Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2022 01:00
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Quote:
Filth by Swans/1983 (idk cant remember)

I'm fine with you passing on all those albums in that list EXCEPT this one. Razz

Filth by Swans

ha! I may cover it. BUT I don't think it very directly influenced thrash sound. Sludge and extreme metal more broadly, yes. Idk. Will revisit just for fun whether I mention it as part of project or not.

-----------

OH! And I mistakenly forgot to address your reply about whether or not Mercyful fate is first wave black metal and what genres I'd place them in... And y'know I need to listen to their first EP for the first time as well as their 2 most famous and first LPs need a revisit. I remember them being Heavy Metal. Boring perhaps, but just really good heavy metal with satanic themes and early kinda corpse paint. Maybe some elements of thrash? idk, I need tor revisit.

Haven't watched that video of the black metal discussion. But I will.

Was relistening to early Hellhammer and I was struck by how obviously influenced they were by Discharge. Got me thinking/re-realizing how much really nasty and dirty hardcore punk influenced the so called first and second waves of BM - very very clear with Venom, Hellhammer and Bathory. But also a lot of the elements of like darkthrone. Crust Punk band Amebix even made an album that when I hear it sounds like perhaps the earliest "pure" black metal album experience. talking about this album which I will get to during my thrash overview even if I have to break the rules to cover because it ain't thrash:

Arise! by Amebix

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2022 19:09
  • Post subject:
I've been away awhile... got distracted a little. Now, back at it.

THE NEXT SET OF PUNK AND/OR METAL RELEASES THAT HELPED SET THE GROUNDWORK FOR THRASH METAL

But first, I will start by backtracking a little and covering some albums I missed from 1980 and 1981 when going through those years chronologically

Wild Cat by Tygers Of Pan Tang
Wild Cat by The Tygers of Pan Tang/23 August 1980

The more I listened, the more I appreciated this one. Initially I thought it was a bit bland and I thought the singer here on their debut (I know they had a change for next album) was, at times, lifeless. With more listens, while I never came to adore this sound and album, I did come to appreciate it. It’s a good, hard rocking, heavy metal album. Not much differentiates it much from other artists of the time and indeed maybe I am not quite so warm to it because I am listening to it after a lot of Saxon and Maiden and other artists of similar ilk.

Indeed my general slight enjoyment of this album even after several listens has slowed me a bit because what else can I say? I don’t have many feelings here. I think the last track is great and a bit eerie and has a cool atmosphere and… outside of that I remember some cool solos and riffs. Vocals never are remarkable, but passable. It’s alright.

----- ---- ---- --- --- --- -- -- -- -- - - - - - -- -- -- -- --- --- --- ---- ---- -----

Fire Down Under by Riot
Fire Down Under by Riot/9 February 1981

Not much to say about this one. They have a sharp, pretty muscular badass sound and I like it. I realized as I listened to I had heard years ago their ThunderSteel LP from 1988 a few times. And its fantastic speed metal. This earlier album is much less intense, still quite swaggering and great NWOBHM sound nonetheless.

After listening to this I went back and listened to the 1988 LP again and I much prefer their later forays into more speedy and slightly more “extreme” metal territory (thrashy, power metal kinda stuff.).

Anyway, not much to say here. It’s solid.

----- - - - - - -- -- -- -- --- --- --- ---- ---- ----- ---- ---- --- --- --- -- -- -- -- - - - - - -----

The Nightcomers by Holocaust
The Nightcomers by Holocaust/April 1981

I had never heard of this album nor band, and of course, I had never heard it or any part of it. I went into this as blind as possible and only knew it was a metal album.

As far as first impressions go, this is one of the better ones. This album kicks. fucking. ASS! The songs are great, the production is great, each member of the band has their moments to shine, the sound and style is so cool, and the vocalist is just my kinda vocalist.

I love how punk rock this is. It’s one of the rare NWOBHM albums I’ve heard where I can hear a distinctly gnarly, snotty, brash “punkyness” in the guitars and in the vocals and the lyrics. I heard some slight echoes of the Stooges and New York Dolls in this (Iggy Pop came to mind often with the vocal delivery in particular.) And the lyrics are sick. Most obviously on the stand out track “Death or Glory” I hear a misanthropic, dangerous anger. But not just on that track, but all over the place.

