Chart items per page (redux)

View previous topic :: View next topic
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2022 03:45
  • Post subject: Chart items per page (redux)
I'd like to suggest that the "chart entries per page" setting (aka "custom page sizes") be enabled for registered members, maybe at Level 5 or so, to make it possible for at least some people to see more than 10 chart entries per page. Since the setting is already visible on the "Edit Profile" page, I'm hoping the necessary coding is already in place...

This was already suggested here, but only for Level 8 or higher. Here it was suggested for everybody, so I guess I'm proposing a "compromise approach."

The reason for enabling this at Level 5 is basically ergonomic: At Level 5, you can make Decade charts, so at that point you're going to be spending more time looking at pre-existing charts (if only to check that you've got your dates right, and remind yourself of stuff that you liked at the time but might not be in your personal collection). That would be much easier to do if it didn't involve constantly reloading multiple pages from various charts, and in turn, that would make the chart-creation process much more pleasant and fun, which would hopefully mean more charts created. Smile

It looks like this was placed on the "premium-user perks" list about 10 years ago, but the premium user thing never got off the ground, and it seems like there are plenty of other perks on that list anyway, no? Lately it looks like the chart-creation rate might be slowing down a bit (maybe because fewer people are buying albums?), so it might not be a bad idea to try to "juice" this a little bit, starting with things that don't require much (if any) effort coding-wise.

I guess another possibility might be to add a "Level 9" where this becomes available, but personally I'd totally make it Level 5, if not lower.

(I might also suggest removing various references to premium memberships site-wide until that becomes more of a reality, but I don't think people are particularly irritated by those.)
  • Visit poster's website