Kind of Blueboy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/16/2022 16:58
  • Post subject:
Just listening to Skylarking again. I can’t believe that I have it as low as #8 on my chart. This is my real GOAT lol. It’s the way the tunes are so Beatles great and yet obviously better than the Beatles. Also, I can’t believe that when I search for this album in Tidal a singer comes up called Sky Larkin. Also, I can’t believe I am actually using Tidal.
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/16/2022 17:02
  • Post subject:
Imagine going into a Rough Trade shop and asking for Skylarking and then they go into the back and come out with some Sky Larkin. It would be like a Two Ronnies sketch.
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/16/2022 19:32
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:

Thanks, yeah a lot of people prefer The Smiths (also on my chart Edit- narrowly missed my overall chart). For some reason I vibe with Orange Juice a bit more, though I think both are great. To be fair there is quite a bit of 80s jangle on my charts and could be more as I keep exploring.

I agree with that observation- I’m just trying to go with really honest personal choices, including the uncool ones (Hello Bonnie and Meat Smile ) I like charts with a bit of that side of things anyway. Edit- Oh crap, I just realised that Lover at #15 is the one that will ultimately bug people. I can’t help it though, I have played the crap out of that album Laughing

I’m about half way through the comments now. It’s taking a while but I’m quite pleased with what is there so far. It’s by far the most thought I’ve put into a chart. I’m finding it quite rewarding so should see it through.

Edit again!!! Just realised The Queen is Dead should be there according to my system but I missed it Brick wall I can correct this now thanks to your comment for reminding me Very Happy

Yeah, Orange Juice are the more optimistic/naïve counterpart of The Smiths, so I get why someone would like them more – if I ever create an overall chart, their debut is guaranteed to make it. Still, I’m happy that The Smiths found a way to your chart despite the series of – rather funny – hiccups. Smile
And you got it, I was thinking about artists such as Bonnie, Meat and Taylor Swift, though I expect the dedication to Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart (I guess you really like Lawrence) might raise a few eyebrows, too – I’d consider myself a fan as well, but obviously nowhere close to your level.
Even the choices of the universally acclaimed artists’ work such as Bowie or Radiohead are unusual and intriguing (Scary Monsters and Hail To The Thief).
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/17/2022 08:15
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:

Yeah, Orange Juice are the more optimistic/naïve counterpart of The Smiths, so I get why someone would like them more – if I ever create an overall chart, their debut is guaranteed to make it. Still, I’m happy that The Smiths found a way to your chart

Agreed. At first I didn't even like the Smiths as I found them too melodramatic and insincere. Then I got the humour/ self-awareness of it, which made a world of difference. But yeah, I guess the slightly breezier, sweeter bands suit me a bit more than the moodier ones.

Do you have any plans yet for an overall chart or are you waiting to see out your current project?

Quote:
despite the series of – rather funny – hiccups. Smile

Story of my life Wink

Quote:

And you got it, I was thinking about artists such as Bonnie, Meat and Taylor Swift, though I expect the dedication to Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart (I guess you really like Lawrence) might raise a few eyebrows, too – I’d consider myself a fan as well, but obviously nowhere close to your level.

Yeah, I've always been better suited to being a fan than a connoisseur, which is why I'm happy including more goofy stuff. Those albums say a lot about being a fan. The Lawrence thing is a bit crazy though (6 albums on my overall across those three bands). My inner editor wants to limit those albums a bit, but including all those albums is an honest reflection of my fandom, so I'm going with it Cool

Quote:
Even the choices of the universally acclaimed artists’ work such as Bowie or Radiohead are unusual and intriguing (Scary Monsters and Hail To The Thief).

Thanks, it just comes down to the albums I return to most or because they have some more obvious meaning for me at this point. I do still have OK Computer very high as well as it was a huge album for me as a teenager.
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/17/2022 20:52
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Do you have any plans yet for an overall chart or are you waiting to see out your current project?

I'd like to keep exploring the '60s and then moving on to the even bigger blindspot that is the '70s - to put things in perspective, there's about 10 to 15 '60s albums I would seriously consider for an overall chart, while I can think of exactly 3(!) '70s records that would have a good chance of making it. This should take more time than I can dare to imagine, so don't hold your breath, it will be a while before I make an overall chart.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/18/2022 17:11
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
theblueboy wrote:

I'd like to keep exploring the '60s and then moving on to the even bigger blindspot that is the '70s - to put things in perspective, there's about 10 to 15 '60s albums I would seriously consider for an overall chart, while I can think of exactly 3(!) '70s records that would have a good chance of making it. This should take more time than I can dare to imagine, so don't hold your breath, it will be a while before I make an overall chart.

That is some project Cool Maybe a 60s chart could emerge when you get that far d'oh! ? Seems like you probably have a tougher criteria than me for a top 100 album, which is completely fair enough.
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/18/2022 18:32
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:

That is some project Cool Maybe a 60s chart could emerge when you get that far d'oh! ?

A '60s chart is a more realistic goal, that's for sure.

theblueboy wrote:
Seems like you probably have a tougher criteria than me for a top 100 album, which is completely fair enough

Nah, it's only because there are too many '90s/'00s albums I love - after all, I grew up with them - so there is hardly any room for the rest.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/14/2022 10:30
  • Post subject:
I’ve not had time for this diary lately as I’ve been tinkering with comments for my overall chart. Pretty much done now, though I keep changing them. Writing is hard Confused

In the meantime I’ve been listening to Half Man Half Biscuit. Good for the soul. Probably good for the soil too. They are a funny band.