And the production is great and it accentuates the badass big thunderous guitar riffs, sharp and not-to-showy guitar solos, the thick bass work and the pounding and varied drum work as well. Not sure if this was more recently remastered or if this is the sound they achieved in the original release. Either way, its awesome and sets this above a lot of rock albums of that era.

Not much else to say. I listened to this 3 times through back-to-back-to-back, it was that addictive, badass, and just…cool! Thanks, Repo for ensuring I didn’t leave this one behind. Right up there with Saxon as the best recent discovery for me personally in Metal/Punk.
-- --- -- ---- -- ----- -- ---- -- --- -- -- -- -

I'll leave this here for now with just these first 3 Repo recommendations. I'll get going on 1982 at last in my next post. Stuff like Bad Brains, Rudimentary Peni, Discharge, etc will be covered. Stay tuned... if ya wanna. (oh and yes I have incorporated these 3 albums into my ranked tiers. Will post that later on with next big update.

For now, peace!

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2022 21:30
  • Post subject:
Nice!!! Psyched you checked them out!

Holocaust by The Nightcomers is one my faves from that scene too! \m/
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 09/30/2022 16:45
  • Post subject:
Sorry I haven't been around here in awhile. I suppose the reason has been too much punk and metal in a short time leadiong to slight burn out. As well as a lot of distractions.

I am reinvigorated, however, and I should get back to this never-ending pre-thrash listening project soon. 1982 and 1983 are the remaining years to cover before I jump into Thrash proper. I will expand it out beyond Thrash I think.

See you later and soon.

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/30/2022 16:58
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Sorry I haven't been around here in awhile. I suppose the reason has been too much punk and metal in a short time leadiong to slight burn out. As well as a lot of distractions.

I am reinvigorated, however, and I should get back to this never-ending pre-thrash listening project soon. 1982 and 1983 are the remaining years to cover before I jump into Thrash proper. I will expand it out beyond Thrash I think.

See you later and soon.

Yay! Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2022 00:08
  • Post subject:
Okay, it took a couple months, but this project is back!

THE NEXT SET OF PUNK AND/OR METAL RELEASES THAT HELPED SET THE GROUNDWORK FOR THRASH METAL

------and now back to the chronological format and now finally getting into 1982. Lowkey, 1982 was the year I was most looking forward to. You’ll see why soon I think… starting with perhaps the pre-project odds-on-favorite to get top spot in rankings, BAD BRAINS’ LEGENDARY DEBUT!--------

Bad Brains by Bad Brains
Bad Brains by Bad Brains/5 February 1982

I’m stymied here. I am not sure its writer’s block, or perhaps just burnout on writing about somewhat similar music and writing notes about similar albums and just running out of words.

This is obviously a massively important and groundbreaking album and it is an exhilarating, heavy, fast, barrage of pure badass punk rock aggression. There isn’t much else to say.

I love this. I will say that in comparison to some of the other classics of that era this has a slow or sequencing issue to my ears. It’s the long reggae track that really derails it, but also the shorter reggae tracks – while quicker in and out – still disrupt the flow. Obviously the sudden 100 MPH down to 15MPH drops at 3 points on this album also help accentuate the whiplash-inducing uniqueness of the band. Still, I came to a point when I skipped a couple tracks the last time through, and that is very rare for me.

Because the punk on here is perhaps my favorite ever. There is a metal heaviness with these huge and unrelenting proto-thrash riffs that I adore. The vocals are manic and genius. The guitars and the drums stutter and stop and blast out with such awesome fury. The music here is GOD Tier when its Bad Brains’ brand of Punk. The reggae stuff is fine. Just fine, and “fine” is a step down from “perfect punk”

I was stymied also by this album because I really thought I’d love it to the highest degree and tier. I think I am about to do the unthinkable and place it a tier lower than Minor Threat and Damaged. This would have been unthinkable a few months back. I guess I finally came to a point where I just couldn’t deny that the non-punk stuff really derails the perfect propulsive genius of the rest.

