Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2023 19:15
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:

Seconded.

Glad you liked in Norman Smile
Oddisee has been one of my favourite MCs of the last 10 or so years— always looking forward to whatever he drops.

Don't sleep on his production and mixing! His instrumental stuff is some of his best IMO. This release flew under the radar, added it to my queue though and very much looking forward to it

EDIT: listened, add my third recommendation to the pile!
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/01/2023 22:25
  • Post subject:
My next two '23 listens, tomorrow, will be

New Joe Henry, can't be bad

New Lawrence (Felt, Denim, Go-Kart Mozart), new monicker, I'm interested.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2023 23:15
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

He seems to have become significantly more flippant and whimsical in his old age. What happened, did he inherit some money?

Definitely not something you see on a regular basis! Think
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/02/2023 07:27
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

I love Lawrence. Looks like he has renamed Go-Kart Mozart. Will certainly check this out today.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/05/2023 16:37
  • Post subject:
*pulls a Spotify playlist out of the snow*—

Portrait Of A Dog by Jonah Yano
BBNG-backed jazzy chillax blanket.

Saccades by Rian Treanor & Ocen James
Whatever the opposite of a BBNG-backed jazzy chillax blanket is. Maybe an African cactus being stuffed in your ear. And you like it.

Love Money by Ciara Leah
This one's only okay, but I think there's some solid merit to it— somewhere between D’Angelo and Jessie Ware, just not as good as either—

Dilijans by Ayizan
This is actually a reissue—
One of my favourite and most memorable finds during my 'worldwide diary project' was this Haitian release from '84.
Wasn't expecting it to get a reissue in the slightest, but I'm glad it did— hopefully it gets a new lease on life (at least for a sec)
Jazz/funk/soul mix, super smooth/groovy.

Eshkona by Miqedem
Makeshift attic-studio record made during lockdown in Israel.
I don't quite know how to describe this— it's a very calming/tranquil/transcending album— has that grandiose Sigur Ros/Beach House quality, but I wouldn't say it's similar to either of those acts— gotta inject a lot more indie folk-esque sounds into the mix.
(Free download on Bandcamp)

The Sound Of The Soul by Debashish Bhattacharya
This one caught my eye late last year— Hindustani classical, played on a (decked out?) Hawaiian steel/slide guitar—
I know in general this isn't the hottest genre on BEA, but it's well worth a listen— makes for a pretty great vibe.
  • Visit poster's website
Streams

• Posted: 02/05/2023 18:58
  • Post subject:
two for long tones

Ángeles Rojas - breathe into the forest, into the bird, into the song

Quatuor Bozzini - Éliane Radigue: Occam Delta XV
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/07/2023 14:17
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:

I love Lawrence. Looks like he has renamed Go-Kart Mozart. Will certainly check this out today.

Yeah, later Lawrence projects are an acquired taste but- as ever -I really like this. It's just not fair how Lawrence has always failed to sell records when he writes songs to rival anyone's! This is a very silly album but it soars well above a parody sort of record. Bonus points for including slap bass and for mentioning Whitby in the lyrics.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2023 16:38
  • Post subject:
So if you're looking for some good old fashioned "blast you in the face, ripping guitar solos" death metal, you should give this album a listen:

Contempt For A Failed Dimension by Faithxtractor

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Streams

• Posted: 02/10/2023 02:05
  • Post subject:
low and slow

Beliah / Heilbron / Majkowski / Shirley - Bertrand Denzler: Low Strings

Biliana Voutchkova & Sarah Davachi - Slow poem for Stiebler
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/16/2023 02:48
  • Post subject:
This edition of you probably already know this album but here's a blunt-ass take anyway

Desire, I Want To Turn Into You by Caroline Polachek
Caroline Polachek— nearly 20 years into her career— summons the intro to White Lotus and makes flamenco. This is a vibe. I'm not even sure what most of these songs are about. Or what she's saying. Or what it means. But it's a vibe. Bucket of solid singles, some nice tracks from under her sleeve, dragging us into this futuristic sad-summer-in-the-Mediterranean/solo-sunbathing-in-Mykonos bubble. For an album that's a sponge of different influences it's interesting how focused it is. Unique flavours everywhere, but they all go.

Raven by Kelela
I thought I listened to this wrong. It was around 7:30am, outside, bright sunny day (which, this time of the year is odd in Canada), not too cold— only took me 30 seconds to realize this is a nighttime record. Played it anyway. Just... did not click with me. Felt like the same song over and over again. Gave it a bit of a relisten later that night. Didn't help. Couldn't slug through it. I like Kelela— she has at least two pretty solid records in her pocket— but this is really cheap stuff. Nothing... happens. Vocals are thin, atmospheres are flimsy, keys/compositions/production is boring, and it's slow as can be. There's almost no variation of dynamics to anything at any point on the entire record. It's instrumentals we've all heard before with this halo-ish whine overtop. Boring. Bleh. Ugh.

Gigi's Recovery by The Murder Capital
Post-punk's really having a sec, isn't it? Honestly— about as good as a lot of 80s classics. Had it been released 40 years ago, I bet it would be a bit more coveted. As is, it'll inevitably end up being lost a couple years down the road, but I hope people bite while it's still warm. There's some legit great bits here. With any luck this revival wave continues— Squid's sophomore release's around the corner I think.

This Is Why by Paramore
Paramore released a song 10 years ago that I like, so I listened to this. It's okay-ishly-good.
The fact the band has maintained their relevance through the years while steadily maturing is kinda unique for a pop-punk band (actually, speaking of post-punk, maybe their sound is more in that circle here). Glad they're still at it and releasing better quality material. I think the first quarter of this album outweighs the rest— loses steam with that oddly French track— but it's good stuff. Energetic, entertaining, even a little funny time-to-time— not always my cup of tea, but it's got kick.

Norm by Andy Shauf
Lovely bit from Shauf. Very soft folk. A cloud with a guitar.
Doesn't look super exciting from the album cover, but it gets an easy rec from me.
Lyrics are on-point too.

Kemekem ከ​መ​ከ​ም by Ukandanz
Coming off of last year's bombastic instrumental record, Ukandanz are already back with their vocalist onboard.
These guys are so good. One of the best bands out of all of Africa right now. Top-shelf with Mdou Moctar, Etran de L'Air, Tamikrest, Tinariwen & Imarhan— really is don't-miss-it stuff. Explosive record, full of life— fantastic fusion of ethiojazz and post-punk. Probably a blast live.

Spandrel? by Evita Manji
Beautiful bit of post-experimental-deconstructed-club-IDM-synth-pop.
A hologram of nature.

Last edited by Hayden on 02/17/2023 15:32; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website