You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/26/2022 12:25
  • Post subject:
Quote:
as a first listen for me now I think there is a lot more to discover and unpack from future listens
There indeed is, I remember my first listen a few years back, thinking it's a fun rock album but nothing too special. It's one of my absolute favourites now after a dozen more listens. Great mix of styles and it's got one of the best guitar sounds I've ever heard.

(1)

Emergency Third Rail Power Trip by Rain Parade
Paisley Underground is a term I'd never heard before I started browsing various internet music communities. It's an early 80s style which revived the 60s psychedelia with a modern swing (jangly guitars, poppy structures, alternative/post punk aesthetics). I was slightly disappointed with The Days of Wine and Roses, the most popular album from that scene (or so I'm told). It's everything I love stylistically, but for some reason it hasn't fully clicked. This one's similarly good but not great experience. Wonderful jangly guitars, drenched in those neo-psychedelic sounds, solid poppy songs, but something's missing. None of the songs have truly grabbed me, the closest one was Look at Merri which sounded like an 80s try on the Beatles Revolver-era songwriting. So, to conclude, cool movement, good album(s), expected a bit more considering my love for the styles involved, but it's pretty good regardless. Perhaps it needs a few more listens to reveal its potential. 7.5/10

(2)
Oh man two of my all time favs in The Cold Vein and Endless Summer. Go with the latter, I'm told it's one of the best albums to get into glitchy ambient music.

(3)
Mixed + 2022

A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms...
Squadra Bianco - Night of the Illuminati
Doom:VS - Dead Words Speak
The Don Ellis Orchestra - Electric Bath
Cursed - II
Vangelis - Spiral
Real Lies - Lad Ash
Ode and Elegy - Ode and Elegy
Bladee & Ecco2K - Crest
Boldy James & Real Bad Man - Killing Nothing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2022 03:03
  • Post subject:

