Best Films of 2021 [Poll][Closed]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/28/2022 22:04
  • Post subject:
Thanks RockyRaccoon, will tally soon Smile

And I'll update your list EyeKanFly, all good. Appreciate you bolding the updates. Bit sad to hear you didn't enjoy The French Dispatch, but I'm in the same boat with you for Dune, (which will probably in turn make Rocky sad).

Boiling Point is a new entry on my list, and a very strong rec. Hoping people get a chance to see it asap.

EDIT: Okay, everyone's tallied and up-to-date.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2022 06:41
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Hey everyone—

Due to other commitments, I'm going to have to postpone the deadline for this (most likely 2 weeks). Hopefully this works in everyone's favour.

Bit more time to squeeze in some films Mr. Green

Life's been intruding on watching a lot the last few weeks, so 2 more weeks works great!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2022 23:19
  • Post subject:
We Couldn't Become Adults is the third very good Japanese film I've seen of 2021 (the other two are obvious). It's about a man in his mid-40s who reflects on his life, tracing how he went from young idealist to an ordinary, boring adult at a dozen or so key moments in his life. This is deeply-rooted in Japanese cinematic tradition; the story and characters feel very grounded and relatable. Kinda like Ikiru in the Digital Age. I'm not saying it's up there with Ikiru, nor the big Japanese film of 2021 (DMD), but I feel WCBA should have received more notice. Give it a shot. It's on Netflix. Just a heads up though, Netflix only has a dubbed version (at least where I'm located). The dubbing is distracting at first, but you get used to it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/07/2022 21:55
  • Post subject:
I had a very difficult time figuring out my acting lists. Think I've boiled it down to top 10s I'm happy with. I'll leave it at that.

Actors—
1. Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)
2. Stephen Graham (Boiling Point)
3. Jason Isaacs (Mass)
4. Daniel Kaluuya (Judas And The Black Messiah)
5. Udo Kier (Swan Song)
6. Caleb Landry Jones (Nitram)
7. Andrew Garfield (Tick Tick Boom)
8. Amir Jadidi (A Hero)
9. Troy Kotsur (CODA)
10. Simon Rex (Red Rocket)

Which is just... leaving people off. Oscar Isaac (The Card Counter), Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of The Dog, The Electrical Life of Louis Wain), Vincent Lindon (Titane), Benicio Del Toro (The French Dispatch), Jeffrey Wright (The French Dispatch), Hidetoshi Nishijima (Drive My Car), and Amir El-Masry (Limbo) could all easily be on there.

Actresses—
1. Renate Reinsve (The Worst Person In The World)
2. Kathryn Hunter (The Tragedy of Macbeth)
3. Kristen Stewart (Spencer)
4. Emilia Jones (CODA)
5. Ann Dowd (Mass)
6. Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)
7. Anamaria Vartolomei (Happening)
8. Jodie Comer (Help)
9. Toko Miura (Drive My Car)
10. Ruth Negga (Passing)

Scores—
1. Spencer
2. The French Dispatch
3. The Power of The Dog
4 Dune
5. Drive My Car
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2022 22:52
  • Post subject:
Hayden, always love to see your opinions!

I will say, although I didn't really enjoy The French Dispatch, Jeffrey Wright and Benicio Del Toro were very clear highlights. To the point that Timothée Chalamet's section was like... legit bad in comparison. I think I've come to realize that although I enjoy Wes Anderson, he doesn't usually draw great acting performances. Which might be why my favorite movies of his are the stop-motion animated films.

On the subject of score, I find it interesting how much praise Jonny Greenwood got for The Power of the Dog, when (imo) his score for Spencer was LEAGUES better.

Still need to see Drive My Car, Licorice Pizza, Macbeth, and The Worst Person in the World. Maybe I'll get there by the end of 2022
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/09/2022 02:49
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Hayden, always love to see your opinions!

I will say, although I didn't really enjoy The French Dispatch, Jeffrey Wright and Benicio Del Toro were very clear highlights. To the point that Timothée Chalamet's section was like... legit bad in comparison. I think I've come to realize that although I enjoy Wes Anderson, he doesn't usually draw great acting performances. Which might be why my favorite movies of his are the stop-motion animated films.

On the subject of score, I find it interesting how much praise Jonny Greenwood got for The Power of the Dog, when (imo) his score for Spencer was LEAGUES better.

Still need to see Drive My Car, Licorice Pizza, Macbeth, and The Worst Person in the World. Maybe I'll get there by the end of 2022

Thanks EyeKanFly, appreciate it. (I'm slightly tired, so I'm just going to make some comments/reply to your post in jots, I apologize).

—The French Dispatch has such an insanely packed cast that almost everyone was under-utilized, but Del Toro, Wright, (and maybe) McDormand got the best chunk of lines. Maybe Swinton too. As much as I understand everyone wants to be on Wes's set, landing Christoph Waltz and Elisabeth Moss for what were roles that could've gone to anyone was a little overkill. I don't know what point I'm trying to make here.

—Ralph Fiennes (The Grand Budapest Hotel) wants a word with that bolded bit. Should've gotten his Oscar for that role.

—Spencer is the better score, I agree. Such a shame he didn't win an Oscar for either... Greenwood's genuinely become one of the best film score composers of this century. His work always elevates the film. (I'm still somewhat under the impression Campion watched There Will Be Blood a whole bunch of times and just... wanted to give it a whirl).

—Definitely get on The Worst Person In The World. I think it's a staple of 2021, and it'll probably remain one of my favourites of the decade. It's all of the emotions in one bowl. (I've yet to watch Anaïs in Love, which came out around the same time, but I've heard the two have shocking similarities).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/14/2022 16:13
  • Post subject:
One week left Smile
  • Visit poster's website
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/14/2022 23:51
  • Post subject:
How inconvenient would it be if I were to suddenly declare Petite Mamain was my favorite of 2021 and want to put it as my new #1 and everything else should drop one position?
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/15/2022 00:38
  • Post subject:
BozoTyrannus wrote:
How inconvenient would it be if I were to suddenly declare Petite Mamain was my favorite of 2021 and want to put it as my new #1 and everything else should drop one position?

It’s not a problem Smile (it's actually really easy).
I’ll update your list tomorrow.

EDIT: Updated.

Last edited by Hayden on 05/15/2022 19:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2022 03:44
  • Post subject:
Petite Maman isn't playing near me until maybbbeeeee Friday, which means I might have to see it in a triple feature with Men and the new Dr. Strange.

(And I will DEFINITELY treat all of those as 2022 movies. FUCK YOU HAYDEN)
  • Visit poster's website