2021 Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 02/21/2022 03:27
  • Post subject:
I'd have to double check, but I believe that outside of the short film and documentary categories, Parallel Mothers, West Side Story, and Luca are the only films nominated for Oscars that I haven't seen.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2022 03:50
  • Post subject:
^^ I'll vouch for Parallel Mothers. Great movie.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/21/2022 21:50
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
I'd have to double check, but I believe that outside of the short film and documentary categories, Parallel Mothers, West Side Story, and Luca are the only films nominated for Oscars that I haven't seen.

Think I have 8-9 or so I haven't seen, but the only one I'm interested in is Licorice Pizza. Wasn't super hot on this year's overall selection. Parallel Mothers and Luca are fantastic— hoping Luca wins the animated category over Encanto... pretty sure it won't happen because of this massive rush Encanto's having, but.

Some solid recent 2021 watches on my end—

Feathers
The Cloud In Her Room
Unclenching The Fists
Murina

and Compartment No. 6 gets a light thumb's up. Going to have to mull it over a bit. Can say I enjoyed the movie more than the book though.

Del Toro's Nightmare Alley was good too, but should have been way tighter. After the first 45 minutes he just straight-up didn't pace it right. Made a 2.5 film feel around 4. Still, there's a great film in there... somewhere.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2022 17:52
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Think I have 8-9 or so I haven't seen, but the only one I'm interested in is Licorice Pizza. Wasn't super hot on this year's overall selection. Parallel Mothers and Luca are fantastic— hoping Luca wins the animated category over Encanto... pretty sure it won't happen because of this massive rush Encanto's having, but.

Did you watch Flee? I think it has a chance of disrupting any or all the categories it was nominated for: animated, documentary, international feature.

It was haunting and joyous and wonderful and... important. I think. It was one of the most captivating movies I've watched this year. Taught me a lot about human trafficking in a way that I haven't understood or comprehended before.

That said, it's animation isn't any technical achievement, and the animation is mixed with news reports and other historic footage. So I might see it hard winning in that category. For documentary, I was really hoping Summer of Soul would win, but wow this gives it a run for its money. And international feature I think it has the best chance despite Drive My Car being lauded enough that it received best picture and director nods as well. I haven't seen it yet so can't judge.

It's a unique movie that doesn't fit perfectly into any of the 3 categories it was nominated for, but it's a movie well worth watching.

Looking back on my wishlist from December, I've watched out more than I anticipated:
- West Side Story
- Eternals
- Dune
- Licorice Pizza
- Don't Look Up
- The Green Knight
- The French Dispatch
- Drive My Car
- Spider-Man: No Way Home

but now I've added Belfast, The Worst Person in the World, The Tragedy of Macbeth, and Luca (that one should at least by easy to access).

I guess I've seen quite a few more films in the 2 months since I last posted my ranking, so here goes an update:

1. Bo Burnham: Inside [obviously not up for any Oscars, but if it counts as a film, it was my film of the year]
2. Flee
3. Judas and the Black Messiah
4. Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
5. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
6. Spider-Man: No Way Home
7. West Side Story [I was SO surprised how impressed I was by this remake]
8. The Power of the Dog
9. Eternals [I seemed to have enjoyed this much more than the average critic and even more than the average Marvel junkie lol]
10. Encanto
11. No Time to Die
12. Passing
13. Tick, tick... BOOM!
14. In the Heights
15. Black Widow
16. Don't Look Up

All movies I genuinely enjoyed, unlike last year when I watched less films and there were more "meh"s.

Also I didn't really rate/rank the Beatles doc, but if I were to count the doc as a whole, it'd be somewhere ~13-15th place, or if just counting the 3rd episode or just the Rooftop Concert, then it'd jump to ~3rd-5th place.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/26/2022 15:25
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Did you watch Flee?

Yup. Good stuff. Love it when something so different like that comes along. Glad it got recognized by the Academy— I swear 10-15 years ago it would have been completely ignored (actually, if it wasn't for the A-list producers, it may have been ignored this year too). It's the sort of story that needs as wide of an audience as it can get, especially with what's happened in Afghanistan the past year. It's never going to happen, but I'd love a tie between Flee and Summer of Soul. Can't quite pick between the two. (Drive My Car has international in the bag).

Really great work though, glad you enjoyed it.

Hoping you get around to The French Dispatch, The Worst Person in the World, The Tragedy of Macbeth, and Luca soon. I'm not kidding, those are all in my top five of the year (along with Spencer). It's not going to stay this way, but here's my top 50 of the year as of now.

The Oscar-nominated films I haven't seen are—
King Richard
West Side Story
Licorice Pizza (*high-priority)
Being The Ricardos
Cyrano
House of Gucci
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Shang-Chi
Hand of God (*medium priority)
& Coming 2 America
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/27/2022 21:58
  • Post subject:
LeBron James won Worst actor, well deserved. Tonight I'm expecting Power of the Dog to win the top prize.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/28/2022 04:30
  • Post subject:
Because they "bleeped" what was said and the Oscar broadcast froze, I thought Will Smith slapping Chris Rock might've been staged, but it wasn't:

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/15...Al_ziK9y_w

Don't think Rock knew Jada Pinkett Smith's shaved head was due to alopecia, so a huge misunderstanding. The violence is not justifiable at all, though. Smith could've shown up Rock worse by verbally shaming him.
  • Visit poster's website