Absolutely by Madness

Ska after Jamaica's first wave is so far not my thing as a genre, especially when it doesn't have horns. As you might imagine, such a predisposition prevents me from enjoying this as much as I perhaps should. Absolutely absolutely holds up to their debut in quality, though, and is if anything slightly better and more consistent. I haven't been able to completely avoid grimacing while listening, which is par for the course with me and British second-wave ska (again, significantly ameliorated when there are horns - what were you thinking Madness?!?), but don't get me wrong, this record is pretty darn solid and a good listen even to biased ears like mine. 3/5.

~~~~~

2. This one's on my to-do list:

Electric Bath by Don Ellis Orchestra

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 19 (2 picks left)

M: Piñata Beats - Madlib
M2: Mutantes - Os Mutantes*
M3: True Blue - Madonna
N: Illmatic: Live From The Kennedy Center - Nas
O: Garden Of Delete - Oneohtrix Point Never
P: Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits - Patsy Cline
P2: It’s Almost Dry - Pusha T
R: Odyshape - The Raincoats
S: Caravanserai - Santana
S2: A Whisper And A Sigh - Syd Matters

*Last chance!
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 06/01/2022 09:20
  • Post subject:

Endless Summer by Fennesz

I can see why this could be an entry album into ambient glitch as I found it a relatively listenable album with a unique other world sound. At times it was nice, at times it was a bit annoying, and at times it was both. However I don't like much glitch or ambient, and putting them together here didn't really work for me.

I really enjoyed Os Mutantes so try Mutantes.

Mutantes by Os Mutantes

BEA Best Albums of 2001 (3 picks left)

10. The Blueprint by Jay-Z
13. Blackwater Park by Opeth
17. Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World
18. The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox
19. Drukqs by Aphex Twin
24. It's A Wonderful Life by Sparklehorse
26. Take Off Your Pants And Jacket by Blink-182
28. Things We Lost In The Fire by Low
30. Mutter by Rammstein
31. cLOUDDEAD by cLOUDDEAD
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/01/2022 16:31
  • Post subject:
(1)

Electric Bath by Don Ellis Orchestra
This was a lot of fun. It started with Indian Lady, a bit more ordinary samba big band jazz cut, just more noisy. It was good, but I expected a bit more from an allegedly classic experimental jazz album. Unfortunately, I didn't get anything more "experimental". Its reputation lies in the instrument choices, unusual time signatures and some uncommon choices when it comes to jazz songwriting. However, I wouldn't call this truly experimental or avantgarde or whatever term people like to use. It's actually more "exotic", if that makes sense. Still a great album, the songwriting is top-notch, and I'm starting to dig it more and more with each listen. Alone is a bit more frantic than the opener, while Turkish Bath dabbles more in Hindustani music. A wonderful 10-minute odyssey, it goes from sitar intro to spiritual jazz to a more typical and melodic big band section and back in no time. Great soloing by Don Ellis on his trumpet throughout the whole track. Open Beauty is another banger (there isn't a bad track if you haven't figured that out already). Ok, I lied, it's actually the complete opposite of a traditional "banger", a more atmospheric cut with its wobbling electric piano background. I didn't even notice how rich and dense the record was until Open Beauty provided a break. The closer New Horizons finishes the album on a high with its manic finale. Probably the best section of the album, wish there was more chaotic stuff like this. While not exactly what I was hoping for, it's a killer record. 8.5/10

(2)
The Cold Vein next, I think it's more your style than Fennesz

(3)
Mixed + 2022

A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms...
Cursed - II
Vangelis - Spiral
Donovan - Sunshine Supreme
Real Lies - Lad Ash
Bladee & Ecco2K - Crest

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2022 19:57
  • Post subject:

Mutantes by Os Mutantes

1969's self-titled is the third album I've heard by Os Mutantes, and it's a great one. I listened to it while going for a walk in the sun, which was a perfect fit. Very psychedelic and out there, but also has plenty of great tunes amongst the kaleidoscope of ideas. In that way, it fares a bit better than their third album in my estimation. But in truth, I need to spend more time with all their classic records and dig into the subversive lyrics a bit. On a surface-level, almost entirely musical assessment, I definitely recommend Mutantes to anyone who enjoys psychedelia or MPB. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. This is the only one I've heard:

Sunshine Superman by Donovan

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 19 (last pick)

M: Piñata Beats - Madlib
M2: HAARP - Muse
M3: True Blue - Madonna
N: Illmatic: Live From The Kennedy Center - Nas
O: Garden Of Delete - Oneohtrix Point Never
P: Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits - Patsy Cline
P2: It’s Almost Dry - Pusha T
R: Odyshape - The Raincoats
S: Caravanserai - Santana
S2: A Whisper And A Sigh - Syd Matters
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/04/2022 23:06
  • Post subject:
(1)

Sunshine Superman by Donovan
For reference, this is the first time I've heard anything by Donovan apart from this title track. I have periods where those 60s and 70s pop rock albums just don't fit my mood or something and I can barely go through diverse and interesting albums like A Wizard / A True Star or Freak Out!, never mind something seemingly simple like Sunshine Superman. Despite that, the deceivingly naive pop on Donovan's most famous release managed to reignite my love for great oldhead pop. It's sunshine, rain, summer, autumn, beach, picnic, pasture, fairy tale and an anecdote all at once. It captures so many moods and styles of its time. Rooted in pop, blues and folk, but veers and swerves and the journey is enjoyable throughout. Not a second is wasted, and I mean that. The strings, organs, keys, percussion, sitar bring the already fantastic compositions to new highs. The playing and production are incredible all across the board. Gentle and tasteful, never too flashy or out of place. Be it the folky guitars or previously mentioned instruments like sitar, keyboards etc. 11/10 arrangements and big props to all the musicians and engineers involved. The lyrics are great as well, don't think I've visited Genius in some time, but this warranted a careful, methodical 2nd listen. And it held up well. Favourites include the title track, Legend of a Girl Child Linda, Three King Fishers, Season of the Witch, Guinevere, Celeste. High 9/10.