Still, if you ignore those 3 non-punk songs, this is an album with No bad tracks and many of the best rock songs ever. Such as “Pay To Cum” (although the version on Black Dots is better), “Attitude”, “Banned In D.C.”, “Big Take Over”, “F.V.K.”, “I”, “The Regulator etc. This is a STACKED album. Utterly brilliant when rocking out.
----- ---- ---- --- --- --- -- -- -- -- - - - - - -- -- -- -- --- --- --- ---- ---- -----

Filth Hounds Of Hades by Tank Filth Hounds of Hades by Tank/5 March 1982

I added this to the queue because it looked Interesting. After listening I can say I wasn’t wrong in my instinct. It was pretty good. They have a nice sound, the guitars are heavy and there are some good riffs. I wasn’t smitten but didn’t get bored and wasn’t upset I checked it out.

The combination of my mood these last weeks and the fact that I can’t hear something very distinctive here has lead me to making this the entirety of my comment on this good NWOBHM/Heavy Metal/Hard Rock album.

Blood & Thunder by More
Blood & Thunder by More/May 1982
Okay, starting off the album with a manly belch followed by a thick hard rocking riff was goddamned ballsy! This was an indicator of what was to come: 40 minutes of passionate and kick ass heavy metal with loads of thick and catchy riffs and some seriously cool, almost soulful lead vocal work.

I liked this quite a bit. Not something that I see myself coming back to tones. Nor did I hear any feature or sound that really set it apart or was in line with my tastes too much. Still, just a cool and not-talked-about-enough hard rock album with lots of heart.
----- ---- --- -- - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- - -- --- ---- ----- ---- --- -- - -- --- ---- -----

Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing by Discharge
Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing by Discharge/May 1982
In my head I keep comparing this to Bad Brains’ debut I wrote sloppily about just recently. Now, outside of both being very hardcore and ahead of their time punk albums released within 3 months of each other, they aren’t really very similar stylistically. I don’t think I SHOULD be comparing them, but too late now. This album’s sound and style is just as great as Bad Brains. Less quirky, more balls to the wall and heavier and more pissed. Bad Brains are more varied in their sound and style obviously. These two bands also came up in completely different scenes and countries and were attacking the status quo in different ways. I think I was comparing them because for Bad Brains there was a slight diminishing of returns. I still love it and all but I lost a smidge of sheer passionate joy in listening to it. But with this one, it finally clicked.

I mean don’t get me wrong I respected and even quite liked this album over the last few years before listening for this project. I very much admired the fact that it may very well be the most influential hardcore punk album ever made – having been instrumental in the creation of Crust Punk, D Beat (obviously), Grindcore, Black Metal, Thrash, etc etc etc… this album’s DNA is in almost every extreme metal movement to come in the following decade plus.

But this time, or these last few times listening I was struck much more than ever with how incredible this thing sounds. Yes, it’s “monotonous” insofar as its basically the same beat and formula over and over. But it overcomes that hinderance by being a purified and short blast of pure adrenaline and anarcho protest. And by sounding so intoxicatingly heavy and nightmarishly grim and brutal. This thing holds up all these 4 decades later as a frighteningly heavy and intense experience.

The song highlights are here, but not as much as with other absolutely classic albums touched upon. “Protest and Survive” has a riff that can probably awaken dead freedom fighters from their graves. “Q: And Children A: And Children” is horrifying and feels like the band is forcing your eyes open to look at and confront the most despicable evil in the world. And there are many other kick ass songs … hell, I’d say that this album is nothing but kickass songs full of full-on proto-thrash speed and aggression, anarcho-punk messages, in-your-face pissed off vocal work, and just there is not a dull moment to be found. Even ignoring the influence of this album and band and just listening to this in a vacuum (as much as is possible), it’s undeniable this is one of the greatest and most harsh punk albums ever released and should be required listening for every human being on earth. Okay, maybe that last part was a bit hyperbolic.

Troops Of Tomorrow by Exploited
Troops of Tomorrow by The Exploited/May 1982
Okay, so I don’t have much to sat about this album. Nor much to say about the band or the sound. Maybe I just listened at a bad time when I wasn’t really vibing with this form of heavy, aggressive UK punk. But I came away from it not feeling like I wasted 30 some odd minutes, but also not feeling like I had much to say. I have yet to find a more brash, so-called “UK82” release that I love. The sound of the overdriven guitar riffs and somewhat metallic swag with the pissed off and snotty UK punk is cool in theory and even in practice, but nothing else here really blew me away.

