Increasing maximum chart sizes to 200 entries

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
SD100852

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/13/2023 00:44
  • Post subject: Increasing maximum chart sizes to 200 entries
I was thinking if there might be a possibility soon where we can add up to 200 albums onto one chart? There has been a lot of great albums released since the website was first created and I was wondering if this could be a natural step forward so that releases can be added onto charts such as personal 'Greatest Albums of All Time' charts without needing to take any albums out if you've got 100, and it will also make more sense when adding in official rankings such as the Rolling Stone 500 greatest albums of all time chart.

Obviously it might take a bit of time to implement and probably should be included as something only members who have reached a certain level can do, but just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else thinks this is a good idea
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/13/2023 08:46
  • Post subject: Re: Increasing maximum chart sizes to 200 entries
Longer/larger charts are definitely something that people want (suggested before) and technically not difficult. However, limiting to 100 does force people to be selective with their choices, and helps prevent the database/mod team from being flooded. I appreciate that people are finding creative ways around this e.g. with continuation charts (charts containing albums 101-200 etc), and maybe this is something that could be made more of a feature of (e.g. allowing people to link/chain charts together more officially). Not sure precisely how this would work yet, but maybe allow people to add the ID of a 'previous' chart to a custom chart and optionally flag the chart as continuation so that ranks can be rendered to continue on from previous chart (or not, if it's just a pool of albums that didn't make the cut for previous chart etc). (The ranks in the continuation chart wouldn't be awarded any points etc).
  • Visit poster's website
Arthurknight
Hi

Australia

• Posted: 02/16/2023 08:40
  • Post subject:
I think you resolve this very easily by giving custom charts a higher maximum. by doing this you get:
1. the long desired ability to make longer lists,
2. the ability to make a greatest albums continuation list that isn't spread across more than 2 charts (the current system is so agonising to manage when it comes to moving albums from, for example, 201 to 199),
3. you limit access to these massive charts to only those who have accumulated the points, and
4. you keep the default 100 limit greatest albums format, and maintain the existing overall chart aggregation system.

It actually makes quite little sense that the 100 limit has been imposed across the board, if, as you say, there is not technological limit.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/16/2023 10:33
  • Post subject:
Agree that potentially we could have bigger custom charts - thanks for pointing out. However, in practice there would need to be some kind of upper limit - even for custom charts (flooding the database/moderation team & performance being the main concerns). I'm not against increasing the limit, but need to consider these factors if the limit is raised. I've seen continuation charts going up to 1,000 or more, which might be a bit too big to be able to edit comfortably (without re-writing the chart editor).
  • Visit poster's website
Arthurknight
Hi

Australia

• Posted: 02/16/2023 11:08
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I'm not against increasing the limit, but need to consider these factors if the limit is raised. I've seen continuation charts going up to 1,000 or more, which might be a bit too big to be able to edit comfortably (without re-writing the chart editor).

Anything larger than what it is currently would be a major improvement. The main problem with the current system is there's no easy way to make adjustments to your rankings without having to export the charts into a spreadsheet, update the ordering there, and then more or less fully reconstruct your 101-200, 201-300 lists and so on from scratch. It leads to most of the charts users have up that skirt around the current 100 album restriction becoming obsolete pretty fast. If, for example, they were even increased to 200, you halve the amount of annoyance created by this, but I wouldn't complain with getting even more.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/16/2023 15:16
  • Post subject:
The current 'system' has grown organically with users finding their own workarounds to get bigger charts and this is why it has become clunky. I can definitely see that managing a super chart spanning multiple charts is unwieldy and moving entries up/down between charts extremely fiddly. I'd never foreseen that happening so didn't have anything up my sleeve to address it, but recognise it as an issue.

Ideally, I'd like to find a reasonably elegant solution that fits into how things work at the moment. However, it's quite a complex issue to fix, given what it needs to fit into (if that makes any sense). We can definitely say that continuation charts won't be completely solved by increasing the maximum chart length unless it was an impossibly high number, so still need to find a way of moving entries between charts (it's fairly trivial to join multiple charts together alluded to in a previous post). We could still go for bigger custom charts alongside.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2023 22:25
  • Post subject:
I've already suggested making increased page sizes available when viewing charts (at least for higher-level members), but if you increase the maximum chart sizes without also allowing for higher page sizes... that's going to be really irritating.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/17/2023 02:01
  • Post subject:
I'm cool with 100 ... Anxious

BUT— if it were to ever increase, I would opt for 250, and that denomination would solely be for the overall chart, not every decade, years, etc.

Think 100's great though.
  • Visit poster's website
Arthurknight
Hi

Australia

• Posted: 02/17/2023 03:06
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
The current 'system' has grown organically with users finding their own workarounds to get bigger charts and this is why it has become clunky. I can definitely see that managing a super chart spanning multiple charts is unwieldy and moving entries up/down between charts extremely fiddly. I'd never foreseen that happening so didn't have anything up my sleeve to address it, but recognise it as an issue.

Ideally, I'd like to find a reasonably elegant solution that fits into how things work at the moment. However, it's quite a complex issue to fix, given what it needs to fit into (if that makes any sense). We can definitely say that continuation charts won't be completely solved by increasing the maximum chart length unless it was an impossibly high number, so still need to find a way of moving entries between charts (it's fairly trivial to join multiple charts together alluded to in a previous post). We could still go for bigger custom charts alongside.

Yeah just to be clear I was suggesting what is effectively a bandaid solution. I generally hate suggesting anything that requires a lot of someone else's labour to execute or may not be technically feasible. However, if you can easily implement a change that enables linking charts together via the chart editing page, then I agree: the hassle of editing continuation charts is removed entirely. It would be a considerably better solution to directly tackle the continuation chart problem, but if you're going to implement something like that it only raises more questions as to why the limit remains at 100. Both would be ideal, either one alone would improve the current way of doing business.

MadhattenJack wrote:
I've already suggested making increased page sizes available when viewing charts (at least for higher-level members), but if you increase the maximum chart sizes without also allowing for higher page sizes... that's going to be really irritating.

Yes you'd almost assuredly have to add custom buttons for 10, 25, 50, 100 page limits if this was done.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/17/2023 09:42
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:

agree with you. so many things getting backed up right now, difficult to know where to start. Maybe both features could be for premium members, once that gets off the ground. The main issue I continually have is available time, most of it tied up in site admin rather than dev.
  • Visit poster's website