Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2022 20:18
  • Post subject:
Awesome! I'll definitely be following along! I'm sure it will MORE exciting than Low in concert! lol. <they put me to sleep! Mr. Green >
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2022 16:57
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Awesome! I'll definitely be following along! I'm sure it will MORE exciting than Low in concert! lol. <they put me to sleep! Mr. Green >

lol. not to come off as an uncultured swine... but I can't imagine a slowcore band ever being anything but a sleepy and boring live experience.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2022 16:58
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Interesting. I won't say I'm a real fan of Low but have some of their albums in my collection and I still think The Great Destroyer is their best but could be convinced otherwise because I haven't listened to all their albums. And there was of course that last album of theirs which at the same time sounds very cold and very emotional. It's a very unlikely album to love for me (no guitars aso) but I like it very much (and still hope Days Like These will make it in the song contest).

yeah I can't say I am a huge fan of Low outside of last year's album. From what I understand, they weren't always that loud and exciting. We shall see if I grow to love earlier, slower, quieter Low.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 04/27/2022 17:09
  • Post subject:
Low's debut LP, I Could Live In Hope

I Could Live In Hope by Low

This is the second most listened to Low album in my life. I remember initially thinking it was good if a bit sleepy and boring. As time went on I appreciated it more. I appreciated more and more the elegant compositions and the whole atmosphere of this LP.

Then I heard their 2021 album and I fell in love with it. I returned to this album after being blown away by HEY WHAT and I found I liked it even more. Still wasn't in love. This style of slow, brooding, minimalist indie always struck me as more style than substance. I felt a lot of the praise for it was a bit overblown.

As I listen now, I can say I have still not crossed that threshold from liking and admiration to true love or enjoyment. There are moments of utter transcendent beauty like the opener "Words" or the epic 9.5 minute "Lullaby" or really any of the tracks that Mimi is the main/lead singer. There are elements of the sound here that are just cool... like the way the drums never use anything like a bass drum or something that thumps, or the constant angelic harmonies, or the reverby and spacious production. But there are still stretches of this album when I have to be honest with myself and admit I am bored and not at all overcome by the simple majesty of the melody and attitude.

This is a classic for a reason. This is to this day perhaps the closest any so called "slowcore" album has become a favorite. And the highlights are indeed outn-of-this-world. But not one of my favorites.

Score I'll give this is 7.4/10 With a range of 7.1-8.0 (meaning depending on my disposition I could imagine going as low and high as that.)

------------------

Low albums and EPs ranked as I go:

1. I Could Live In Hope (1994) - 7.4/10

• Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2022 00:28
  • Post subject:
that was a fucking lie.

turns out i don't really like listening to lots of low and then saying something about it.

slowcore, or whatever you wanna call this slow, faded, in-no-rush, somewhat dreamy version of indie, isn't my thing.

and even when it IS something that strikes a chord, it is not something I can interestingly express it.

sorry.

i think i will soon or at least eventually think of something i'd be interested in posting here.

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2022 02:39
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
that was a fucking lie.

turns out i don't really like listening to lots of low and then saying something about it.

slowcore, or whatever you wanna call this slow, faded, in-no-rush, somewhat dreamy version of indie, isn't my thing.

and even when it IS something that strikes a chord, it is not something I can interestingly express it.

sorry.

i think i will soon or at least eventually think of something i'd be interested in posting here.

How about, idk, your favorite metal albums from, hmmmmm... what year would be good?! Think Think Think

Oh. I got it! 1983!!! Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2022 10:57
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

The sound of my heart dying

How dare you. I will not stand for such sacrilege! I'm not newbie to getting bored at shows. The War on Drugs bored the crap out of me a couple of nights ago. The couple of times I've seen Low were both great, and totally dynamic.

Mercury, May I suggest The Great Destroyer? As much as Low is a slowcore band, there's a point around the 2000s where they really became much more than that - dynamic, heavier, and their albums really started to vary more sonically. I love the early stuff, but I think it's around Things We Lost in the Fire where they really became a consistently great band.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2022 14:16
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
The sound of my heart dying

How dare you. I will not stand for such sacrilege! I'm not newbie to getting bored at shows. The War on Drugs bored the crap out of me a couple of nights ago. The couple of times I've seen Low were both great, and totally dynamic.

Ha! It might have been the venue. A recently converted church in the northside of Pittsburgh. AND I had just seen the Melvins like a week b4. So there's that! lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Streams

• Posted: 06/23/2022 14:53
  • Post subject:
Low has become more of a tracks band for me. Swingin', Words, Coattails, Just Like Christmas, Hand So Small, Starfire, Sunflower, Murderer, Violent Past, Point of Disgust.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2022 19:10
  • Post subject:
I see what you mean there, Streams. I personally LOVE their last LP AS a complete album. also Double negative is a pretty amazing LP. But yeah in small doses I think is what I need for their earlier stuff.

• Visit poster's website