I liked the title track’s message and slowed down, slowly building sound and style – simple as hell yet catchy and anthemic and powerful. There were some other cool jams here. Overall, it was fine, passable hardcore-ish punk rock.
----- ---- ---- --- --- --- -- -- -- -- - - - - - -- -- -- -- --- --- ---- ---- -----

Farce by Rudimentary Peni
Farce EP by Rudimentary Peni/1982

This is the second EP by the Great Rudimentary Peni. It’s 15 minutes long. And, for my money, it’s perhaps the greatest EP I’ve yet heard for this project. Wait, the best OUTSIDE of the first 2 Minor Threat EPs, of course. This record just has *something* super special. The guitars are sharp and thick and kickass. The songs and are short and biting. The atmosphere is hellish and raging and irresistible. But, I think the thing that absolutely sets it apart above everything else – in other words the trait here that is better than just about anything else I have heard – is the fucking vocals!

The vocalist is a fucking maniac named Nick Blinko. I think he actually did have some super major mental health issues. And he had a fierceness and rage in his delivery that is unmatched. His emotion and his vocals cut through everything else happening in the recordings and in your life and just hit hard! The vocals mixed with the A-tier punk songwriting with the darker, deathrock flourishes and the anarcho-punk themes delivered in almost a poetic and mysterious way, make this a total fucking classic.

I have come to LOVE, even ADORE, Rudimentary Peni sense starting this project. I respected them before and always meant to do a deeper dive. They deserved a deep dive. They may be my favorite band to come out of the UK in this era of Punk (including legends like Joy Division and The Cure and Discharge). There is just something darkly subversive and freeing about their style and aesthetic and album art (also drawn by the lead singer Blinko) and everything else.

I can’t recommend this EP enough.
----- ---- ---- --- --- --- -- -- -- -- - - - - - -- -- -- -- --- --- ---- ---- -----

MASTERFUL, PERFECT, ALL TIME GREAT, FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAME, AMEN
(unranked, alphabetical. Top-most tier are basically just too special to rank right now):

Damaged by Black Flag (November 16th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Damaged I”

Minor Threat by Minor Threat (compilation of first 2 EPs released June 1984, EPs released June 1981/August 1981) – exemplary track, “Minor Threat"

NEAR-PERFECT, ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL LISTENING:
3. Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing by Discharge (May 1982) – exemplary track, “Protest and Survive”
4. Bad Brains by Bad Brains (February 5th, 1982) – exemplary track, “Attitude”
5. Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables by Dead Kennedys (September 2nd, 1980) – exemplary track, “Holiday In Cambodia”.
6. Welcome To Hell by Venom (December 1981) – exemplary track, “Red Light Fever”
7. Stained Class by Judas Priest (February 10th, 1978) - exemplary track, "Exciter"
8. Farce EP by Rudimentary Peni (1982) – Exemplary track, “Cosmetic Plague”
9. Static Age by The Misfits (Recorded Jan-Feb, 1978) - exemplary track, "We Are 138"

JUST FUDGIN’ GREAT
10. It’s Alive by Ramones (Recorded December 31st, 1977) – exemplary track, “Sheena Is A Punk Rocker”
11. Unleashed In The East by Judas Priest (Recorded 10-15 February 1979) – exemplary track “Victim of Changes”
12. Lightning To The Nations by Diamond Head (October 3rd, 1980) – exemplary track, “Am I Evil?”
13. Black Dots by Bad Brains (Recorded June 1979) - exemplary track, "Pay To Cum”
14. Denim and Leather by Saxon (October 5th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Denim and Leather”
15. Killers by Iron Maiden (February 2nd, 1981) – exemplary track “Wrathchild”
16. The Nightcomers by Holocaust (April 1981) – exemplary track, “Death or Glory
17. Strong Arm of the Law by Saxon (November 14th, 1980) – exemplary track, “To Hell and Back Again”
18. Ace Of Spades by Motörhead (November 8th, 1980) – exemplary track, “Ace Of Spades”
19. Omega Sessions by Bad Brains (Recorded 1980, released 1997) – exemplary track, “I Against I”
20. Why EP by Discharge (May 1981) – exemplary track, “Ain’t No Feeble Bastard”

