Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2023 23:36
  • Post subject: 2023 End Of Year Lists PARTY!!! <Building 2023 Charts>
FF => RWD:: 2023

This is an open thread to discuss 2023 releases. I'll be posting my TOP TENS of each month. Mostly ALBUMS, but will throw in some SINGLES as well.

Unlike some people <cough... Hayden... cough Razz >, I've been LOVING this year's releases thus far.

I'm heading out to tai chi soon so will make my first real post when I get back to relax while drinking a couple of the Hamm's I got chilling in the fridge, but how cool that the year started with punk legend Iggy Pop dropping this on January 6th ....

Every Loser by Iggy Pop

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it another notch in his well-notched belt or should he just hang it up already?

Most importantly, does anyone have a favorite Iggy album other than Lust For Life or The Idiot?!

Last edited by Repo on 12/11/2023 16:25; edited 8 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2023 01:13
  • Post subject: Re: Fast-forward to REWIND! => Jan. 2023 (What r YOUR fa
Repo wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts? Is it another notch in his well-notched belt or should he just hang it up already?

Most importantly, does anyone have a favorite Iggy album other than Lust For Life or The Idiot?!

I liked it, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't still hang it up. Basically, this is the first album he's done in several years on which he's made a real effort to hide the fact that his voice is aging, and he was only partially successful at it. But because he was only partially successful, the effort to do that was kind of distracting — I should be critiquing individual tracks here, but instead I'm talking about how old he's getting. (He's 75!)

Also, my favorite Iggy album is Soldier, but I think that's mainly because of the musicians he chose to collaborate with on it. (I also liked the last album, Free, because he brought Sarah "Noveller" Lipstate in on guitar, and I have a huuuuuge crush on her, though that's admittedly creepy coming from someone my age. Still, who wouldn't?)

This year I'm going to try and make an effort to keep a 2023 chart updated with everything new I hear and like, and so far the new Parannoul album is the #1 — I wouldn't mention it, except that it's NYOP on Bandcamp so it's a low-risk situation, especially for those who like South Korean shoegazer acts in general.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2023 02:12
MadhattanJack wrote:
Repo wrote:

Also, my favorite Iggy album is Soldier, but I think that's mainly because of the musicians he chose to collaborate with on it. (I also liked the last album, Free, because he brought Sarah "Noveller" Lipstate in on guitar, and I have a huuuuuge crush on her, though that's admittedly creepy coming from someone my age. Still, who wouldn't?)

Soldier by Iggy Pop

Me too! I LOVE this little, weird gem. In fact, the best part of Iggy releasing EVERY LOSER for me is that I rediscovered this wonderful oddity of Punk meets New Wave. Its fun, vibrant and full of personality. I think it fell through the cracks back in 1980 because it's hard to categorize. It didn't fit really neatly in any one box. But, it's a total grower, and I do feel it's right up there with New Values and a total essential album for anyone who wants to appreciate the breadth of Iggy's work. It's made me realize that I have underestimated him. What do you think of its sequel Party? <I'm pretty smitten by that bad boy as well this past month!>

Who are the musicians on this anyways that you dig so much?! <I really don't know enough about it!>
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2023 02:56
Repo wrote:
What do you think of its sequel Party?

This might come off as cynical, but Party is a tour-support album. He knew he was about to go off on a huge US tour, mostly large clubs (like the Bayou in DC, which I attended), and he decided he needed some catchy, upbeat, and just-maybe "commercial" tunes to play. So he brought in some New York guys instead of the British guys he had for Soldier, and the result is a completely different sort of album. Not bad at all, but less interesting (at least to me). It should have sold a bunch of copies too, because it really was more commercial, but Arista barely supported it, they chose the wrong track for the single anyway ("Bang-Bang," which didn't even get released in the USA), and the gigs weren't enough to compensate for the lackluster marketing.

Back then I was a lot more interested in the business side of music than I am now — these days the whole thing is completely insane, so I try not to even think about it, and yet here's Iggy, still making albums. He may be too old, but still, that's dedication.

