the other, with the other part making up the difference. But the overall rating is either 8.7 or 8.8.
  • Visit poster's website
homelessking

• Posted: 01/18/2022 04:50
  • Post subject:
What do you think of this song? https://youtu.be/7X_3yOUKSOc
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/21/2022 23:40
  • Post subject:
homelessking wrote:
What do you think of this song? https://youtu.be/7X_3yOUKSOc

It's been ages since I've given Genesis a proper listen, but I checked it out here and that might be their best and would possibly make it onto my list, perhaps between 6.0 and 6.7. I'm hardly listening to music right now and even when I am it is only barely above "casually". I am pretty caught up in cinema, particularly acting performance revisits, evals, updated rankings at the moment ... but may add this Genesis track to this list soon as it is probably deserving.

Fyi, I am revisiting cinema partially as a temporary break from visual art/painting (after pretty exhaustive revisit, study and analysis of Michelangelo's works especially, that I needed a short break from), but I am now getting more caught up in cinema than I initially expected, so said "break" might go on longer than anticipated.
  • Visit poster's website