General Film Chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/06/2022 02:16
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
I had been thinking lately that my 10/10s were getting absolutely out of hand from 2020 onwards, but now that I've laid them out like this, it feels a lot more reasonable.

https://twitter.com/zachbmarsh/status/1...w&s=19

Quote:
Yeah, I'll admit that I've gotten a lot more strict with my 5-star movies, and there are currently only 6 from this decade (with the high possibility of most of them leaving eventually):

... maybe my ratings are overly harsh.... Anxious I've only given one perfect score to a film from this decade so far (but 36 this century).

Quote:
I'll admit that it's weird for Lukas Dhont to show up again, because when I started my debut feature The Squish Trilogy in early 2019, my decision to avoid miserablism as much as possible was based on Girl dropping on Netflix that March, and me realizing that, as much as the things depicted reflect my feelings, that there had to be more than that depicted as the trans lifestyle.

I probably will give his new movie another chance, but I can't say I'm not nervous.

Anyway, I liked The Square when it came out, but looking back, it was more than a little silly, and based on dispatches over the past week, I don't think that Ruben has gotten any more subtle.

I'm under the impression Close is nowhere near the spectrum of Girl (which, I also wasn't too fond of for similar reasons). I've avoided spoilers for Close, but I am aware there's a bit of an 'emotional kick' somewhere.

Triangle of Sadness sounds nowhere near subtle Laughing From what I understand, it's unabashedly crude. (Plus, it gets absolutely disgusting). I know you're referring to the plot being ridiculously on-the-nose, but if The Square indicates anything, well...

I still like The Square— I gave it a 3.5/5— and it has at least three brilliant scenes— but it's nowhere near as tight as it should've been (even with a lot of the plots being squeezed). But, it's still a strong effort, and I understand why it won the Palme D'or. The fact he's now a x2 winner feels out of nowhere though. I think it's the most surprising winner since Dheepan.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2022 03:15
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I SHOULD add that, since I posted that earlier tonight, I finally finished History of the Seattle Mariners, which is another 5 for me <3

In any case, apparently my mom wants to see Top Gun Maverick, which means I'll be seeing it a second time with her. I'm also gonna maybe see the Elvis movie with my her, which will be the final movie I watch with her before I movie to SF and retransition.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2022 18:44
  • Post subject:
Everything Everywhere All at Once has swept the Hollywood Critics' Association's mid-season awards.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/02/2022 13:49
  • Post subject:
Kate Bush is having quite the month.

Unfortunately, I'm under the impression this is going to end up being pushed in order for Netflix to get rights for popular music for free.

Happy Kate Bush is getting a late career spotlight though.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 07/10/2022 02:28
  • Post subject:
Well, it's official. I've bought the ticket, and on Tuesday, Everything Everywhere All at Once will become the movie I have seen in a cinema more than any other.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2022 22:27
  • Post subject:
Some thoughts halfway through 2022..

I mentioned my fondness upthread for The Batman, EEAA1, and Kimi.

Scream/Scream 5 - Enjoyable though nothing special. Mostly what you'd expect, given the Scream formula doesn't change, but rather updates itself with modern horror trends. I like how it has two titles, as it's indecisive on whether it's a sequel or a reboot, one of its many self-referencing jokes.

Turning Red - One word to describe this movie...obnoxious. Did not like the main character one bit.

X - I think this is my favorite movie of the year so far, a big compliment considering I'm not a big horror fan. However, X is a reminder that horror can be much more than watching teens and young adults getting brutally murdered. Don't get me wrong, Ti West put plenty of that in here, but he also explored other themes that made for a rich viewing that I look forward to experiencing again someday. And his calculation for suspense was perfectly on point. And for good measure, a random Fleetwood Mac song added a nice touch.

Apollo 10 1/2 - The moon landing, the social upheaval of the 60s, seen through the eyes of Linklater's semi-fictional 10-year-old self. I wish this got more buzz, it's a solid movie and def worth a watch. Not his best film to date, but he hasn't lost his touch.

AmbuLAnce - This movie was non-stop action yet it still felt like a drag. Michael Bay still hasn't learned how to balance storytelling, character-building, and his trademarked frenetic action sequences. He gets a few of these elements right, for I liked AmbuLAnce more than some of his other works. But it still just barely gets a passing grade. Oddly enough, my favorite scene was when the brothers sang a random karaoke duet as they're driving the ambulance while getting chased by the entire LAPD.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - I liked Jim Carrey's performance and some of Knuckles. The rest of the movie kinda sucked.

The Northman - A good historical epic, based on the story that inspired Hamlet. I liked it, didn't love it. Don't have much to add.

Men - This one was a head-scratcher. We have a shallow female character moving from one instance of male oppression to the next, as if it's trying to say something. But it ends up saying nothing, as the third act simply takes takes the same theme into the supernatural realm, which featured some creatively grotesque imagery, but had no footing to stand on. In sum, Men was interesting, but empty. Weakest Garland film to date.

Jurassic World Dominion - I could go on for a while, but let's just call it a total train-wreck.

Crimes of the Future - Glad to see Cronenberg is back after a long hiatus. He delivered as promised. CotF is a thoughtful sci-fi, the kind of movie I gravitate towards.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 07/11/2022 00:30; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2022 23:46
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I guess I should post my top 50 of the year so far. I've already seen almost 90 movies this year, so everything on here I really like (and the top 40 I genuinely love). I don't actually know how to rank a lot of these, but I will just say that I've really liked 2022 in movies so far.

https://letterboxd.com/cubbierill/list/2022/
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2022 06:41
  • Post subject:
I just watched the first episode of "The Rehearsal" by Nathan Fielder, and I'm absolutely floored. The man is nuts.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/19/2022 01:17
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I just watched the first episode of "The Rehearsal" by Nathan Fielder, and I'm absolutely floored. The man is nuts.

Likewise.

So happy he had that gut-punch at the end.

The talent of the team he got for this project is insane.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/02/2022 23:22
  • Post subject:
Final season of Atlana is dropping next month.

Very unorthodox release schedule considering S3's dates, but I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.
  • Visit poster's website