Quote:
Who are the musicians on this anyways that you dig so much?! <I really don't know enough about it!>

Mainly it's Barry Andrews, on keyboards — this album was his first gig after leaving XTC, and I was pretty upset about him leaving XTC. After Soldier he was in (Robert Fripp's) League of Gentlemen, so I bought that record too... Also, Soldier had Sex Pistols castoff Glen Matlock on bass, and that's the Simple Minds and David Bowie doing backing vocals on "Play it Safe," which is probably my favorite Iggy track ever.

We're getting way off the original topic, though!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2023 03:41
MadhattanJack wrote:
We're getting way off the original topic, though!

This thread is entitled Fast-forward to REWIND! for a reason! Wink <I hate staying on topic! Twisted Evil >

I'll listen to Party tomorrow and post my thoughts on that as well. It will be kinda fun to compare it with Soldier now that I know a bit more about their backstories!!! <Thanks!!!> Just so many great stories on how these albums were made. Like I love this comment from BEAer Old Toad regarding Soldier ...

"The only Iggy Pop album I really like. The Idiot hasn't aged well for me, and the rest of his non-Stooge albums always seemed like weak sauce. This one is fun and smart--it's got a feminist anthem in it, for crying out loud, and it's sprinkled with lots of obscure oldies rock 'n roll references. You can be listening to a 50s song somewhere and suddenly, hey it's that line from Iggy's Soldier.

The famous story about this album is: the reason it sounds a little open and spacy is the lead guitar track was (mostly) stripped from the recording after Bowie, who produced it, hit on the guitarist's lady, got punched by the guitarist, and took the guitar off the record. Apparently true. So you get these tracks where the keyboard and the rhythm section are prominent, and it sounds cool."

Is this true?! What did you hear about this?
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2023 04:49
Repo wrote:
The famous story about this album is: the reason it sounds a little open and spacy is the lead guitar track was (mostly) stripped from the recording after Bowie, who produced it, hit on the guitarist's lady, got punched by the guitarist, and took the guitar off the record. Apparently true. So you get these tracks where the keyboard and the rhythm section are prominent, and it sounds cool."[/i]

Is this true?! What did you hear about this?
Ehh, that story isn't about the whole album, it's about Bowie's mix of "Play it Safe" in particular. The album was originally going to be produced by (Stooges guitarist) James Williamson, who left in a huff when Bowie showed up, but then Bowie left too, and they brought in Pat Moran to finish the thing, so Moran ultimately got the producer credit. Anyway, the story actually comes from this 2006 interview with Stella New, the guitarist in question — who at the time was called Steve New. He was then dating Patti Palladin, and Patti told Steve/Stella that Bowie was "hitting on her," which he claims upset him to no end. According to him, there indeed was an altercation in a stairwell at the hotel they were staying in. But we only have Stella's word for it as to what happened, and if you read that interview carefully, you'll see that at no point does Stella actually accuse Bowie of down-mixing the guitars, for revenge or any other reason, not even on that specific track. In fact, that decision should have been long-since out of Bowie's hands by the time the album was mixed. It's possible that the "revenge down-mixing" part of the story comes from Glen Matlock, but Matlock has never quite been Mister Historical Accuracy either. Of course, someone eventually decided to put this stuff in the Wikipedia article, and you know what happens to historical accuracy when that happens. Dancing

The fact is, this was 1980 and guitars were becoming much less fashionable at the time. And they had Barry Andrews, one of the best keyboard guys in the world, talent-wise at least, so why wouldn't they feature him? Naturally they did, but nobody liked the results because the results went against everything people expected from Iggy Pop. Pat Moran was a keyboard guy himself, and had practically no experience in producing loud, guitar-based rock records. If I had to blame someone, I'd probably blame him. (There's an article on PopMatters saying that "legend has it" Iggy made the decision to down-mix the guitars himself, possibly because he didn't like New either, but I'm not sure I believe that.)

A few years later, a guy named Paul Trynka interviewed Barry Andrews in his book about Iggy Pop (Open Up and Bleed), and as described on this blog, Iggy practically ghosted him (Barry Andrews, that is). Andrews actually had to buy a copy of the album in a shop just so he could hear the end result. And he said this:

Quote:
I was flattered there were so many of my keyboards on it. Then, quite quickly, I realized it had none of the virtues of a good Iggy Pop record.

So, there you have it.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2023 03:29
  • Post subject:
First off, thanks for those amazing write-ups!!! Just love your knowledge on this stuff. And...

