2022 Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/12/2022 23:21
  • Post subject:
New Quelle sounding like everything. Midnight marauders know. I’ll get to Kendrick in the morning, I’m not waiting up until 5. But this new Quelle is the shit.
Keatownrodriguez
Aimless Angler

United States

• Posted: 05/13/2022 00:07
  • Post subject:

Link

I'm not okay
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/13/2022 10:29
  • Post subject:
Kendrick impressions after two full listens:

It’s very shouty.
It’s very earnest.
It’s very musical theatre, and often hews a bit close to Eminem for comfort.
It is decidedly unfunky. In fact, the beats are largely a little too melodramatic and consciously “important” for my liking.
Ghostface has the best verse. In fact, it’s the best thing he’s done in years.
Kodak has the second best verse.
There are no hooks.
It’s still ridiculously compelling.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/13/2022 10:35
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
New Quelle sounding like everything. Midnight marauders know. I’ll get to Kendrick in the morning, I’m not waiting up until 5. But this new Quelle is the shit.
I'm actually slightly underwhelmed given the strength of the singles. A good album for sure, but it doesn't reach the highs of Alive Ain't Always Living often. Similar to the Denzel Curry experience earlier in the year.

Apart from the Kendrick and Quelle albums, there's also the new Black Keys, Smile and Gospel (their sophomore after 15+ years of waiting). A wild day for new releases.

Edit: Kendrick's album is... fine. Much more interesting than DAMN. but not much better quality-wise (if at all). So, still a good album. A Light For Attracting Attention is basically the best Radiohead album since In Rainbows.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/13/2022 18:56
  • Post subject:
Opening of ‘Savior’ feels like a way less fun version of the Chris Rock bit from ‘Blame Game’. Album lacks fun in a big way.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/13/2022 19:28
  • Post subject:
Also: is any white journalist out there gonna realise that maybe Kendrick didn’t recruit Kodak to make some point about the hypocrisy of man/cancel culture/his own wavering moral compass, but because Kodak may be the best rapper alive and game recognise game?
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/13/2022 19:51
  • Post subject:
If Kendrick passing by you on the tour, just go. I saw him on the good kid tour and on the damn tour. Both times incredible. Whatever you think of the album, go see him live whenever you get the opportunity.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/13/2022 23:16
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
If Kendrick passing by you on the tour, just go. I saw him on the good kid tour and on the damn tour. Both times incredible. Whatever you think of the album, go see him live whenever you get the opportunity.

Might consider it. Think the Toronto dates were mid-summer. I haven't been to a concert in forever. (The last concert I went to was Aretha Franklin, which... tells you how long ago it was).

Anyway—

Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar

Won't lie, I was going Think Shocked Eh? for a good portion of this record, with the occasional sprinkle of Cool. I just hit play. Didn't pay attention to what track was what, just let it roll. I'm not ready to get into an analysis or anything, but I'm confident in my first reaction. I think this is the record Kendrick wanted DAMN to be. It's like the TPAB-ification of DAMN. I feel this is something he really wanted to make— it's personal, sharp, bold, serious, introspective, candid, vulnerable, and leans towards (slam-ish) poetry at times— albeit fully aware it could divide fans.

The most noticeable element of this record for me was the dry atmosphere. Musically, I don't think there's a whole bunch of highlights, and the vibe is a little scattered. He doesn't have that unified sound here like on chill west-coast GKMC or the jazz-laden TPAB, or the more pop-leaning arena-rap DAMN. It needs more swing. Undoubtedly. Everything's far too precision-cut. I'm not getting that groove he slides into so effortlessly, which is surprising considering he had so much of it on his teaser single (absent here, which makes sense). When the swing comes out on Father Time and Mother I Sober, you really notice. It's when Kendrick's sound comes together, and it's what always put him ahead of the game. The jagged edges on the beats in the first half needed to loosen up. Get a massage. Something. I'm not quite sure where it was on the album (once again, I just hit play), but Kodak Black comes out over this abstract piano solo, and it's a phenomenal moment. Reminds me of Andre 3000's scene-stealer on Blonde. I wish Kendrick went over it himself... he's the sort of rapper I would want to see doing that.

Obvious talking points are We Cry Together and Auntie Diaries. I'm sure they'll have the most words written about them. I'm impressed by We Cry Together as a performance piece— it's almost a song-version of a skit— but I can't say it'll be on heavy repeat. Taylour Paige outdoes Kendrick by a mile.

Now, there's lines I don't like. Kendrick has almost always had something to say, and there's a couple points on this album where for the first time he doesn't. I'll... find them. Eventually. There's a bit of cringe. A bit of ego. A bit of cheese. Braggadocios occasionally. But there's a weight here that DAMN never had. It's meaty. It's a bit more sophisticated, a little less mainstream (will anything here come close to landing radioplay?), and it's a few steps up from his previous record. Highlights, like Father Time and Mother I Sober (and maybe Crown), feel like Kendrick at his most Kendrick-like.

Looking forward to giving it another spin. All these opinions might change. I remember GKMC didn't hit me on first listen at all, so who knows.

(Despite this reading negative, I did enjoy the album. I think it's good). I'm just writing terribly.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/17/2022 09:23
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Apart from the Kendrick and Quelle albums, there's also the new Black Keys, Smile and Gospel (their sophomore after 15+ years of waiting). A wild day for new releases.
So out of those, the Gospel comeback album is by far the best. It's a feat to even be compared to Kendrick, Smile etc. and they've managed to beat everyone in terms of quality. If you like post-hardcore and screamo, look no further for AOTY.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2022 21:33
  • Post subject:

American Heartbreak by Zach Bryan

I was worried when I saw the insanely long tracklist...

After my first listen, I can happily say this album did not disappoint! It is long but goddamn it's consistent.
  • Visit poster's website