(2)
It’s Almost Dry. It's almost Daytona level imo, curious to hear your assessment.

(3)
Mixed + 2022

Cursed - II
Vangelis - Spiral
Buffy Saint-Marie - Illuminations
Real Lies - Lad Ash
Bladee & Ecco2K - Crest

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash

Australia

• Posted: 06/06/2022 04:02
  • Post subject:

The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox

Some interesting spacey beats and production, but not a happy the future is bright type of spaciness, more a gritty foreboding spaciness. From one listen a lot of the lyrics were interesting as well. Yet despite the interesting beats and production and lyrics I didn't find the album all that interesting on a personal level of the songs grabbing me. Very consistent all the way through with no low points but no individual track I would really come back to either - maybe the opening track Iron Galaxy if I had to choose one, with maybe Raspberry Fields and Pigeon slightly better than the rest. It has it's own uniqueness, especially I imagine for the time, and I can see why it's well regarded, but it's not an album for everyone, and with my limited appreciation of hip hop it's not really an album for me. I'll give it a high 7/10, and 47/63 for the year.

Illuminations is the only one I've heard and it's good enough to recommend hearing.

Illuminations by Buffy Sainte-Marie

BEA Best Albums of 2001 (2 picks left)

19. Drukqs by Aphex Twin
30. Mutter by Rammstein
31. cLOUDDEAD by cLOUDDEAD
32. Asleep In The Back by Elbow
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/07/2022 15:05
  • Post subject:
(1)

Illuminations by Buffy Sainte-Marie
I was expecting a good folk record. Didn't think this would be psychedelic and even avant-garde at times. Though looking at the cover font, you might suspect something fishy. Liked the more gentle acoustic songs, loved the more psychedelic and weird ones, was often indifferent towards the rock cuts. It took some time for me to start vibing with Buffy's style, especially vocals, but around the third song I knew this was a good album. Better Find Out For Yourself - The Angel (3rd to 8th song) run is the best, all fabulous tunes. Better Find Out For Yourself is a great folk/country rock track, really liked that one. The opening song, which is apparently by far the most popular, wasn't actually that impressive to me. Guess I was still adjusting, perhaps it'll grow on me with subsequent listens. High 7.5/10

(2)
Let's try another unique and ahead of its time hip hop classic, cLOUDDEAD.

(3)
Mixed + 2022

Cursed - II
Vangelis - Spiral
Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land
Bladee & Ecco2K - Crest
Angel Olsen - Big Time

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash

Australia

• Posted: 06/08/2022 10:18
  • Post subject:

cLOUDDEAD by cLOUDDEAD

Surreal is the word that kept coming to mind while listening to this. A unique listen - I can think of acts that may have been influenced by this but I don't know of another album exactly like this. Experimental and abstract with songs that are sound like a construction of various ideas from ambient to psychedelic weirdness to fun (but almost a creepy fun) hip hop with strange lyrics full of non-sequiturs that might make sense to them but not to me. Of course with that many ideas not everything worked but it was a fascinating listen all the way through. 7.5/10, and 47/63 for the year.

It feels like it's been there a while and I wouldn't mind giving it a spin so A Silver Mt. Zion next.

He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Ligh...r Mt. Zion

BEA Best Albums of 2001 (last pick - and the album I would have picked first for me is still there)

19. Drukqs by Aphex Twin
30. Mutter by Rammstein
32. Asleep In The Back by Elbow
38. Labor Days by Aesop Rock
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2022 22:53
  • Post subject:

It's Almost Dry by Pusha T

I love Pusha T's music. The only reason I hadn't listened to this yet is that I haven't started 2022, other than albums others have shown me in person. It's Almost Dry doesn't quite stack up to Daytona (and possibly not My Name Is My Name either, but I'm unusual in how much I love that record), but it's another great effort in the way we've come to expect from the G.O.O.D. Music label president. Namely, one full of the hardest, most creative coke rap bars you'll find anywhere, all over inventive, top-flight production. The key difference between this album and its predecessor is that it's longer and a bit less focused, reintegrating the poppier elements that he had jettisoned (particularly on Scrape It Off). It's also mildly front-loaded. However, that's not to say there are any weak tracks here. It's Almost Dry is rock-solid from start to finish, and while it may be polished, the steely energy of his delivery is vintage Pusha, and has an intensity that ironically feels raw and uncut. Yuugh. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Listen to what is arguably Jay-Z's finest hour:

The Blueprint by Jay-Z

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 20 (5 picks left)

S3: At Mister Kelly’s - Sarah Vaughan And Her Trio
S4: Halica: Bliss Out v.11 - Sweet Trip
T: Wilder - The Teardrop Explodes
T2: Half-Mute - Tuxedomoon
U: The Four Horsemen - Ultramagnetic MC’s
V: Discover America - Van Dyke Parks
W: Why Can’t We Be Friends? - WAR
Y: Stranger - Yung Lean
&: 1st - 不失者 (Fushitsusha)*
V/A: Mi Media Naranja - Labradford

*Last chance!