VERY GOOD with HINTS of GREATNESS
21. Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden (April 14th, 1980) - exemplary track, "Phantom of the Opera"
22. Overkill by Motörhead (April 24th, 1979) - exemplary track, "Overkill"
23. No Sleep ‘Til Hammersmith by Motörhead (Recorded 28 to 30 March, 1981) – exemplary track, “Motorhead”
24. Wheels of Steel by Saxon (April 1980) - exemplary track, "747 (Strangers In The Night)"
25. Rudimentary Peni EP by Rudimentary Peni (1981) – exemplary track, “Teenage Time Killer”
26. Demolition War EP by Subhumans (1981) – exemplary track, “Drugs of Youth”
27. Fight Back EP by Discharge/May 1980) – exemplary track, “You Take Part In Creating The System”.
28. (GI) by The Germs (October 1979) - exemplary track, "Lexicon Devil"
29. Sessions 1981-83 by Void (Recorded between Nov. 1981 and June 1982) – exemplary track, “Dehumanized” all 3 versions, really.
30. In God We Trust, Inc EP by Dead Kennedys (November 1981) - exemplary track, "Nazi Punks Fuck Off!"
31. New Hope for the Wretched by Plasmatics (March 1980) - exemplary track, "Dream Lover"
32. All My Friends Are Dead by The Consumers (1977) – exemplary track, “Anti Anti Anti”
33. Realities of War EP by Discharge/March 31st, 1980) – exemplary track, “Society’s Victim”
34. Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne EP by Charged G.B.H. (September 12th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Necrophilia”
35. Breaker by Accept (March 16th, 1981) – Exemplary track, “Run If You Can”
36. T.S.O.L. EP by T.S.O.L. (1981) – exemplary track, “Abolish Government/Silent Majority”
37. St. Valentine’s Day Massacre EP by MotorheadGirlSchool (February 1981) – exemplary track, “Please Don’t Touch”
38. Fire Down Under by Riot (February 9th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Swords and Tequila”

these are…GOOD… not bordering on great to my ears. But good. Lay off me! lol
39. Angel Witch by Angel Witch (December 1980) – Exemplary track, “Angel Witch” (I listened to this again and while my opinion didn’t change much I will say I appreciate it slightly more. Still don’t fully get the hype, however – it moved up one spot in my rankings, so that is nice.)
40. Blood & Thunder by More (May 1982) – exemplary track, “Blood and Thunder”
41. Condensed Flesh EP by Void (Recorded 1981, released in 1992) – exemplary track, “War Hero”
42. Filth Hounds of Hades by Tank (March 5th, 1982) – exemplary track, “(He Fall In Love With A) Stormtrooper”
43. Dance With Me by T.S.O.L. (June 1981) – exemplary track, “Funeral March”
44. Troops of Tomorrow by The Exploited (May 1982) – exemplary track, “Troops of Tomorrow”
45. Wild Cat by Tygers of Pan Tang (August 23rd, 1980) – exemplary track, “Insanity”

------ ----- ----- ---- ---- ---- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---- ---- ---- ----- ----- ------

Okay, that is all for this post. I rushed a lot of these “reviews”. I just wasn’t feeling major creative juices in describing some of these – especially the hard rock/metal stuff. I will rise again and do better. For now, see you folks around and let me know your thoughts and disagreements. Oh and yeah this ranking list has been updated and ALREADY at just 45 entries it’s getting out of hand in terms of length lol! I can only imagine the monstrosity it will be when we get to 60 or 70 listed.

I'll be back next episode with more 1982 GOODIES from the likes of The Shitlickers, Negative Approach, Raven, Die Kreuzen, maybe more Accept and Dead LKennedys (depending on how LOOOONG i wanna make the next post.) and more! Smile

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2022 15:00
  • Post subject:
Quote:

Blood & Thunder by More

Okay, starting off the album with a manly belch followed by a thick hard rocking riff was goddamned ballsy! This was an indicator of what was to come: 40 minutes of passionate and kick ass heavy metal with loads of thick and catchy riffs and some seriously cool, almost soulful lead vocal work.

