I somehow ended up with two artist pages for The Pace Family

View previous topic :: View next topic
LTSings

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2022 02:23
  • Post subject: I somehow ended up with two artist pages for The Pace Family
I just added 2 albums by The Pace Family to the database and somehow they ended up on two different pages. Can an admin please put both of their albums on one artist page please?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/07/2022 08:11
  • Post subject:
Hi, thanks for reporting and sorry for problem. These artists have now been merged.
  • Visit poster's website
LTSings

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2022 09:28
  • Post subject:
Thank you.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LTSings

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2022 01:25
  • Post subject:
Now I ended up with two artist pages for Vicki Lynn King. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please put both Vicki Lynn King albums on one page?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2022 05:52
  • Post subject:
LTSings wrote:
Can someone please put both Vicki Lynn King albums on one page?

Done, but as for what you may be doing wrong... It looks like you only have one main chart, which is marked "Private," and you just add albums to that, and then delete them immediately in order to add more? Or maybe you use the chart only to add albums and don't actually rank them?

It's not my website, so I don't know if doing stuff like that can increase the probability that the drop-down lookups for Artist Name will glitch in some way so that it fails to use the existing artist ID (if there is one)... but either way, I've noticed when I do charts that you have to be fairly careful about that.

For example, sometimes it doesn't bring up the artist/item you want until you add a space after the name, so if you've already typed in the name you might think you've selected the item from the drop-down when you really haven't.

Then there are bands that never appear in the drop-down no matter what you do, like the English Beat (who are in the database as The Beat, though they don't appear either way). You have to wonder if that negatively affects their artist ranking, and if so, maybe one of us should change it to "The English Beat" so they'll at least show up in those drop-downs.

And just in general when dealing with software, web-based or otherwise, I find that it's less stressful when you assume things aren't going to work, at all, ever... so when they do, it's always a pleasant surprise! Smile
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/14/2022 06:47
  • Post subject:
Hi, thanks for feedback about The Beat, just checking into that (an extra space after the name does sometimes help to bring up the right option).

My $0.02 about duplicate artists is just to make sure to pick from the list of suggestions (if the artist has already been added). If you are having to 'Click here to allow 'XYZ artist' into your chart' then you are adding a new artist to the database, and not picking the existing one. Either way, duplicates are no big deal, and easily dealt with behind the scenes (you don't even need to report them here, as they'll likely get picked up within a few hours of adding them and merged together). I appreciate there are sometimes issues with the search, so apologies if that's contributing to the problem.
  • Visit poster's website