Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/05/2023 10:16
  • Post subject:

Link

A collaboration heavy record, but if you're still listening to Anti-Flag you know what you're dealing with at this point. Lies They Tell Our Children is pretty much the same thing Anti-Flag has been doing for thirty years... though its probably their most inconsistent album yet. Their politically charged lyrics are shallow and flimsy as they always have been but outside of a few songs like Work & Struggle its pretty much Anti-Flag defanged and out of steam. They sound a lot less like The Offspring and NOFX today and more like a weird aged out Sum41, which I suppose has its place. I just wish they were as fun as they used to be.

Link

Part of the current wave of underground rap in the sprawling midwest, JDmasters hits us up from Montana with a collection of quirky jazz-laced hip hop. While not on the level of a Chris Crack or other contemporaries there is a lot on For Your Leisure to enjoy.

Link

Serviceable power metal-laced folk metal that harkens back to early Tyr and Korkiplaani, Crom provides more or less what you're looking for if you're into that kind of thing on Era of Darkness. Some guitar tones ripped right from current day Amorphis and norse rhythms (as expected of the viking metal influences) bring this all together in a very palatable package. Worth a look.

Link

From Detroit, here's Boldy James.

Despite this being from my neck of the woods, I'm rather out of touch with the local scene since a bit of my environment has changed. That said, Indiana Jones is a record I didn't expect to like as much as I have. It seems a lot of people (at least on RYM, not sure about proper rap and hip hop aggerates) aren't super fond of this one, but overall I feel like this is one of those records I will like and others will pass on. The trap production, if your thing, is here. Lyrics are serviceable and the flow is not exciting but not stiff or clumsy either. Personally, I'll be checking out his work at length after this one.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2023 13:52
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Link

A collaboration heavy record, but if you're still listening to Anti-Flag you know what you're dealing with at this point. Lies They Tell Our Children is pretty much the same thing Anti-Flag has been doing for thirty years... though its probably their most inconsistent album yet. Their politically charged lyrics are shallow and flimsy as they always have been but outside of a few songs like Work & Struggle its pretty much Anti-Flag defanged and out of steam. They sound a lot less like The Offspring and NOFX today and more like a weird aged out Sum41, which I suppose has its place. I just wish they were as fun as they used to be.

Nah! I had similar thoughts on first listen. And it's definitely a commercial radio-friendly album. But it excels at that! The songs are super catchy and it has a high replay value. I'm as surprised as anyone how much I dug and listened to this album in January '23. If it hadn't been released in the very first week of January, I never would have given it a shot most likely! It's like turning on late 90s Alt Rock radio. <which I never used to do willingly! lol.>

I used to live in Pittsburgh for five years in the the early 2000s so it's great seeing these guys still killing it. The collaborations work great and add to that fun '90s let's-all-get-in-the-car and head to Newbury Comics feel.

I'm really hoping they're on Riot Fest lineup this Fall here in Chicago!!! Twisted Evil

<I'll post this on the communal FF to R thread as well at some point since it fits with that first week of January theme that I was trying to talk about. Very Happy >
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/05/2023 14:20
  • Post subject:
Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

Speaking of mediocre albums that I didn't have a lot of fun with... the new Belle & Sebastian is one of them.

Late Developers isn't terrible but it is the most random selection of songs I've heard written by this group and the music, songwriting... most of it isn't worth listening to. Bland radio indie (I Don't Know What You See in Me), faux-Arcade Fire dance songs (When You're Not With Me), and a bunch of awkward arena alternative that makes me want to listen to 00s U2 instead of finishing this album... it's not good. It's depressing. What's going on with B&S that they think this is acceptable?
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/06/2023 13:34
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

Speaking of mediocre albums that I didn't have a lot of fun with... the new Belle & Sebastian is one of them.

Late Developers isn't terrible but it is the most random selection of songs I've heard written by this group and the music, songwriting... most of it isn't worth listening to. Bland radio indie (I Don't Know What You See in Me), faux-Arcade Fire dance songs (When You're Not With Me), and a bunch of awkward arena alternative that makes me want to listen to 00s U2 instead of finishing this album... it's not good. It's depressing. What's going on with B&S that they think this is acceptable?

It’s not great, sure, but I think there are a couple of really good songs on there for B&S playlists: Evening Star (one of their better blue-eyed soul numbers) and it’s worth sticking around for the title track, which I think takes them into a more worldbeat/ gospel direction for the first time. I agree that the rest is not so interesting and you hit the mark with the bland arena indie comparison.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2023 14:12
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

I kind of feel like this has been the case with B&S for the better part of a decade now. Just about everything they've released since Writes About Love has been decent, perfectly fine and enjoyable, but ultimately slightly-better-than-mediocre albums.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2023 20:56
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Shadowfall by Silver Bullet

Release Date: 2023
Genre(s): Symphonic Power Metal
Origin: Finland

First proper review of 2023 and not just first impression-laced microreviews. Cool, right?

In the vein of Finnish legends such as Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica, Silver Bullet draws from Finland’s large pool of fondness for power metal. Sometimes incorporating progressive metal into the mix, Silver Bullet is pretty much a case of what you see is what you get.

Bruno Proveschi replaces Nils Nordling, and I’m going to be honest I think that’s the choice to make. That said, there’s not a lot of information out there yet about this record. I don’t know who produced it so I can’t wax on how it's produced by a melodic metal genius or anything, all I can tell you on the front of the tin is that there’s a new singer and that the band more-or-less has been doing their thing quietly since around 2008. By my ears, Nils had a deeper voice and less of the dynamic range that Proveschi shows us on this record right out of the gate. I see flashes of someone like Swedish singer Tommy Karevik or Spain’s Alfred Romero in Proveschi which is very good company to be in.