I liked this quite a bit. Not something that I see myself coming back to tones. Nor did I hear any feature or sound that really set it apart or was in line with my tastes too much. Still, just a cool and not-talked-about-enough hard rock album with lots of heart.

Soooo good! I swear it foreshadows grunge just a bit!

Glad u liked it! One of my favorite NWOBHM albums! \m/
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2022 18:33
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Quote:

Blood & Thunder by More

Soooo good! I swear it foreshadows grunge just a bit!

Glad u liked it! One of my favorite NWOBHM albums! \m/

Yeah it is dope. I didn't notice the Grunge sounds in my couple of listens, but it is a super kickass album.

Next batch is when I finally get to the second Venom album, the classic self-titled EP from Mercyful Fate, and more goodies. I have been chomping at the bit to get to late 1982 releases.

• Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/08/2022 19:08
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

MASTERFUL, PERFECT, ALL TIME GREAT, FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAME, AMEN
(unranked, alphabetical. Top-most tier are basically just too special to rank right now):

Damaged by Black Flag (November 16th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Damaged I”

Minor Threat by Minor Threat (compilation of first 2 EPs released June 1984, EPs released June 1981/August 1981) – exemplary track, “Minor Threat"

NEAR-PERFECT, ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL LISTENING:
3. Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing by Discharge (May 1982) – exemplary track, “Protest and Survive”
4. Bad Brains by Bad Brains (February 5th, 1982) – exemplary track, “Attitude”
5. Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables by Dead Kennedys (September 2nd, 1980) – exemplary track, “Holiday In Cambodia”.
6. Welcome To Hell by Venom (December 1981) – exemplary track, “Red Light Fever”
7. Stained Class by Judas Priest (February 10th, 1978) - exemplary track, "Exciter"
8. Farce EP by Rudimentary Peni (1982) – Exemplary track, “Cosmetic Plague”
9. Static Age by The Misfits (Recorded Jan-Feb, 1978) - exemplary track, "We Are 138"

JUST FUDGIN’ GREAT
10. It’s Alive by Ramones (Recorded December 31st, 1977) – exemplary track, “Sheena Is A Punk Rocker”
11. Unleashed In The East by Judas Priest (Recorded 10-15 February 1979) – exemplary track “Victim of Changes”
12. Lightning To The Nations by Diamond Head (October 3rd, 1980) – exemplary track, “Am I Evil?”
13. Black Dots by Bad Brains (Recorded June 1979) - exemplary track, "Pay To Cum”
14. Denim and Leather by Saxon (October 5th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Denim and Leather”
15. Killers by Iron Maiden (February 2nd, 1981) – exemplary track “Wrathchild”
16. The Nightcomers by Holocaust (April 1981) – exemplary track, “Death or Glory
17. Strong Arm of the Law by Saxon (November 14th, 1980) – exemplary track, “To Hell and Back Again”
18. Ace Of Spades by Motörhead (November 8th, 1980) – exemplary track, “Ace Of Spades”
19. Omega Sessions by Bad Brains (Recorded 1980, released 1997) – exemplary track, “I Against I”
20. Why EP by Discharge (May 1981) – exemplary track, “Ain’t No Feeble Bastard”

VERY GOOD with HINTS of GREATNESS
21. Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden (April 14th, 1980) - exemplary track, "Phantom of the Opera"
22. Overkill by Motörhead (April 24th, 1979) - exemplary track, "Overkill"
23. No Sleep ‘Til Hammersmith by Motörhead (Recorded 28 to 30 March, 1981) – exemplary track, “Motorhead”
24. Wheels of Steel by Saxon (April 1980) - exemplary track, "747 (Strangers In The Night)"
25. Rudimentary Peni EP by Rudimentary Peni (1981) – exemplary track, “Teenage Time Killer”
26. Demolition War EP by Subhumans (1981) – exemplary track, “Drugs of Youth”
27. Fight Back EP by Discharge/May 1980) – exemplary track, “You Take Part In Creating The System”.
28. (GI) by The Germs (October 1979) - exemplary track, "Lexicon Devil"
29. Sessions 1981-83 by Void (Recorded between Nov. 1981 and June 1982) – exemplary track, “Dehumanized” all 3 versions, really.
30. In God We Trust, Inc EP by Dead Kennedys (November 1981) - exemplary track, "Nazi Punks Fuck Off!"
31. New Hope for the Wretched by Plasmatics (March 1980) - exemplary track, "Dream Lover"
32. All My Friends Are Dead by The Consumers (1977) – exemplary track, “Anti Anti Anti”
33. Realities of War EP by Discharge/March 31st, 1980) – exemplary track, “Society’s Victim”
34. Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne EP by Charged G.B.H. (September 12th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Necrophilia”
35. Breaker by Accept (March 16th, 1981) – Exemplary track, “Run If You Can”
36. T.S.O.L. EP by T.S.O.L. (1981) – exemplary track, “Abolish Government/Silent Majority”
37. St. Valentine’s Day Massacre EP by MotorheadGirlSchool (February 1981) – exemplary track, “Please Don’t Touch”
38. Fire Down Under by Riot (February 9th, 1981) – exemplary track, “Swords and Tequila”

