cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/20/2022 21:46
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Kendrick impressions after two full listens:

It’s very shouty.
It’s very earnest.
It’s very musical theatre, and often hews a bit close to Eminem for comfort.
It is decidedly unfunky. In fact, the beats are largely a little too melodramatic and consciously “important” for my liking.
Ghostface has the best verse. In fact, it’s the best thing he’s done in years.
Kodak has the second best verse.
There are no hooks.
It’s still ridiculously compelling.

I don't listen to hip-hop post 2000, what about his rhymes??!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/21/2022 01:32
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
I don't listen to hip-hop post 2000, what about his rhymes??!!!!

Honestly, they're not his sharpest. I'm still a little mixed on the record, leaning towards positive, but unfortunately it... isn't getting better with repeats Confused Genuinely a little sad about it. Thought it'd be a great record.

I don't like coming here with records I didn't like, but 2022 hasn't been super kind to me recently—

Cocodrillo Turbo by Action Bronson
I'm not sure what happened to Bronson. I think he's just doing his own think on his own time in his own world. He has bars, but they're wildly sparing. It's like gnawing a bone for any little bits of meat left. (Which, is something he would rap about). When he's on his game, he's still legit a great rapper, but you don't hear him at his potential for more than a few bars here-and-there. Guest verses are high profile, but... still only okay. I don't have too many pet peeves in hip-hop, but this one commits the rhyme-word-with-same-word-later crime too often.

Neat vibe though. Different.

Deathfame by Quelle Chris
This ended up being a little too experimental for me. Chris is a talented guy, and you can tell he's just having fun/pushing boundaries/messing around in the studio because why not, but it's not always producing music I want to, well... listen to. I only have a few notes on my first listen of it, including 'weird baby-sounding beat' 'gurgle subwoof' and 'like hitting a car with a mallet'. There's at least three extremely good cuts in the mix though. Just not too big on it as a cohesive piece.

El Renacimiento by Carla Morrison
Carla let me down on this one. It's just overdramatic overwrought overproduced vanilla pop. Like Adele.

(Live) From Transmutation by Griff Spex

Hundred Year Darkness by AJ Suede &... Professor

Food For Thought by Che Noir

And okay, you cannot all be the self-proclaimed 'best'. Rolling Eyes Brilliant beats on all of these. MCs let them down. Particularly disappointed in Che Noir, whose previously record is still one of my favourites of the decade so far. None of these are 'bad', but they can def all be a bit better. AJ Suede's one to watch.

Mux by Julian Sartorius
Professional bean-can-hitting. Chair thunking. Doop blops. Boings.

From Above by Mogwaa
A-little-too-porcelain house, but it's an okay EP I guess.

New Belle & Sebastian is trying way too hard. Why is it so loud. And the lyrics are bad. What is going on. Sounds like they beat themselves to a creative pulp before making it. Maybe only enjoyed one or two cuts on it.

THE GOOD—

Kuni by LNDFK
Ridiculously chill jazz-hip-hop-ambient soup.

Emotional Eternal by Melody's Echo Chamber
Cigarette-cloud-pop. Love the dream blanket.

Diaspora Problems by Soul Glo
New Soul Glo was bombastic. Only got around to it this week. I'm not too into modern hardcore punk, but the musicianship here is awesome, and the songs are very well thought out. It's almost as if you dialled Death Grip's punk hip-hop sound way way way more to the punk side of things. Energy is insane. Still a bit too screamy for my taste, but still dug it.

Say Sue Me also has a good shoegaze-pop record out. I'd rec it.
The Good Ones also have a new record out, and I always recommend checking them out.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/21/2022 09:03
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Cocodrillo Turbo by Action Bronson
I'm not sure what happened to Bronson. I think he's just doing his own think on his own time in his own world. He has bars, but they're wildly sparing. It's like gnawing a bone for any little bits of meat left. (Which, is something he would rap about). When he's on his game, he's still legit a great rapper, but you don't hear him at his potential for more than a few bars here-and-there.Guest verses are high profile, but... still only okay. I don't have too many pet peeves in hip-hop, but this one commits the rhyme-word-with-same-word-later crime too often.

Neat vibe though. Different.

Roc Marciano’s verse is insane.
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2022 18:44
  • Post subject:
What a great set of releases so far this month!

Niineta by Joe Rainey
This feels like the kind of album that BEA would dig. This is Joe Rainey's debut record, released on 37d03d. Rainey is a Pow Wow singer from Minnesota and one of the only Ojibwe tribal members to still speak - let alone perform - in this language. He mixes traditional pow wow music with experimental/electronic production which really makes this a unique spiritual and cultural experience. Produced by Andrew Broder and released by Justin Vernon, this one is not to be missed!

This Is A Photograph by Kevin Morby
I've never been too big on Kevin Morby. He's the kind of musician who I always think I'll like a lot more than I actually do. But with This Is A Photograph, I think he's really made a masterpiece. It's a pseudo-concept album framed as songs that create kaleidoscopic images of his life and family history. The title track is a fucking banger and Stop Before I Cry is a total heartbreaker. Lots of love for this one.

Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar
I think I'm in the minority here, but I think Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers is fucking brilliant. And hold your fire - maybe his best work to-date. It's not clean and concise like his previous 3 records, but the chaos fits tightly into the messiness of truth and identity that Kendrick is trying to get at here. To me, this seems to be commenting on the divisions within American culture right now and through the lens of Kendrick's therapy, calls attention to the various morals and masks (pun clearly intended) that people hide behind that are stopping us from seeing the truth within each other. And excellent choice to use tap dancing as a framing device. I think this is my AOTY, something would have to be pretty epic to top this. And I foresee the zeitgeist around the album shifting as time goes on.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2022 19:18
  • Post subject:
ledaero wrote:

I think I'm in the minority here, but I think Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers is fucking brilliant.

I think this is my AOTY, something would have to be pretty epic to top this.

Agreed. I had a feeling Kendrick was going to lean a bit more hotep on this album and I'm here for it.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/24/2022 20:07
  • Post subject:
The new Craig Finn is the best thing he’s done since Boys and Girls in America, for anybody who cares.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/26/2022 05:52
  • Post subject:
you all should check this new Flanger Magazine album, has an appalachian folk + synth thing going, very very nice
https://flangermagazine.bandcamp.com/al...r-the-bend
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/26/2022 12:11
  • Post subject:
DaBoii the most consistent out.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2022 06:00
  • Post subject:
School year just ended. Here's a few things I've been listening to in the past week.

The Loser by Gospel

If you enjoyed their debut 17 years ago, then this probably worth checking out. Proggy, post-hardcore, and masturbatory, but in a good way.

Sunshine Factory by Uffie

So, two comebacks that I did not see coming. This is actually not bad. Palatable synth pop with a touch of quirkiness.

Jesus Was An Alien by Perel

Glad to see this album is on here, but, uh, we need to change this cover image. Very Happy (Also coincidentally the best album cover of the year.)

I've got some to add, and I look forward to being a little bit more active in my music listening during the summer.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/27/2022 09:04
  • Post subject:

Un Verano Sin Ti by Bad Bunny

^ album of the year so far. chill summer jams & party bangers, simply hit after hit.

Dataprism by Fax Gang

also my friends fax gang dropped an album today. delicious dreamy bitcrushed earworms