CSV downloads for entries deeper than 1000 by year

View previous topic :: View next topic
hortond00

• Posted: 01/09/2023 21:51
  • Post subject: CSV downloads for entries deeper than 1000 by year
It's frustrating to see that each year chart since at least 1969 has over 1000 album entries on it, but users don't seem to have any way to access that data beyond the first 1000. I would like to renew/bump a previously closed suggestion to allow users to view and download CSVs for this deeper data.

If the issue is a bandwidth cost, perhaps the maximum of 1000 could remain, but allow a selection of various 1000-entry partitions (1-1000, 1001-2000, etc.)? That way each partition could count against the daily download limit, without needing to change that limit or increase the size of the files.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/10/2023 16:37
  • Post subject: Re: CSV downloads for entries deeper than 1000 by year
Apologies that this hasn't been done yet. Cost isn't the biggest factor, but server resources are finite. Paging the data is a good suggestion to get around this. The main factor preventing features from being implemented tbh is lack of spare time (site admin more and more eats into the available time that I have for development).

At this time of year, mainly focusing on populating recognised lists for the end of 2022 and adding some improvements to make future/past years easier to populate. Once we are into February, then I should have a bit more spare time to go back through previous requests and try to catch up a little with the backlog, including CSV files etc (last year my day job also got in the way).
  • Visit poster's website
hortond00

• Posted: 01/10/2023 20:30
  • Post subject:
Excellent, thanks for the response. I can totally see how this might not be a priority while everyone is posting their year-end charts.

Might you be looking for some help with development/admin? I have an academic background in data science and a career in administering CRM systems, but to be frank, I'm a total novice at development for custom web apps. I'm just motivated to help in any way that I can because this website has been the primary driver of my listening habits for the past year.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/13/2023 08:30
  • Post subject:
Thanks - much appreciated. One day, things will be organised well enough that other people can help out with dev etc. At the moment, things aren't in a good enough place to make that happen as code seems to be never finished, or in a fit state to share with anybody. Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
hortond00

• Posted: 01/14/2023 23:48
  • Post subject:
No worries at all, I totally understand. I think every developer on earth would be able to relate to that lol
  • Visit poster's website
drstuey

New Zealand

• Posted: 01/02/2024 20:42
  • Post subject:
Happy New Year. I think you are doing an awesome job with this site. I can relate.

Anyway I just wanted to say that I would love to see this feature too. Hope you can get to it in February Smile