Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2022 15:24
  • Post subject:
Hey, Merry Christmas, my friends.

Yesterday marked the 10th anniversary of me on thios site. Kind of wild how many memories I have connected with this site, making lists, engaging in music discussions, updating lists, getting to know the internet personas of all of you, and, of course, making and updating lists.

Christmas Eve 2012 I distinctly remember being a bit bored, don't remember why but I didn't have family around and I finally decided to actively rate and try codifying my favorite albums. So I spent hours that day going through the top 1000 albums on this beautiful site and rating album after album. I then made a top 40 chart and discovered the forums and got into conversations there. It was good times.

The next day, Christmas - December 25th, 2012 - I wrote a few comments on albums. I wrote a comment for Allelujah Don't Bend Ascend by Godspeed, The Way Out by The Books, Night Falls Over Kortedala by Jens Lekman, Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell by Social Distortion, Destroyer's Rubies by Destroyer, and, another one of my favorites at the time of joining, The Odd Couple by Gnarls Barkley... Good good times. I am not sure why I wrote about them to start, but that group of albums is very fitting for where I recall my music tastes being at that time. I was 23 and in my prime and excited to yap about music. I couldn't possibly have known I would end up being here for a decade after, dropping in and chatting with so many of you.

Anyway, I wanted to reminisce and I wanted to thank Albummaster for creating this little cozy corner of the internet and keeping it going all these years. I wanted to thank all of you who I look forward to chatting with. And I just wanted to stop by and say Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Peace and Love for all of you. I hope your new year is safe and stable and, no matter what insanity comes, I hope you find a way to flourish and prosper despite all of it.

Love,
Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2022 15:29
  • Post subject:
Love Love Love

Merry Christmas, brother!!! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/25/2022 18:20
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Anyway, I wanted to reminisce and I wanted to thank Albummaster for creating this little cozy corner of the internet and keeping it going all these years.

(BEA IRL)

Happy Holidays everyone.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/25/2022 19:07
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the nice comments, for visiting, contributing and generally making the site a nice place to hang out. It is really appreciated.
Happy holidays to all.
AM
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/26/2022 03:02
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
That's because Doolittle is the better (and more influential, impactful) record.
Oof. I do like them both about the same, but I wouldn't be brave enough to claim one is clearly more influential. In fact, if I had a gun pointed at me, I'd go with Doolittle as the better album and The Queen is Dead as the more influential one.

And, much more importantly, happy 10 year anniversary Merc! Glad to have you with us. Merry Christmas!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 12/27/2022 19:54
  • Post subject:
Merry Xmas as well to all of you as well from my side and I completely share your thoughts on this beautiful site and how AM keeps it alive (and kicking).
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/27/2022 20:25
  • Post subject:
I second everything you said Mercury. Happy holidays.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2023 02:39
  • Post subject:
Merry Christmas and happy BEAnniversary Merc!

Happy holidays and Happy New Year everyone! Party
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2023 05:48
  • Post subject:
Bit over a decade for me too - cozy corner indeed.

Unreal the universe has kept us all like this.

Also wishing everyone a stable 2023.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2023 02:48
  • Post subject:
1983 – Some metal, some punk, a little something for the whole family!

Okay, initially this was a 13 album mega post to get to Kill Em All. Then I lost all interest in music including punk and metal. And I disappeared. I will now go through the slate of 13 albums and write short and utterly uninspired snippets on the ones I remember or that I actually got to back in DECEMBER. Then either wrap up this project forever or continue it.

This has been a dreadfully shit year thus far. I am hoping to get some inspiration soon and turn this mofo around.

Here goes

--- --- --- ---

Information Overload Unit by System Pla...orporation
Information Overload Unit by System Planning Korporation/Released March 1981

Look, I’ve heard some Ramleh and some noisy grindcore and I even enjoy the heavier and more grating bits of Lingua Ignota’s works, so I am for sure a bit of an intellectual and a connoisseur of Noise and Power Electronics and stuff.

That said, I really don’t know shit about this nook of the music world but I have been fascinated for awhile. So I will be broadening what I cover here yet again. From time to time I will “review” (meaning, say some useless words about something that can’t be expressed in words and then stamp a numerical rating on it) some noisy albums.

Let’s start with this. It’s very noisy. At it’s most terrifying and inhuman and brutal it is overwhelming. The depth of unfeeling, dread-inducing coldness on display on track 1 and at various other times here is impressive. Other tracks veer into what may be called relatively “conventional” early industrial. But even these bits, with their vaguely human sounds and followable rhythms were cutting edge and without much peer at the time of this recording.

This album doesn’t completely sell me on it atmosphere throughout and some of the ideas seem incomplete. But man when this thing hits, it really REALLY fucking grates and hits and overwhelms and that is cool. Later records, once the studio was more harnessed, some of these ideas would be fleshed out and would be more painful and frightening and awe-inspiring. But as far as early Noise/Power Electronics/Industrial goes, this is pretty damn good!

7.2/10

--- --- ---- --- ---

Leichenschrei by Sozialistiches Patienten Kollektiv
Leichenschrei by SPK/Released 1982

This was great if I recall correctly. Will check out again most likely. This was listened to just before I went radio silent for months.
?maybe 7.7 or so/10

--- --- ---- --- ---

Fire In The Brain by Oz
Fire In The Brain by Oz/Released 1983

I listened and thought it was a good heavy metal album. Nothing sticks out to me now 2 or 3 months later.

?/10

--- --- ---- --- ---

Deep Wound EP by Deep Wound
Deep Wound by Deep Wound/Released 1983
Their later band Dino Jr is much better. But this short, sharp EP is cool and insanely fast hardcore punk/thrashcore. I am glad I heard it.

7/10

---- ---- ----

Koro EP by Koro
Koro (EP) by Koro/Released 1983

This is a cult, almost- lost forever classic for a reason. Some of the most badass and fiery and inspired hardcore punk of its time. I listened to this 6-7 minute nugget like 10 times back in December and I don’t have much else to say about it now. Check it out if you like Hardcore punk.

8/10

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Nekrofilie by 666
Nekrofilie by 666/Released 1983

This is labeled as Proto-Black Metal or first wave black metal in places and I can hear it somewhat. It’s certainly roughly recorded and something about it is quite creepy and cold and “black-metal-y”.

Overall its got shit tons of attitude and its that attitude and unique aesthetic that sets these otherwise pretty straightforward mid-tempo heavy metal apart. Not the best of the best, and not remotely another “Welcome To Hell” in terms of mind-blowing innovation and brutality. Just solid and fun.

6.4/10

--- --- ---- --- ---

Okay, initially back in early December I had 13 albums ready to end all my pre-Kill em All stuff. Then I hit a major MAJOR rut and now here I am. I removed lots of stuff that interested me at the time. Albums by Acid, by The F.U.’s, etc etc. And that’s a bummer. But honestly I heard bits of each and nothing since early December drew me back…

Hell… this whole project is boring me at the moment. Maybe the inspiration will hit again. Maybe not. Either way I did it! I copvered almost 100 releases leading up to that fateful July day when the first full-on Thrash LP was released. I’ll take my win there. And maybe I will continue with this or maybe I will explore 2023 music and look back on stuff I missed in 2022. Or maybe something completely different. Who knows.

Either way, apologies for my long absence. Hope you enjoyed following along as I listened to shit tons of “extreme” for it’s time punk and metal these last like 6 months.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website