these are…GOOD… not bordering on great to my ears. But good. Lay off me! lol
39. Angel Witch by Angel Witch (December 1980) – Exemplary track, “Angel Witch” (I listened to this again and while my opinion didn’t change much I will say I appreciate it slightly more. Still don’t fully get the hype, however – it moved up one spot in my rankings, so that is nice.)
40. Blood & Thunder by More (May 1982) – exemplary track, “Blood and Thunder”
41. Condensed Flesh EP by Void (Recorded 1981, released in 1992) – exemplary track, “War Hero”
42. Filth Hounds of Hades by Tank (March 5th, 1982) – exemplary track, “(He Fall In Love With A) Stormtrooper”
43. Dance With Me by T.S.O.L. (June 1981) – exemplary track, “Funeral March”
44. Troops of Tomorrow by The Exploited (May 1982) – exemplary track, “Troops of Tomorrow”
45. Wild Cat by Tygers of Pan Tang (August 23rd, 1980) – exemplary track, “Insanity”

This is one comprehensive list lol. Love it. Around half of it is new to me ("new" as in didn't listen to the whole thing yet), which is cool. Might start following this again, it's such a fun project. This question has probably already been answered, but why are Stained Class and Unleashed here and Sad Wings of Destiny and British Steele not? Btw great review of Discharge, it's one of the most essential punk releases in my relatively inexperienced punk opinion Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2022 20:40
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Love it. Around half of it is new to me ("new" as in didn't listen to the whole thing yet), which is cool. Might start following this again, it's such a fun project. This question has probably already been answered, but why are Stained Class and Unleashed here and Sad Wings of Destiny and British Steele not? Btw great review of Discharge, it's one of the most essential punk releases in my relatively inexperienced punk opinion Very Happy

Hey LedZep. Yeah it’s become a beast of a project. I’d love to hear your thoughts on things as you check em out.

As for why no Sad Wings or what-have-you…. It’s a long story and perhaps an overly complicated explanation. Basically, initially, I started this project months ago to listen to shit tons of THRASH. I think I was all hot and bothered by Slayer and Exodus and just wanted to do a very deep dive into all the great thrash releases chronologically.

Then I thought “maybe I should touch on a few - maybe 7-10 - PRE thrash albums in the metal and hardcore genres that most influenced thrash. Initially the list consisted of some Motörhead, Discharge, Bad Brains, Venom, Accept and a few others. Then I got a little ambitious and thought I’d throw some late 70s things that had an influence on thrash - that’s when I decided to do Stained Class and early Misfits. Wasn’t planning on doing Sad Wings because it doesn’t sound like Proto-thrash like “Exciter” does and other tracks on Stained Class.

Then the project ballooned and spiraled out of control to a point where I was arbitrarily skipping albums by legends because I didn’t wanna listen to them again or because I didn’t think they influenced thrash, 2hile also Adding a bunch of hardcore and NWOBHM that don’t sound super super influential on thrash but were on my “wish list” and I just wanted an excuse to explore them.

Now I am 50 albums deep, with 25-30 more to go in the lead up to Kill Em All and the beginnings of Thrash. There are many albums I love that I left off the project because they don’t seem super influential to the later genre (such as circle Jerks or more great Priest albums). It’s a bit of a mess.

Once I get through the lead up to Kill Em All, I’ll be listening to mostly thrash albums and EPs.

• Visit poster's website