Album of the day (#4296): Parklife by Blur

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/01/2022 21:04
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
quintessential art rockers seem to be bands like Roxy Music and Talking Heads.

Yeah, Talking Heads were the first band that came to mind when we got into this subject, I didn't bring them up because of the UK limitation you set - though the cheat in me wants to say that David Byrne was born in the UK, so they count. Smile

theblueboy wrote:
Yeah, Clash are an interesting call. Simon Reynolds (well known Brit music journalist) was quite critical of them for sort of being classic rock pretenders in punk clothes (in the sense that they were self-righteous/ sticking it to the man, which Reynolds seemed to see as less vital to punk compared to the Pistol’s nihilism). I always found that interesting.

The Pistols/Clash debate is quite a spectacle, as fans of both sides tend to call the other out for being fake/pretentious/not punk enough – Pistols are supposed to be too commercial/watered down for the masses/figureheads of their manager, while Clash are too subtle/classy/sophisticated/professional. Interesting, sure, but rather funny as well.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/02/2022 06:59
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Yeah, Talking Heads were the first band that came to mind when we got into this subject, I didn't bring them up because of the UK limitation you set - though the cheat in me wants to say that David Byrne was born in the UK, so they count. Smile

Art Rock basically means Eno is involved in some way Wink

Quote:

The Pistols/Clash debate is quite a spectacle, as fans of both sides tend to call the other out for being fake/pretentious/not punk enough – Pistols are supposed to be too commercial/watered down for the masses/figureheads of their manager, while Clash are too subtle/classy/sophisticated/professional. Interesting, sure, but rather funny as well.

Yeah punk purists of all types get tiresome quickly. Though I’d say Reynolds’ opinions in his book Rip it up and Start Again are more interesting -even though I wasn’t completely persuaded by his point of view. Reynolds is maybe more of a post-punk purist, which was good food for thought. The Clash didn’t really fit with his notions of the kind of punk that inspired the post-punk bands.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2022 03:53
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
I've always found it curious that it's their highest ranked album here. I mean, it's my favourite of theirs and that's by some distance, but I thought their alternative rock ventures - also known as 13 - would be more BEA-friendly than the pure Britpop of Parklife.

You are American and you have good taste.

So, yes, I agree. hehehehe
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2022 03:55
  • Post subject:
I'm messin y'all, I mean mostly.

I'm just saying this is common consensus to be an amazing album by my friends on the other side of the pond, but I personally don't know a breathing American who really loves it. Just internet American's and at this point, who trusts those blokes?
  • Visit poster's website