The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 09/08/2022 19:37
  • Post subject:
I certainly don’t dislike Sepultura and I’m even a fan of Chaos AD. I just happen to like The Gun Club better.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2022 14:56
  • Post subject:
Think I just took a wrong turn in Albuquerque. Embarassed About to be seated at the Duck & Waffle on Bishopsgate in London. Seems everyone's pretty torn up about something. I'll have to find a paper in a bit. Right now I can only think about breakfast.

Will report back with what I find out about the blues-infused London Punk scene circa 1979 tonight. Ok. Gotta run. Right now these bangers & rashers are the only ones on my mind.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2022 00:59
  • Post subject:
The Softies (1979)
Aka Boys who pack an extra sweater <Just in case!>

Even Serpents Shine by The Only Ones

Love is just destruction under another name – [No Solution.]

Broken dreams have left you scarred beyond repair - [Someone Who Cares]

Are u a Hardee or a Softie?

I’m a softie. I like hugs. Playing D&D with my kids. Open bags of Doritos. That kind of stuff.

BUT, I also like loud music with teeth. Its feedback taking a bite out of my ass.

So bands like The Only Ones are my bread & butter. I can’t really relate to the nihilism and violence spewed by bands like Sham 69 or The Sex Pistols. I’m just too polite.

BUT, awkwardness around girls? Crazy love-hate relationships?! Alex, kind sir, I’ll take “Love Song”s for a thousand please!

And Peter Perrett, the lead singer & creative director of The Only Ones is just like me. And no. that’s not from reading his autobiography or anything like that. You just don’t have to. His heart is the open book. Filled with cottontails, sunflowers and secret kisses in that closet down the hall and to the right.

And while his band may not have got the limelight back then, Peter and his Only Ones foreshadowed the whole American Underground that was just about to happen. Bands like Galaxie 500. I mean just listen to the track "In Betweens" and try not to compare him to Dean Wareham. The voice of a long lost friend. That special someone you’d swap your Spider Man comic books with after school. A frayed sweater that u still keep in the that top drawer, just in case you need a hug.

The Verdict: For the second straight year, The Only Ones deliver a five tissue masterpiece with Even Serpents Shine. So break out some cough medicine, a deluxe box of Kleenex, and get ready to have a good old fashioned cry. <Don’t forget your favorite stuffed Teddy!>

The Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Link

Further Listening: <from the Repo Archives> ...

The Mother(fucking) Lode (1978)

The Only Ones by The Only Ones

Well, well, well. Don’t I feel like the world's biggest idiot. How the blazes… no, strike that, … how the FUCK have I missed the existence of this record. This band. It’s like Dream FUCKING Syndicate for Christ's sake. Just FOUR years earlier. FOUR! Take punk, Television, country, The Buzzcocks, The Rolling Stones at their seediest, and Radio Birdman. Mix 'em all up and you're just starting to to get the idea. But don't get the wrong idea either. This ain't no mixed frilly drink for the Sex and The City set. The Only Ones serve their rock n' roll damnation up neat. No cloying mixers. No fruity aftertaste. If you want straight-up American underground music in the vein of The Dream Syndicate, early Violent Femmes and The Gun Club (and overlook the fact that these motherfuckers were British), well, this is your fucking drink. Thanks for the round, Skinny!

A-side: Thanks, Skinny! Killer rec. Love this album to death and it gets my highest recommendation. Put simply, this is a CLASSIC indie rock album that stands with the giants in the field (e.g. Velvet Underground, Television, Dream Syndicate, The Gun Club) and somehow I’m just a dumbass for just discovering this now. You! Standing there with your iPhone in one hand and your wiener in the other. Don't be a dumbass! Get on this shit NOW! You've been served by The Skinny Man
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2022 09:02
  • Post subject:
Godhead level. Just amazing footage with the most biting & bitter lyrics you'll ever hear, AND Chris Knox playing a stylophone!!!

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/23/2022 02:47
  • Post subject:
Quote:
and anything else Elvis ever put out.

not even close
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2022 14:48
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Quote:
and anything else Elvis ever put out.

not even close

You mean Elvis was put out some better albums? Would love to hear your favorites!! Do you have an Elvis rankings?!?!

Personally I think Johnny Burnette and the Rock & Roll Trio rocked WAY harder on that one LP than anything I've ever heard Elvis do. But I love being wrong because that would mean MORE GREAT MUSIC!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/24/2022 22:24
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

You mean Elvis was put out some better albums? Would love to hear your favorites!! Do you have an Elvis rankings?!?!

Personally I think Johnny Burnette and the Rock & Roll Trio rocked WAY harder on that one LP than anything I've ever heard Elvis do. But I love being wrong because that would mean MORE GREAT MUSIC!!!

Elvis has a long and storied discography, and his best albums weren't even in his "rockabilly" era. The closest he came to perfection in his early years was on the King Creole soundtrack, at least by my ear. I love early rock and roll/rockabilly, but it was never a scene that had much consistency and the album format really didn't suit it at that time.

However, after wasting his time in Hollywood... Elvis created some great southern soul-type things before he diverged fully into nashville sound country. His best albums of his later years are From Elvis in Memphis, Back in Memphis, That's the Way It Is, Elvis Country (I'm 10,000 Years Old), Good Times, Today, and Elvis '73. He would get more vulnerable in this era and luckily for him he had old aging white women eating his records out of the palm of his hands. He was still making top 20 hits.

Some key examples of Elvis at his best (which is better than others by a country mile):

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2022 19:26
  • Post subject:
WHATIF #1: The Carpenters were reincarnated as a Shoegaze band?! Think

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2022 23:09
  • Post subject:
WHATIF #2: Black Sabbath conceived with Dead Can Dance?! Think

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2022 01:43
  • Post subject:
The Lemonheads' Lovey album released in Jan. 1990 is quite the foreshadowing of Nirvana's sound! Even MORE than Bleach! I mean just check out...

Link

Listen to that and tell me you do not hear the echoes that bounced up & down a couple of caves, a few valleys here & there and finALLY ascended a wee bitty hill to become Nevermind.

Last edited by Repo on 10/05/2022 01:54; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website