2023 End Of Year Lists PARTY!!! <Building 2023 Charts>

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2023 04:38
  • Post subject:
Exhibit X on why you should NEVER <ever!> let a pro wrestler loose on your live set...

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2023 14:48
  • Post subject:
musicoed wrote:

There was a moment when I also showed interest.
Some more antiques.))
DeWolff - Love, Death & In Between (3/II-2023/05) (Album) (bandcamp)

Link

Ha! I was expecting more 70s Prog, but this energized slab of Early 70s Psychedelic Blues & AOR Hard Rock with a HEAPING dose of soul has me dancing in my kitchen like Robert Forster minus all the cute glass jars. It's like taken a time machine to 1972! I bet these guys are just INSANE live!

Nothing new here, and you may even swear you've heard these songs before, but there's no question these guys are having a fun time. Great use of the organ too!

AND I definitely hear some Eagles THIS TIME < Razz !> especially on "Will 'O The Wisp"!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2023 18:38
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Fischman wrote:
As expected, I'm taking a shine to some of the progressive rock/progressive rock releases by well known to me bands:

Riverside - ID. Entity

Ah-ha clones themselves as Rush circa the "Power Windows" the fans wanted, but didn't quite get, then immediately enter cryogenics. First Tool then Ghost are streamed into their cryogenic chambers. Let the defrost begin!

Translation: I LOVE it!

Have u listened to Katatonia's Sky Void Of Stars yet, Fischman?! Any thoughts if you have?!

I have long been a fairly casual fan of Katatonia. Their brand of metal tinged with both elements of goth and prog (two things most wouldn't put together) sits nicely in my ear, but rarely grabs me in a really big way. Sky Void of Stars, an exceptionally well crafted outing (other than being relentlessly mid-tempo almost throughout) across its breadth, seems very much like the ultimate manifestation of their evolution through the blending of these subgenres. That is both good and bad. In a way, it's more of the same, just with a little added refinement. Had I heard this a decade ago and had Katatonia not taken 15 albums to get to this point, I might have really been blown away. As it is, I'm still a big fan of this album and find it a good addition to the catalog, just not as overwhelming as I would have liked to hear these guys turn out at one some point. I currently have this at #6 of the 12 albums I've bothered to rank so far in 2023, but my tastes/appreciation for these entries is still settling and depending on my mood, I could put it anywhere between #2 and #10 so far.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2023 19:02
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Gowi wrote:

and

Phoenix by Lakecia Benjamin

Holy shit! Threw this on as I was making some coffee, and it's simply FANTASTIC old school jazz! Like, if you told me it was some classic from the 60s, I'd totally believe it.

Fischman, if you're reading this, have you heard this?! Would love to get your thoughts on it!

Great, great find Gowi!

Okay, guys, I'm supposed to be the one hooking y'all up with some great new jazz, not the other way around!
As I listened to the cut @Gowi posted, I thought "This is real nice, but I kinda' like my modern jazz a little less.... well.... smooth." Yet it was certainly good enough for me to seek out the album and see what the rest was like...... and WHAM!!! Killer album!

All the more surprising as it opens with its blatantly political intentions on its sleeve. The opening siren has you leading one way, but then the spoken word to kick off the album lets you know its main thrust will be feminist rather than racial. Still, the reading is from Angela Davis, someone who's going to turn off a pretty strong majority, at least Americans who know her history. But then again, this particular quote has avoids the worst elements of her history and rather sets a stage I'm happy to be witnessing!
(on a side note, good timing here to catch this, as we enter Women's History Month)

Unexpected intros aside, this entire album is full of fascination. I don't always get into albums with multiple guest appearances as they often seem contrived. But the ones on this album are impressive, starting with a magnificent vocal from Dianne Reeves on the third cut, Mercy. The real unexpected event is the spoken word from recently departed sax giant Wayne Shorter. How interesting that he was brought on this album for his speaking voice rather than his sax.... I would love to get the story behind that!

And while the album is political at its core, it's not all anger. If anything, the album seems to encompass a large swath of contemporary life, with both its warts and its joys. The aptly titled "Jubilation" is joy through and through, with an especially joyous solo from pianist Victor Gould.