Overall, I’m impressed. Power Metal is by far my favorite genre of metal. I love speedy, flourishing guitarwork. I’m a big fan of grandiose melodies and harmonies, with or without the accompaniment of soaring keyboard work. If it feels good–it is good. Silver Bullet succeeds in both categories here and I just want more. Not a single song on this record inspires apathy or millennial cynicism, and in recent years I have been feeling more-and-more of it. It’s unfortunate, but the fact Silver Bullet can transport me back to the feeling I had when I discovered Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, or Stratovarius for the first time is invaluable. I think this record will be climbing my spotify queue for many months to come and possibly climb my top 20 power metal albums of all time ranking, which I’m honestly pretty surprised that I have the confidence to say with such zeal.

It's a keeper.

Favorite Track:Soul Reaper

Alright, so great recommendation, really enjoyed this. Rock solid power metal album - kind of Nightwish-y I think? I need to give it another go-round but on first listen, definitely enjoyed it, I appreciate you recommending it!

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/06/2023 23:57
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

I kind of feel like this has been the case with B&S for the better part of a decade now. Just about everything they've released since Writes About Love has been decent, perfectly fine and enjoyable, but ultimately slightly-better-than-mediocre albums.

I mean the last one I listened to was Girls In Peacetime Want To Danceand I thought it was really good??? What happened?
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2023 20:20
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Link

Very solid showing from Ruinthrone, a progressive power metal group with folk metal trappings. Very much in line with Wuthering Heights (the band, obviously) in terms of musical philosophy but also the vocalists inflections. The Unconscious Mind of Arda is a good enough album, but there are a lot of weak showings and weird sequencing. Worth a look if you are looking for a good prog-power outfit.

Definitely enjoyed this - I'm a sucker for anything Lord of the Rings-themed, so naturally I got excited when I saw the title and that one of the songs was called Earendil. I thought doing some of the songs from the perspective of the villains of the LOTR universe was a neat idea

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2023 21:13
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I thought doing some of the songs from the perspective of the villains of the LOTR universe was a neat idea

You might actually change your mind if you were to read The Last Ringbearer — it can practically ruin the entire Tolkien-world experience, for some people. Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/11/2023 20:01
  • Post subject:
Porting this here; will be updating. Assuming I don't break a text limit.

January 1 - January 7
How'd the month start for you?

Holy Water & Honey by The Lanterns
Good Company by Monday Night & 3wayslim
How Are Your Cars Driving? by Bagel Fanclub
Every Dog on Earth by We Are Only Human Once
Rai'Hea by Aika
For Your Leisure by jdmasters
Married in Mount Airy by Nicole Dollanganger

Medium Gnarly by Swiss Army Knife
Into My Garden by Greta Panettieri
The View From Above by Cusper
Human Coward Coyote by Nag

Catherine Mercy by Catherine Mercy
A Fate Worse Than Home by Iravu
Pressure Gamut by Jade Cicada

Cenotaph by Mechina
Lies They Tell Our Children by Anti-Flag
As Porphyria Once Went by Tears Seven Times

January 8 - January 14
What was YOUR favorite(s) release(s) from the week of Jan 13th?!

The Mind of a Saint by Skyzoo
Odium by Wothrosch
Oroku Saki by Mickey Diamond & Ral Duke
Second Death by Mansion
The Unconscious Mind of Arda by Ruinthorne
Pale Lungs by Pale Lungs

Endless by Leiah
The Era of Darkness by Crom
Never Going Under by Circa Waves
I'm Not Crying, You're Crying by Whitehorse
Delalma by Delalma
The Coral Tombs by Ahab
Kaleidoscope by Eir Aoi

Dying of Everything by Obituary
Internal Working Model by Liela Moss
The Caverns of Duat by Haxprocess

Late Developers by Belle & Sebastian
Beyond the Black by Beyond the Black
Omni by Centregaze

Skyblazer by Infinity's Wings
Screamer by Kingmaker

January 15 - January 21
An interesting group...

Gardening by Siv Jakobsen
Shadowfall by Silver Bullet
The Lord Knows by Tidal Wave

The Impending Fall of the Stars by Inherits the Void
The Parasitic Chambers by Conjureth

Repulsive Nature by Re-Buried
Sky Void of Stars by Katatonia
Time's Arrow by Ladytron
Музыка ветра, земли и огня by Arktida
Indiana Jones by Boldy James

ID.Entity by Riverside
Surgery Channel by C.I.A.

January 22 - January 28
Nearing the end, but not quite.

As in Gardens, So in Tombs by ...And Oceans
Phoenix by Lakecia Benjamin

Into the Void by Trastorned
Every Acre by H.C. McEntire
Battle of Ice by Marco Garau's Magic Opera
Vai / Gash by Steve Vai
Asking for a Ride by White Reaper

Vengeance Fulfilled by Third Eye
The Enigma Division by The Enigma Division

Come Get Your Wife by Elle King

January 29 - February 4
The last three days of January and the first four of February.

This Is Why by Paramore
Carousel by Vylet Pony
Innocence.Love.Sadness by Sorry...

Imperial Dawn by Rexoria

Last edited by mickilennial on 03/10/2023 17:40; edited 14 times in total
  • Visit poster's website