Metal albums... how did you get into them?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 11/16/2011 04:11
  • Post subject: Re: Metal albums... how did you get into them?
Chemical Smile wrote:
I think it also depends on how heavy you like your music. As Gary said, Metal does cover a very wide range of music. Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Led Zep and GnR are, in my opinion, closer to Rock than metal. Metallica (80's albums), Slayer, Pantera etc are all noticably harder than Rock or Hard-Rock. I agree with you Xavygravy, i don't mind if the music is heavy as anything, but i still want something with some melody. For this reason i found an album like Slayer's 'Reign In Blood' very hard to enjoy, whereas i am a big fan of Killswitch Engage - they mix quite extreme (for me) screaming with very melodic, uprising choruses.
The best option is to approach Metal as you would any other genre - listen to as much variety within the genre as you can, and you'll eventually find something you like, whether it's Thrash, old-school Metal, Speed Metal or even the heavier Black/Death metal.
There's already been some good suggestions of bands to check out, here are my favourite Metal albums:

Iron Maiden - 7th Son of a 7th Son
Metallica - Ride the Lightening (my favourite Metal album of all time!)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Deftones - Deftones
Killswitch Engage - End Of Heartache
Cancer Bats - Hail Destroyer

oh, and a word of warning: keep well away from Cannibal Corpse! Twisted Evil

Iron Maiden - 7th Son of a 7th Son

This would be one of the first albums I would suggest for getting into metal Xavygravy

You will have 2 build up a tolerance before you try 2 listen 2 death metal

I'm serious dude.

Here is the title track (live)

If you at least watch from about 4:00 on you will see one of the numerous reasons why Iron Maiden are my favorite band live.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Link

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 11/16/2011 06:06
  • Post subject: Re: Metal albums... how did you get into them?
GARY wrote:

Here is the title track (live)

If you at least watch from about 4:00 on you will see one of the numerous reasons why Iron Maiden are my favorite band live.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Link

See, I don't mind this kind of stuff. I can hear a melody!
According to that 'metal family tree' you posted (GARY), right now I already like Early Metal, Hard Rock, Shock Rock, Pop Metal, Punk, Grunge... and jumping straight to Thrash Metal was probably a little ridiculous. I'll just work my way down, starting from the heavier rock stuff.

I'll get 'round to listening to lots of the suggestions everyone has posted. Thanks heaps!
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2011 19:56
  • Post subject:
Really, that "Family Tree" that Gary posted would be the most helpful to anyone wanting to learn about metal. Personally, I think the whole thing works more like a "flow chart" than a family tree. Just start at the top...sample those bands. IF you like those bands, THEN you might try something from the next grouping.

Sampling metal bands is a lot like sampling sushi. Start out simple. Try a California Roll. Then, if you like that, you can get more exotic.

But, remember, you'd never try sushi if you don't like rice. So, if you don't tend to like highly amplified distortion, ephatic beats, guitar and drum solos, and just overall heavy loudness, then don't even attempt to listen to metal. It won't be for you.