While all the musicians are excellent, and they work well together, I would be remiss if I didn't single out the leader herself for some incredible alto. Benjamin gets a lot of emotion out of her horn, and a cross a good range from song to song.
Overall, the album bears strong imprint from the Coltranes, both John with his approach to playing and soloing (especially in that transitory period between his early hard bop and the later avant garde) and Alice, who's imprint lives on in the spiritual jazz vibe this album displays so effectively. The ultimate combination of post-bop, spiritual jazz, soul jazz, and even some more modern influences makes for a unique and beautiful final product.

Yes, this is a collaboration that doesn't sound like it was put together by committee. I attribute this to Benjamin herself, a powerful artist with both a vision and the moxie to pull it off. Brilliant.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2023 16:50
  • Post subject:
Well this went pretty well, I think!!! But I just can't keep up anymore! Laughing

Thanks to all who participated! <Especially Gowi!!! >

Now I'm going <to TRY! Twisted Evil > and go back to pretending I have to purchase each album I listen to and settle on just a few albums per week! <That's just a healthier practice for me I think. >

Cheers, everyone!!! Love
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/25/2023 16:27
  • Post subject:
My album of the week and maybe even album of the year is this one:
Drag on Girard by Purling Hiss
I already liked this band but with this album they have delivered the quintessential guitar album: all tracks are great to fantastic with Something In My Basement and the two longer tracks at the end as the highlights. The only critic I have is that the singing of Mike Polizze doesn't really match the overall vibe of the album.
If I like this album as much by a second listening session, it will enter my album top 100.

Two other albums I liked from the week are:

Fish Bowl by Kate Davis
A woman and her guitar and it sounds great.

The Town That Cursed Your Name by The R...nd Purples
Again a more than decent album from this band.

No and I didn't really dig the new Depeche Mode album.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/26/2023 02:30
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
My album of the week and maybe even album of the year is this one:

Drag On Girard by Purling Hiss

I already liked this band but with this album they have delivered the quintessential guitar album: all tracks are great to fantastic with Something In My Basement and the two longer tracks at the end as the highlights. The only critic I have is that the singing of Mike Polizze doesn't really match the overall vibe of the album.
If I like this album as much by a second listening session, it will enter my album top 100.

Nice! Will check it out later tonight. I loved their first couple albums, but haven't thought of them in ages.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/29/2023 13:28
  • Post subject:

Deadfall by Roseville

A little bit of Kozelek with some flavors of Jason Isbell and Patterson Hood. Sad, dreary, but also evocative.

Link

Chérie by Theo Lawrence

Country AOTY (so far)

French singer-songwriter, Theo Lawrence crafts an homage to how country used to sound between 1965 and 1975 with tons of genius and wit. Worth hearing.

Link

The Land, The Water, The Sky by Black Belt Eagle Scout

My favorite album of 2023 so far. Gutwrenching introspective anxiety and longing, with musicality reminiscent of peak Idaho and Red House Painters. I cried last night over and over and over as it played on loop. Beautiful. Masterful. Amazing. I loved it.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2023 14:17
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

The Land, The Water, The Sky by Black Belt Eagle Scout

My favorite album of 2023 so far. Gutwrenching introspective anxiety and longing, with musicality reminiscent of peak Idaho and Red House Painters. I cried last night over and over and over as it played on loop. Beautiful. Masterful. Amazing. I loved it.

Me too!!! It's way up there!
  • Visit poster's website
musicoed

Russia

• Posted: 03/31/2023 19:37
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

Fish Bowl by Kate Davis
A woman and her guitar and it sounds great. ...

Link

The release was included in the list of contenders for the March 2023 bet as well as:
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - V (17/III-2023/11) (Album)

V by Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Link

However, the level was below the allowable rate.
My choice was the album that I was saving for the end of the year.
But until December, my rating opportunities may completely reset.
КДИМБ [KDIMB] - Знаки Любви (1/III-2023/09) (Album) (youtube)

Link

To my great surprise, at the end of March, I gave the second place to:
Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd (24/III-2023/12) (Album)

Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Unde...na Del Rey
There are a lot of good tracks, but most importantly, this is a perfectly progressive album.
The best song is at the end.
It's a pity I can't offer it, the release is completely blocked for us.
  • Visit poster's website