Quote:
Of course, someone eventually decided to put this stuff in the Wikipedia article, and you know what happens to historical accuracy when that happens. Dancing

I didn't! lol. But, I'm not surprised either. I've noticed that AllMusic gets this kinda stuff wrong too. I still LOVE that backstory though. I can totally picture it.

So I checked out Party again today on my ride back from my daughter's JV basketball game, and I just cracked a beer now that I'm settled on the sofa. Here r my thoughts...

Negative Fucks
aka 4am Bars

Party by Iggy Pop

"I'll put you on the hit parade
Everybody will know your name"
'Iggy!'
But man, Solomon
Who does my name belong to then?
- Eggs On A Plate

Iggy Pop does not give a fuck. He just doesn't. At least that's how it sounds on this - Party - and his other two records released on Arista records - New Values and Soldier in the late70s/early 80s. He's just going to do his thing, and he doesn't really care. As AllMusic rightly points out in their review of this album, even when Iggy tries to sell out, he just can't. It's just not in him. And that's what makes Party (and Soldier before it) so fucking good and indispensable for someone like me. These two albums have been a breath of fresh air. Taking me back to the time when music felt outright dangerous. <Unhinged! Twisted Evil > As if anything could happen. Like it's a Saturday night at a 4am bar. But mostly, there's just something very authentic about this album. In the way that a Daniel Johnston album is authentic.

There's really nothing else like Iggy's Arista Trilogy. By anyone. It's completely PUNK while not being punk rock. In fact, I'd argue that these three album are quintessential late 70s/early 80s punk. Before there were rules. Before there was expectations. Before Iggy gave a fuck.

It's certainly cooler than Blah Blah Blah. I'll tell you that much.
<BUT, Soldier is definitely superior! This Party had a hangover!>

The Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/02/2023 06:08
  • Post subject:
So far I think Shadowfall by Silver Bullet is my standout for January of 2023. In that month a lot of middling, forgettable metal was being highlighted so it was quite nice to see something in the power metal sphere that was not absolute trash. Good melodies and guitar dynamics with solid production.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/02/2023 20:00
  • Post subject:
This is my top 10 for January at the time with Iggy in there as well and it's his best since ages:

La La Land by Guided By Voices
One Day by Fucked Up
Chaos & Colour by Uriah Heep
Strays by Margo Price
Turn The Car Around by Gaz Coombes
Late Developers by Belle And Sebastian
Every Loser by Iggy Pop
Say I Won’t by Bass Drum Of Death
The Power And The Glory by The Bad Ends
Gigi’s Recovery by The Murder Capital

I must say I haven't heard anything that really blew my mind for this year yet (even not the new Fucked Up album to which I was really looking forward because I liked their 2022 mini album very much) but Margo Price was a pleasant surprise.
I'll certainly check out the Silver Bullet album as well because if you only have Uriah Heep to keep up the harder stuff...
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2023 03:10
MadhattanJack wrote:
Repo wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on Every Loser? Is it another notch in his well-notched belt or should he just hang it up already?

I liked it, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't still hang it up. Basically, this is the first album he's done in several years on which he's made a real effort to hide the fact that his voice is aging, and he was only partially successful at it. But because he was only partially successful, the effort to do that was kind of distracting — I should be critiquing individual tracks here, but instead I'm talking about how old he's getting. (He's 75!)

dihansse wrote:
This is my top 10 for January at the time with Iggy in there as well and it's his best since ages:

Fix My Face
Aka Alt Rock with a Hefty Dose of Iggy In The Night

Every Loser by Iggy Pop

The truth is it's AMAZING! Showcasing what a sympathetic producer (Andrew Watt) and a diehard, unapologetic lifer can achieve even at the end of his run. Fantastic production, sequencing and guest performances make it endlessly playable while never taking the spotlight off the star himself - Iggy Pop. Every Loser is a consolidation of Iggy's strengths and carreer high points showing that Andrew Watt knows, loves & appreciates the music of Iggy's entire career. Perhaps even MORE than Bowie did. No small feat. And if I was an aging rock star, I'd be knocking at Andrew's door RIGHT NOW! Brick wall

If this is Iggy's swan song, he essentially goes out on top! <Something I wish my boy Brady had done way back in '21!!! >

Last edited by Repo on 02/03/2023 13:54; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website